Why does the god of the Bible consider slavery to be moral??

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 03:01 pm
neologist wrote:
Actually, you are right in your last statement. There two Gods mentioned in the bible.
So much for monotheism. Any other gods get an honourable mention? Zeus or Ra for instance?

And what do we call these believers in a dual God? Half way between trinitarians and muslims? Trinlims?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 03:13 pm
I have heard this before, about two Gods, from Rex. My impression is the other God is the Devil. Most Christians do not believe this. There is one God and one only. The God of the OT is the same God as the NT and Jesus is the personification of that God. In both Testaments God does not, in any manner, believe in freemdom of religion. Read Revelation and see who are the ones saved and who are thrown in the Lake of Fire.

It's very evident that the God in the OT also does not believe in freedom of worship. So the statement that there are two Gods and one believes in freedom or religion is not something that is backed up bu scriptures, unless you want to admit to another contradiction in the Bible. There are so many of them. That is perhaps why so many people are confused about what it says; and why some believe there are two Gods.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 03:14 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
neologist wrote:
Actually, you are right in your last statement. There two Gods mentioned in the bible.
So much for monotheism. Any other gods get an honourable mention? Zeus or Ra for instance?

And what do we call these believers in a dual God? Half way between trinitarians and muslims? Trinlims?

It seems Christians have no idea what to believe. Why do you think there are over 35,000 different Christian sects?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 03:35 pm
And each one claims to be the "true" church; it really is mind-boggling to think so many can believe in such nonsense.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 04:55 pm
neologist wrote:
mesquite wrote:
. . .
Is killing a tree for not bearing fruit out of season a reasonable response by any standard?
Except that it represents the judgement against those who claim to represent God, but fail to do his will. (Matthew 7: 21-23)

Ah! That explains all. The tree didn't snap to and immediately produce fruit out of season so Jesus zapped it just like Daddy would have. Guess he was a chip off the old block after all.

Did you think that response up all by yourself or is it a canned response from your library of excuses?

Why did you use that one over the response Jesus himself gave in his reply to the disciples where he alluded that his curse was an example of the power of prayer.

Mark 11:22-25 ESV

Although not quite as lame as your answer, that one is still quite sorry IMO.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 05:08 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
neologist wrote:

Actually, god # 2 doesn't care much what you call him.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 05:11 pm
neologist wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
"Do not eat from the fruit of a certain tree" is about as stupid as they come, knowing that humans would eventually enjoy eating most of the non-poisonous fruits this world has to offer.

Is god so simple-minded that he must command man not to eat fruit? What a dork!
Except for the fact that the tree represented their acquiescence to God's standards.

It wasn't anything about dietary choice, you know.

It wasn't a moral choice either as Joe so eloquently explained to you here.
With no moral compass to guide them Adam and Eve were setup for a fall. And that scenerio is completely within the character of the god portrayed throughout the Old Testament.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 05:15 pm
neologist wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
neologist wrote:

Actually, god # 2 doesn't care much what you call him.

Uh oh. Sounds like neo has his ear. Shocked
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 05:16 pm
xingu wrote:
I have heard this before, about two Gods, from Rex. My impression is the other God is the Devil. Most Christians do not believe this. . . .
The "god of this system of things" mentioned by Paul in 2 Corinthians 4:4 is the same individual who offered the kingdoms of the world to Jesus in Luke 4:6.

Many who call themselves christians have not been informed of this arrangement by their preachers and have not done the research for themselves. Keeps the preachers in bed with the politicians, but doesn't help the flock much.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 05:31 pm
mesquite wrote:
neologist wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
"Do not eat from the fruit of a certain tree" is about as stupid as they come, knowing that humans would eventually enjoy eating most of the non-poisonous fruits this world has to offer.

Is god so simple-minded that he must command man not to eat fruit? What a dork!
Except for the fact that the tree represented their acquiescence to God's standards.

It wasn't anything about dietary choice, you know.

It wasn't a moral choice either as Joe so eloquently explained to you here.
With no moral compass to guide them Adam and Eve were setup for a fall. And that scenerio is completely within the character of the god portrayed throughout the Old Testament.
Joe's attempt at explanation makes sense to those who don't wish to understand the bible. The idea that A&E were duped by God into thinking that the fruit might be dangerous and had no other relevance is a cynical implication that the consequences of their actions were either know in advance or planned by God in some sort of sadistic act of cosmic brutality.

