THE BRITISH THREAD II

izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 02:47 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
With such rhetorical skills you should be advising Alastair Darling, I wonder why he hasn't mentioned such dangers.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 02:48 pm
@McTag,
It's very hard to imagine you're arguing with anyone other than a 15 year old boy.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 03:16 am
I'm presently working on the translation of Mussolini's speeches. My wish is to make them accessible to a modern audience, so each paragraph is followed by a smiley face.
McTag

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 03:18 am
bum
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 03:24 am
@blatham,
Quote:
I'm presently working on the translation of Mussolini's speeches. My wish is to make them accessible to a modern audience, so each paragraph is followed by a smiley face.

Presently I'll have more coffee.
Currently I'm deciding what to do today. My better half has gone hiking and youth-hostelling (staying overnight in a hostel in Yorkshire).
Mussolini's speeches will lose some of their comic effect unless you can put in the actions.

Has anyone recently reflected on the fact that, looking at the current situation in the Middle East (excluding Israel, I'm really referring to the IS advances) that of all the armaments being used to attack and slaughter, none were manufactured in the Middle East? We supplied all this stuff.
blatham

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 03:31 am
@McTag,
Yeah. Something to do with profit-taking, the sacred pursuit.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 04:02 am
@blatham,
Why broach such a subject on The British Thread?

Never mind.
McTag

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 05:17 am
@izzythepush,

Quote:
Why broach such a subject on The British Thread?

Scots take a broad view of world events. That's why we're so successful.
You think we're not involved in Iraq? Who drew up the boundaries in 1918, and invaded along with Dubya of happy memory? The Brits, that's who. This is an appropriate subject for this thread, by your leave.
The Brits have fucked it up, then assisted others in ******* it up.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 05:18 am
@McTag,
I was talking about Mussolini, not Iraq.
McTag

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 05:21 am
@izzythepush,

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Sorry. But I think he was making a point about emoticons.

Smile Wink Shocked Cool Drunk
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 10:26 am
Quote:
McTag said: My better half has gone hiking and youth-hostelling (staying overnight in a hostel in Yorkshire).

What cheek! I hope you and her are not jock spies planted in England to spy on the Fylingdales radar station in Yorks!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 10:47 am
@McTag,
Quote:
But I think he was making a point about emoticons.

Might certainly be the case.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 03:50 pm
Scotland Finally Has Haggis-and-Whisky Flavored Chips
http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/08/mackies-crisps-whisky-haggis.html?om_rid=AAApgi&om_mid=_BT-3c3B88DH4YU
blatham

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 09:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
God in heaven. That's worse news than Ebola.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 12:57 am
@tsarstepan,
Those aren't chips, they're crisps. I got all excited for nothing.

Walkers crisps bring out six new flavours every year and invite people to vote on them to see what stays. I don't fancy the sound of these.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-G-Rp_fPk1Tw/U95RBrpYs7I/AAAAAAAAJak/dqn-cnBWIoc/s1600/IMG_4618.jpg
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 02:11 am

I see sterling is expected to slump badly on the world markets if the Jocks vote YES in the freedom referendum.

Oh heck. Maybe we should use the Kroner or the Euro after all.

You all probably know that King James VI of Scotland became King James I of Britain when the union of the crowns took place, back in the day.
But when our current queen was crowned in 1953, she was given the title Queen Elizabeth II, although there never had been a Queen Elizabeth I of Britain.
Why was that, do you think?

That is an example of English arrogance, and that is the kind of thing we don't like.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 03:12 am
@McTag,
We get it Tag, you hate us, and it doesn't matter what we do, you'll always hate us. You still think that an independent Scotland should be bailed out by English banks if it goes bankrupt, now that's arrogance for you.
McTag

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 05:17 am
@izzythepush,

Well that's one way of avoiding the question. I don't think I used the word "hate", either.
But there's no getting round the fact there is a whiff of xenophobia around the Yes campaign; which is regrettable, imho.
McTag

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 05:33 am
@McTag,

There's a song about this; it's satirical in intent, although you won't understand it:

"Nae Liz the twa, nae Lily but the wan...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zpk5FYeaDM
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 08:46 am
@McTag,
Avoiding the (what I assumed was a rhetorical) question? You're saying we should have adopted the regnal number of the least populous nation?

I really don't care any more. I'm sick of our news channels being taken up with Scotland Decides all the time. I'm sick of seeing Salmond and Sturgeon all the time. I'm also sick of being told what to do, "We will have a currency union, there will be no borders." And I'm sick of English jobs going from Portsmouth to Glasgow, for what? It's not like they're at all grateful.