Interesting slide show on this, from Slate.com - LINK
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,850 • Replies: 18
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 05:35 pm
Unfortunatly, there is almost NOTHING today that is original.

Everything is a small version of someone elses work, idea, or product.

I personally am glad that there are rules in place to protect people.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 05:36 pm
Oh, and after reading , and watching the article, it looks to me like it was a blatent rip off as well..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 05:45 pm
Yeh, the bridge thing seems pretty iffy, given they spoke with the first photographer..

The fellow, what was his name, Gross, had an interesting case, to me - that situation would be tough.

I also understand artists' point of view that everything, absolutely everything, is fodder...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 05:49 pm
Very true.

And I personally would be lying if I didnt say that I search through other peoples photography for ideas.

Some times out right copying a set up they have.

Not to the point that the people in the story did.
I think that was just rude.
But how do you stamp a piece of open ground as "yours"?

and if it is an easy to reach spot, are all the tourists who have taken a picture similar to that because it looks really cool.. in violation as well?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 09:47 pm
bookmark......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 09:51 pm
Aren't copyright laws set up so that you can't make money off of someone else's idea or product? I mean, if a tourist takes a snap of a famously photod scene or building for their own wall at home, it's not illegal, correct?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 10:07 pm
Well, there are some works that are supposed to be illegal to photo for copyright reasons, but most public places are usually not.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 10:08 pm
Ugh, I misspelled plagiarism in the title.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 10:38 pm
I remember something a couple of years ago that the owners of some of the iconic buildings in NYC, the Chrysler Building among them, had copyrighted their buildings and it was illegal for anyone, tourist or not, to take pictures of them without permission. Which in my opinion is carrying copyrights too damn far.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 10:41 pm
I agree with you, username.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 11:04 pm
It's funny how A2K is like a major river with all of us floating merrily along and someone, like osso in this instance, will post something that causes one to leave the river and take one of the tributaries and head to the back water where they find something of interest, then return to the gently flowing river.

In this particular case I ended up going from her photography link, through a series of smaller tributaries until I found a reference to a fascinating book by Walker Evans and James Agee, a brilliant collaboration of writer and photographer pertaining to the lives of three families in the Deep South during the height of the Great Depression.

One of Evan's photos is seen here...

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~UG97/fsa/evanspegs/evans18.jpg

There is something beautiful and timeless about that photograph and I would like to thank osso for directing me to it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 11:25 pm
You're very welcome. I spend a lot of time on tributaries myself...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 12:21 am
Wow, very poetic, Gus. I'll look into Evan's photos.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 03:13 am
Yeah, I really like the faux miniature look obtained from using the Tilt-Shift method like this one:

http://home.elp.rr.com/infrablues/2005-11-10-12-53-20.jpg

I got this web site from following some of the links in osso's link:

http://hame.ca/blog3/tiltshift/gallery/
0 Replies

wraith313

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 01:31 pm
Normally, I wouldnt call plagiarism on something like this. But seriously, if they called the guy asking for advice and then published a picture that is nearly identical to his for an art show, then yeah... that, in my opinion, qualifies as plagiarism.
0 Replies

VioletChild

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 07:49 pm
There is a girl in one of my drawing classes that sketches the exact same ideas/pictures that I have done months before her.

Very, very irritating.

Not photography..but I would still love to gouge her in the eye with my ebony stick.. Shocked
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 07:55 pm
I've been through this a bit, once married to a screenwriter. Hard to own an idea..
anyway, sympathy on that, VioletChild.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 04:43 pm
Well, this thread started out about photography and plagarism, but I'd like to expand it to other art forms -

interesting commentary on Jonathan Lethem and his play with plagarism and creativity in an article in today's Washington Post, HERE.
0 Replies