White House Under Fire for Human Rights Abuses Again

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 06:57 am
Well, actually, that's not the topic, but at least I got you to open the thread.

Quote:
Anti-Kremlin protesters beaten by police

[size=7]POSTED: 5:30 p.m. EST, March 3, 2007 [/size]
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia (AP) -- Police clubbed protesters and dragged them into waiting buses on Saturday in response to a defiant demonstration against the Kremlin in the heart of President Vladimir Putin's hometown.

Several thousand members of liberal and leftist groups chanted "Shame!" as they marched down St. Petersburg's main avenue to protest what they said was Russia's rollback from democracy. The demonstration, called the March of Those Who Disagree, was a rare gathering of the country's often fractious opposition.....

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/03/03/russia.protest.ap/index.html

Where's all the outrage from our European members? If our president has a tie that doesn't match his shirt, they have posts saying how hateful the US is.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,368 • Replies: 67
No top replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 08:35 am
It's true. White House human rights abuses are piling up. "Bush Administration push for privatization may have helped create Walter Reed 'disaster'" shame shame shame
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 08:44 am
Well, Brandon, it has been a prohibited march (only a demonstartion at another place was allowed) organised mainly by the Bolsevic Party.

Reason for the -allowed- demonstration was that the communists aren't pleased with the outcome of the municipal elections in St. Petersburg.

Of course, you should back the commies in a democracy, even the ultras.

Thanks for starting this support thread.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 09:46 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, Brandon, it has been a prohibited march (only a demonstartion at another place was allowed) organised mainly by the Bolsevic Party.

Reason for the -allowed- demonstration was that the communists aren't pleased with the outcome of the municipal elections in St. Petersburg.

Of course, you should back the commies in a democracy, even the ultras.

Thanks for starting this support thread.

The most egregious human rights violations and atrocities by the non-US are met with a deafening silence by the America haters.

Can we say, "double standard?"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 09:56 am
You mean .... Eh, what exactly equals in this example the situation in the USA?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:05 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
You mean .... Eh, what exactly equals in this example the situation in the USA?

No, I mean that any problem in the US, whether big, or tiny, or even imaginary, bring forth threads of indignation here, yet severe abuses or atrocities anywhere else are ignored.

Psssst.......reliable sources inform this reporter that one of the president's aides was observed in a DC supermarket going through the "10 items or less" line with 11 items.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:14 am
Hmm, and a critic of the Russia's KGB secret service and Putin was shot outside his suburban-Washington home the other day.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:16 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Hmm, and a critic of the Russia's KGB secret service and Putin was shot outside his suburban-Washington home the other day.

By President Bush himself, no doubt.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:27 am
He Putin's firnd, you mean?

So it really was him who clubbed those commies in St. Petersburg?

Well, hadn't surprised me at all.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:36 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
He Putin's firnd, you mean?

So it really was him who clubbed those commies in St. Petersburg?

Well, hadn't surprised me at all.

How in your mind does beating and arresting peaceful demonstrators in St. Petersburg, Russia get justified by an assasination in Washington? I didn't say that America has no faults. I said that America's faults are the source of loud indignation on A2K, whereas the most hideous faults of other countries are ignored. You're both ignoring and demonstrating my point.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:40 am
If you REALLY want to grab someone's attention you should make the header something like "George W Bush in Homosexual Sex Scandal".
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:42 am
NickFun wrote:
If you REALLY want to grab someone's attention you should make the header something like "George W Bush in Homosexual Sex Scandal".

Good point.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:52 am
Okay. Let's switc back to serious discussion.

This demonstartion was about and resulting in the previous local elections in St. Peterburg.

I fully agree that the Russian voting system and the the influence by the central government isn't what we would call a democratic system.

This has nothing to do that the (political) situation in St. Petersburg always has been ... well, a bit reminding to the Stalin area.

Therefor, most have been glad that the old Bolchevics and Stalin supporters have been outruled by Putin.

I agree with you, Brandon, that they certainly have a right to demonstrate.
I don't know why they only got the allowance to do on a certain place but decided not to follow the courts ruling and start an illegal march.

When such happens here, we try to hinder that with legal methods. Unfortunately, the police sometimes can be very rude.

Same seems to be in St. Petersburg, or even worse there.

Okay, what is your personal opinion to the election in St. Pertersburg, Brandon?

Why didn't YOU say anything before when the Bocevics were not allowed to take part in that election? (At least they say so.)
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:59 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
...Okay, what is your personal opinion to the election in St. Pertersburg, Brandon?

Why didn't YOU say anything before when the Bocevics were not allowed to take part in that election? (At least they say so.)

I'm not required to post a protest concerning every event in the world I disapprove of. Why is it that you make a virtual career out of insulting my country on this board but remain about 99% silent about the most horrible faults of other countries?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 11:07 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/urkel2.jpg
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 11:19 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Why is it that you make a virtual career out of insulting my country on this board but remain about 99% silent about the most horrible faults of other countries?

This is an American forum, people are posting in English (even if it's not their native language), a large number of members are from America, and most topics on the politics forum are centred around events in or concerning the United States.

And you are seriously complaining that people on this forum are talking about America and the US administration?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 11:23 am
depends on who it is.... Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 11:25 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Why is it that you make a virtual career out of insulting my country on this board but remain about 99% silent about the most horrible faults of other countries?

I beg your pardon?

Just to clarify, Brandon: I'm here on this site since the very first days - before it was opened generally.
I'm not aware of making a virtual career out of anything, I'm quite content with the one in my real life.

On the other hand: I'm not here on this site to post "most horrible faults in other countries" or in the USA.
I post what I want and what the site's rules allow.

I kindly ask you to show one post where I "insulted you country".
Additionally, where I made a virtual career out of it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 11:38 am
May I step in and be serious for once?

Walter is a polite, thoughtful and insightful poster and I think anyone would agree with me.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 11:40 am
What Bear said.
0 Replies