While I realize that many hold this view, it is not consistent with the bible's account and misrepresents reality. For how could God create in mankind their frequently exhibited qualities of love and mercy if he did not possess them himself? Jesus referred to these qualities in his Sermon on the Mount. (Matthew 7:9)
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 05:59 pm
neologist wrote:
Joe's attempt at explanation makes sense to those who don't wish to understand the bible. The idea that A&E were duped by God into thinking that the fruit might be dangerous and had no other relevance is a cynical implication that the consequences of their actions were either know in advance or planned by God in some sort of sadistic act of cosmic brutality.

Joe's explanation is simple and to the point using the info given in the story. Furthermore it is backed up by other verses which show that the serpent was the truth teller.

neologist wrote:
While I realize that many hold this view, it is not consistent with the bible's account and misrepresents reality. For how could God create in mankind their frequently exhibited qualities of love and mercy if he did not possess them himself? Jesus referred to these qualities in his Sermon on the Mount. (Matthew 7:9)

It is entirely consistent with the accounting given in Genesis. You are disregarding the Genesis accounting to accommodate a different author whom wrote centuries later. The fact that the two stories are inconsistent is your conundrum.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 06:36 pm
I have no complete explanation for the tree of life other than speculation. But, as for the significance of the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, I stand pat.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 08:22 pm
neologist wrote:
I have no complete explanation for the tree of life other than speculation. But, as for the significance of the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, I stand pat.

The "tree of life" is a symbol for the human nervous system, with its branching structure. When consciousness functions through the human nervous system, "your eyes [are] opened", there is perception of the physical world, and you are aware of good and evil -- the duality of embodied existence.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 10:57 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
neologist wrote:

The "tree of life" is a symbol for the human nervous system, with its branching structure. When consciousness functions through the human nervous system, "your eyes [are] opened", there is perception of the physical world, and you are aware of good and evil -- the duality of embodied existence.
Well, I don't doubt there is a metaphorical connection; however, the tree of life referred to by skeeter seems to be a real tree, with bark and all.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 12:33 am
neologist wrote:

The tree of life is only one of the problems that verse 22 causes. It confirms that the serpent spoke the truth on both accounts as the colors show.

[4] But the serpent said to the woman, "You will not surely die.
[5] For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

[22]Then the Lord God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. "
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 01:13 am
Allow me to add some color.
mesquite wrote:
neologist wrote:

The tree of life is only one of the problems that verse 22 causes. It confirms that the serpent spoke the truth on both accounts as the colors show.

[4] But the serpent said to the woman, "You will not surely die. They are dead, are they not? [5] For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." And humans have been making "outstanding" moral decisions ever since. [/size]
[22]Then the Lord God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. "
While you are at it, can you say for certain that the tree of life was not meant for A&E to partake at a later time? Your guess is as good as mine.
Sorry if I messed up the format.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 03:51 am
oh that tree of life

thought you meant the tree of the Madonna, you know the Jewish mystic Kabbalah.

malcut yesod netzah hod tepheret hesed gevura binah hochma kether

far mor interesting that an old apple tree
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 06:08 am
Rex and Neo mentioned that there are two Gods in the Bible.

Well if you read the Bible you will find there are more than two, there are multiply Gods.

But then we get, as we see so often, contradictions. On one hand the Bible says there are many Gods. On the other it says there is only one God and none before. So which is it?

Here is an explanation by a Christian site to try to explain away the other Gods.

Quote:
How many Gods are there, one or many?

One God
(Deuteronomy 6:4) - "Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord is one!"

(Isaiah 43:10) - ". . . Before Me [YHWH] there was no God formed, and there will be none after Me."

(Isaiah 44:6) - ". . . there is no God besides Me."

(Isaiah 44:8) - ". . . And you are My witnesses. Is there any God besides Me, or is there any other Rock? I know of none."

Many gods
(Genesis 1:26) - "Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness . . ."

(Genesis 3:22) - "And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil . . ."

(Genesis 11:7) - "Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."

(1 Corinthians 8:5) - "For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords")."

(1 John 5:8) - "For there are three that bear witness, the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement."

The Bible tells us that there is only one God in all existence (Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8). However, it also mentions "other gods." For example there is Adrammelech and Anammelech (2 Kings 17:31), Asherah (1 Kings 18:19), Baal (Judges 3:1), Chemosh (Num. 21:29), Dagon (1 Sam. 5:2), Molech (Lev. 18:21; 20:2-5), etc. The Bible is not contradicting itself. When the Bible speaks of other gods it is speaking of false gods that have no true existence. Gal. 4:8 says, "Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods." See also, Isaiah 37:19 and Jeremiah 2:11. God tells us that he alone is the true God and that all of the invented gods of man do not exist except in their own minds. So, we can see that the Bible is not contradicting itself regarding how many gods there are in existence. There is only one.

