Ask the A2K cooks!

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 01:11 pm
@jcboy,
The only thing you'll definitely want to avoid making in a food processor is mashed potatoes. It turns it into paste.

If it is a strong enough motor, you can also make pizza and bread doughs in it.

Is it a Kitchen-Aid or Cuisinart?
jcboy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 01:23 pm
@Butrflynet,
It's a Cuisinart. The DVD is pretty neat to watch, teaches you have to make just about anything, it even came with a small recipe booklet!
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 01:33 pm
@jcboy,
I love my food processor, especially for making shredded carrot salad, and prepping large quantities of veggies for soups.

It is also great for making flavored butters with herbs.

You'll have a lot of fun with it.
jcboy

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 05:17 pm
@Butrflynet,
In California I always saw the signs for Anderson’s Split Pea soup but I never tried it. Found this recipe and I’m going to make it this week. I’ll be adding ham to mine though.

Anderson's Split Pea Soup

Quote:
INGREDIENTS:

8 cups water
2 cups green split peas
1 rib celery, coarsely chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 dash ground red pepper
1 bay leaf
salt
pepper

DIRECTIONS:

Combine water, peas, celery, carrot, onion, thyme, red pepper, and bay leaf in large kettle. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Boil vigorously 20 minutes, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until split peas are tender. Press soup through fine sieve and reheat just to boiling point.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 05:21 pm
@jcboy,
Make half without ham. It is a good, different, soup without it.

If you feel like you have to have protein with the meal buy some good quality Viennese sausages or something similar to serve on the side with rye bread.
jcboy

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 05:24 pm
@ehBeth,
Good idea, I should try the original recipe first, I can always experiment with it another time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 05:31 pm
@jcboy,
I know that restaurant fairly well (gah!!!), have stayed at that motel. I avoided it when I last drove through CA, staying at another motel in the Buellton area.
<raises her nose, looks away>

I just looked up a dried split pea soup recipe a few hours ago, great minds work in mysterious ways, eh? Actually, I looked some up yesterday, but the sites I saw then were talking about lentels.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotsoup/r/bl17c5.htm

I don't have ham, but I did purchase some salt pork to try it out recently. Fatty, so I'll cook that away before I add it.
We'll see.

Next time I may use an Indian lentil recipe, more my natural cooking style.
jcboy

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 05:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I can’t believe how many time I drove past that restaurant and never stopped to try the Pea Soup, Antonio isn’t fussy when it comes to different foods, I’m sure he would love it.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 06:34 pm
@jcboy,
Yeah, but I am...

Actually, I liked the canned soup when I was a kid.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 09:24 pm
@jcboy,
I've been to their restaurant several times enroute to and from SoCal. Loved their tomato soup. Haven't been able to find either the pea or tomato soups here in ABQ.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:44 am
@ossobuco,
So, yesterday, I made split pea soup for today, New Years, and used a different recipe from a website I never heard of, and then changed it a lot.

http://www.getorganized-stayorganized.com/slow-cooker-split-pea-soup.html

here's their recipe, my changes in red:

Easy Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup

16 oz Dried split peas, rinsed and sorted

3” chunk salt pork or ham bone - I used a 3/4" cut of salt pork and took it out at the end, still adding up to about that 3/4"size

4 cups chicken stock - I used six cups of water

2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2” pieces - no potatoes, but I plan to add some of my previously made potato gnocchi in the bowl when I eat the soup.

1 cup chopped carrots - I chopped a half refrigerator-pickled carrot

1 tbsp minced onion - instead, 3 minced fresh garlic cloves + a couple of tablespoons of the previous lightly cooked jalapeno/anaheim chiles I keep in olive oil in refrigerator

1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt - didn't add salt
¼ tsp thyme

Combine all ingredients in 4 quart slow cooker. Cook on low setting for 9-10 hours or on high setting for 5 hours.
Makes 6 servings.

It came out great, but greater after I added 2 cups chicken broth as it was too thick.
Still a tad bland.
So - I added 2 teaspoons of Madras Tamarind Hot Curry powder. There, that was a good idea.

jcboy

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 04:28 pm
@ossobuco,
I used my food processor and made the split pea soup. It’s delicious, came out nice and creamy. This is our vegitarian meal for the week, graded a little white cheddar cheese on top, having it with some toasted garlic bread. Antonio loves it.

http://imageshack.us/a/img163/8108/splitpea.jpg
jcboy

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 08:27 am
@jcboy,
If you enjoy cooking and aren't familiar with Chef John at foodwishes.com, you are missing out. He's my hero in both a Mariah Carey and Bonnie Tyler kind of way. I flubbed this recipe the first time because I burned my shrooms.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 09:10 am
@ossobuco,
I make one simila to yours osso but instead of salt pork I add a solid chunk of BACON.
Then, when ready to serve, add 2 T of a sweet sherry
jcboy

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 12:37 pm
@farmerman,
I used my food processor last night and made my first homemade apple pie. I’m on a diet so I haven’t tried it yet but the Puerto Rican had a piece and said it was delicious.

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/948/pielrg.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 12:50 pm
@jcboy,
Diet, schmeit, apples are good for you..
jcboy

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 12:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah but there's a lot sugar and butter in that pie Cool
Sturgis

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 12:54 pm
@jcboy,
It's known the butter all melts into the crust and sugar makes a man sexier.
jcboy

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 01:16 pm
@Sturgis,
I gained 5 lbs on my ass lol, Two more to go and back to my normal 195lbs!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 01:38 pm
@jcboy,
People do fluctuate, though I'm pretty steady f0r whatever reason myself. I've been at or around 141 for something like four years, once I got down to it. Don't really want to go lower, as some avoirdupois is protective for elders.

My recent pie crusts (well, savory torte crusts) are takeoffs on a recipe that uses olive oil. Not your flaky pie crust scene, but I don't care. (If I want flaky, I'll do an old fashioned rolled layered croissant dough, but I don't have the patience). My business partner in my last home town, who cooked somewhat french like I cook somewhat italian, gave up on the butter crusts, after years, and used canola. I suppose I can imagine doing half and half, re the type of fat.
0 Replies