THE BRITISH THREAD II

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:20 am
@McTag,
The Conservatives say, Britain should be integrated into American sports leagues like the NFL
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:23 am
bump
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:23 am
bump
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:38 am
@Kolyo,
A lot of it is supporting the local boys, or where you were born, or who your parents supported. There are those who do try t pick winners though, but not so much.

I think a lot of the Scouser's resentment goes back to Gillett and Hicks ownership of the club.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 11:13 am
@izzythepush,
And now Fenway Sports Group owns the club, registered in the USA.
Why are English clubs owned overseas? Their responses
Twenty-eight English clubs are now owned overseas

St Mary's Football Group Limited, btw, is owned by the German-born Swiss Katharina Liebherr.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 12:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I know, she's done a good job.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 11:15 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

or who your parents supported.

Aha!

I actually do have a team like that, Birmingham City -- the club my father grew up cheering on. Lovely team, not even the best or even the second best in their general metropolitan area. I follow them in the sense of looking at the Championship table every month to see how they're getting on, but I also need a team I can actually watch play on TV now and then, and Liverpool play that role in my life.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2015 03:00 pm

Muslim migrants fleeing from Libya throw 12 Christian fellow refugees off the boat and into the Med, to drown.

They are trying to get to Italy.

Isn't that where the Vatican is?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 06:28 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
They are trying to get to Italy.

Isn't that where the Vatican is?
Alone between April 10 and 16, over 10,000 refuge8
es were rescued by Italian naval vessels.
[In 2014, a total of 219,000 refugees were rescued as they attempted to cross the Mediterranean to Europe from Africa and the Middle East.]

Neither the Vatican, nor San Marino, both countries within Italy, have a navy.

But the UK is leading in Europe taking refugees and asylum seekers?
McTag

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 01:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

Quote:
Neither the Vatican, nor San Marino, both countries within Italy, have a navy.

I only wondered about the wisdom (or logic) of heading, for sanctuary, to the country which is the HQ of the christian (catholic) church while jettisoning christians overboard.
roger

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 02:05 pm
@McTag,
Put it like that and it doesn't sound like they have been receiving good advice.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 02:12 pm
@McTag,
The are all heading to Italy, because it's the nearest country - the Vatican City State is without access to the Mediterranean Sea. (The extraterritorial property Castel Gandolfo has only sea view.) - and of course due the historical connections between Libya and Italy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 02:23 pm
@roger,
Last year more than 170,000 refugees and migrants arrived in Italy by boat, making the crossing to Sicily or the tiny island of Lampedusa, Italy’s southernmost territory good advice or not, Italy is the nearest country "on the other side". (Malta got thousands as well, though.)
ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 02:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
On throwing off the christians, both a heinous and stupid act, it might have been a reaction to difficulty on the sea, a listing boat (no, I don't know that, just imagining), and in huge fear, picking on those who are different.

Or not.

I wonder if we will learn more about how that happened.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 02:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
While the Vatican officially doesn't accept refugees/asylm seekers, several dozens stay in some basilicas in Rome, extraterritorial Vatican ground.
(In Germany, church asylum is given mainly to those, who should be send back - 237 Protestant and Roman Catholic churches gave church asylum to 426 persons [April numbers].)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 02:40 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I wonder if we will learn more about how that happened.
It has been published, and those who did it, are already identified by the Italian police.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 03:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Righto, but I'm wondering about the exact situation, what was going on with them to kill those "others". Had they been in whatever 'wait for a boat' camps together? Listened to praying that was not of their religion? Was there a leader in this?

The guardian (I presume it was but I do read other news) had an article with someone interviewing a person or persons waiting fairly recently, how desperate they were. Recently enough that I wonder what happened to the interview-ee.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 07:08 am
Happy St George's Day!
(St. George: a Syria-born Roman army soldier of Greek heritage.)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 03:15 am
Latest edition to the Profanisaurus.

Clarkson n. A loud and objectionable bottom burp that smacks you in the face so hard that you end up going to the nearest A&E complaining of dizziness. A fracarse.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 05:09 pm
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEb6kjZWAAApQga.png:large