THE BRITISH THREAD II

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 06:38 am
@izzythepush,
Anytime I'm looking out of the living room window, I'm reminded on the German European owner of the Saints. Wink

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ngaku8.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 09:10 am
Last night I caught a bit of a very tongue in cheek horror film. Cockneys vs Zombies. This bit is brilliant where Dudley Sutton justifies calling the undead trafalgars.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 09:11 am
bump
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 09:11 am
Bump
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 01:51 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Just wondering: as it seems, the UK will leave the EU

Don't bet on it.
According to tomorrow's print edition of Spiegel, the German Foreign Office and the Chancellery now think it to be quite possible: Merkel is said to have told Cameron that he nearly reached the "point of no return", and she would stop supporting him, if he really wants to change the fundamental principles of the EU.
McTag

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 12:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

If Frau Merkel stops supporting him, that'll probably make him want to stay in.

Anyhoo, Alex Salmond made it clear on Andrew Marr this morning that if England wants to leave, it won't be taking Scotland with it.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2014 04:21 am

I think the wallowing in "Remembrance" seen over the last few weeks in Britain, culminating on Sunday and yesterday's anniversary, and whipped up to a point beyond what is necessary or appropriate by the media, has been distasteful almost to the point of being obscene.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2014 04:29 am
@McTag,
I don't know if I agree with you there Tag. It is the centenary after all, and one thing that has been very much in evidence is the recognition of the part played by non white soldiers, including Moslems.

If enough time in spent recognising the horror of war, then hopefully we won't get drawn into another Iraq.
McTag

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2014 08:16 am
@izzythepush,

It's all the honeyed words that grate.
We are told that young people who have been gulled and misled into an illegal and stupid war and had limbs lost as a result, are "heroes".
We learn from the lips of countless retired generals, and churchmen of every stripe, that the laying down of one's life for one's friends is the greatest form of love. Frightened people misled, bombed and machine-gunned to bits, that's who did the laying down of life.

Fine, that volunteers signed up and went to war to support a cause, but the PR and odious hand-wringing which follows, everlastingly and seemingly increasingly, is sickening.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2014 08:43 am
@McTag,
Actually, that's something about which I think all my life: even as a conscript I knew that being a soldier isn't something where only can get hurt if you don't watch the falling don pens from the desk.

However, it might gave some patriotic feelings when you remember those, who helped winning a war, and died for it. (That's why here on the coming Sunday, we remember all those who died in armed conflicts or as the victims of violent oppression.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2014 09:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
http://i62.tinypic.com/5wgj0j.jpg

'Others forget but we remember', the BNP said of the traditional Remebrance Day silence on Twitter today, only they managed to forget the very date that the First World War ended on themselves.

The fiercely patriotic far-right party reminded followers to observe a two-minute silence at 11am on 12 November, and it took them a good four hours to realise their error.
Source
izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2014 09:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That says it all.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2014 09:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I wonder what they thought was going on yesterday.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2014 09:51 am
@ehBeth,
BNP supporters don't usually get up before 11am, and I doubt Jeremy Kyle mentioned it.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2014 12:54 pm
Some idiot coward(s) have been voting down posts that are rude about the BNP. Typical of cowardly creeps.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 04:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Hey Walt, how come your commemorations are held a week after ours? The usual order seems reversed. You guys are usually first.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 08:58 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Hey Walt, how come your commemorations are held a week after ours? The usual order seems reversed. You guys are usually first.
Actually, the Prussians started it, as a kind of "unified" public holiday of the "Buß- und Bettag" (Day of Repentance and Prayer), which was hold by the various Protestant, Lutheran, Reformed etc churches in their kingdom on ... well, various days in November.
This was later taken by other German states as well: Wednesday before November 23, or eleven days before the first Sunday of Advent.

During the war, this day was celebrated on the Sunday following its actual date. After the war it was established as during Prussian time ... until
we lost this statutory non-working Wednesday a couple of years ago.

The Volkstrauertag was created during the Weimar Republic, on what Catholics considered Reminiscere (the second Sunday of Lent). It wasn't a public holiday until the Nazi time. They called it "Heldengedenktag" (Day of Commemoration of Heroes).

After the war, it became again what it had been during the Weimar Republic period - and because of the relation to Advent, the date is the Sunday nearest 16 November, i.e. in the period from 13 November to 19 November.

McTag

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 09:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Good answer. Ich bedanke mich.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2014 01:13 pm

I liked this short letter from the paper today:

"If no-one was bribed to let Qatar have the World Cup, Fifa are more stupid than we thought."
McTag

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 03:27 pm

Wembley: ENGLAND 0, GERMANY 3

Bloody hell, even their women's team is better than ours.

Maybe our men could give them a game.