Family files lawsuit against school over Jesus

Baldimo

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 07:47 am
Source
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know that a costume being worn by a student was the school promoting religion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,634 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:13 am
Wearing a Jesus costume for Halloween when being against pagan Halloween activities - well, you could call that kind of civil disobedience ... by an eight-year old.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:15 am
Abolish religion and the world would be a more sane and better place.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:24 am
The Christians are right on this school-- and to me it is obvious.

A student has every right to religious expression in a school, especially as part of a costume celebration. The school clearly violated this students right by singling out his costume.

The school was out of bounds, and I expect they will lose this suit.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:34 am
It does seem to be a tempest in teapot and perhaps a little sacrilegious on the part of the Christian family. The only time our local school made a fuss about a Halloween costume was when a high school boy came dressed as a tampon.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:51 am
The kid probably left his crown on the pricipal's chair.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:53 am
Sounds to me like they should win if the facts are as stated.

Kids without costumes had to go to the computer lab? What a sucky school.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 09:07 am
The "requirement" to wear a costume in order to participate in the activities was absolutely stupid and that alone should get the principal in hot water with the school board, in my opinion.

Wanna bet next year it won't be a requirement to wear one in order to be a part of the festivities there?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 09:09 am
I wonder what the principal wore?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 09:22 am
I think that it is acceptable for the kid to wear a Jesus outfit. But, for the sake of his good health, he better not wear a Mohammad outfit. I, personally, would take out a fatwa on him in this case.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 09:32 am
What the story doesn't tell you is the child was banned for alcohol after turning the water into wine.

This is nothing more than the Alliance Defense Fund's press release. It doesn't tell you much in the way of details. It's one thing to go as Jesus. It's another to proselytize and disrupt the the festivities of those witches and demons.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 09:35 am
I hear two kids came as Jesus. One of them must have been wrong.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 10:14 am
parados wrote:
What the story doesn't tell you is the child was banned for alcohol after turning the water into wine.

This is nothing more than the Alliance Defense Fund's press release. It doesn't tell you much in the way of details. It's one thing to go as Jesus. It's another to proselytize and disrupt the the festivities of those witches and demons.

I disagree with half of that.

The school can not prohibit the kid from proselytizing (without violating the first amendment). For it to do so would be violating the separation of church and state.

They can stop him from disruption-- but this is another issue altogether.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 12:02 pm
I would personally be in favor of having another kid come as Judas, who would report any misconduct by Jesus. Oversight is important in these matters.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 12:24 pm
And would any infraction be signalled with a kiss?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 12:29 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
And would any infraction be signalled with a kiss?

Only after Judas got he pieces of silver. Until that point he would kind of act like a union member.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 12:32 pm
Judas, before he received his silver from the Religious Right, was a member of Jesus' union.
0 Replies