Note: in the verses in Genesis that have God saying "Let us make..., Let us go down . . . , etc." are clues to the Trinitarian nature of God. God is a Trinity of persons: a Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. There are not three Gods, but one. There are those who insist that the Trinity is polytheistic. But it is not. Trinitarians believe in a single being who is God.

Now as we see the Christians say there is one God only; no other. This contradicts Rex and Neo.

Also they say the three natures of God existed since the beginning. Neo said Christ was the perfect man needed to replace Adam after Adam's fall. Otherwise man's sins would not be forgiven, or that's the way I interpret what he said. But Christ existed before Adam.

You see how confusing this gets, especially when "God" never clarified that the existence of the other Gods were false until Galatians was written. So between the OT and Galatians everyone thought the other Gods were real and no one knew of the Trinity. That wasn't created until the Christians fumbled around for a couple of hundred years trying to figure out how to define Christ.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 06:14 am
OOOOPS!

Forgot my source.

http://www.carm.org/diff/Gen1_26.htm
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 06:16 am
This site is funny. It's Christians trying to explain the Bible contradictions.

Here's one trying to explain whether one has seen on noe seen God.

Quote:
Has anyone seen God or not?
Exodus 24:9-11, Exodus 33:11; Exodus 6:2-3, John 1:18

Has seen

(Gen. 17:1) - "Now when Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him, "I am God Almighty ; Walk before Me, and be blameless;

(Gen. 18:1) Now the LORD appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, while he was sitting at the tent door in the heat of the day."

(Exodus 6:2-3) - "God spoke further to Moses and said to him, "I am the LORD; 3and I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty , but by My name, LORD, I did not make Myself known to them."

(Exodus 24:9-11) - "Then Moses went up with Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel, 10and they saw the God of Israel; and under His feet there appeared to be a pavement of sapphire, as clear as the sky itself. 11Yet He did not stretch out His hand against the nobles of the sons of Israel; and they saw God, and they ate and drank."

(Num. 12:6-8) - "He said, "Hear now My words: If there is a prophet among you, I, the LORD, shall make Myself known to him in a vision . I shall speak with him in a dream. 7"Not so, with My servant Moses, He is faithful in all My household; 8With him I speak mouth to mouth, Even openly, and not in dark sayings, And he beholds the form of the LORD. Why then were you not afraid To speak against My servant, against Moses ?"

(Acts 7:2), "And he [Stephen] said, "Hear me, brethren and fathers! The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia, before he lived in Haran. . . "

Has not seen

(Exodus 33:20) - "But He [God] said, "You cannot see My face, for no man can see Me and live !"

(John 1:18) - "No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him."

(John 5:37) - ""And the Father who sent Me, He has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time nor seen His form."

(John 6:46) - "Not that anyone has seen the Father, except the One who is from God; He has seen the Father."

(1 Tim. 6:15-16) - "He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion ! Amen."

It is evident above that God was seen. But, considering the "can't-see-God" verses, some would understandably argue that there would be a contradiction. Once explanation offered is that the people were seeing visions, or dreams, or the Angel of the LORD (Num. 22:22-26; Judges 13:1-21) and not really God Himself. But the problem is that the verses cited above do not say vision, dream, or Angel of the LORD. They say that people saw God (Exodus 24:9-11), that God was seen, and that He appeared as God Almighty (Exodus 6:2-3).

At first, this is difficult to understand. God Almighty was seen (Exodus 6:2-3) which means it was not the Angel of the Lord, for an angel is not God Almighty, and at least Moses saw God, not in a vision or dream, as the LORD Himself attests in Num. 12:6-8. If these verses mean what they say, then we naturally assume we have a contradiction. Actually, the contradiction exists in our understanding, not in the Bible--which is always the case with alleged biblical contradictions.

The solution is simple. All you need to do is accept what the Bible says. If the people of the OT were seeing God, the Almighty God, and Jesus said that no one has ever seen the Father (John 6:46), then they were seeing God Almighty, but not the Father. It was someone else in the Godhead. I suggest that they were seeing the Word before He became incarnate. In other words, they were seeing Jesus.

If God is a Trinity, then John 1:18 is not a problem either because in John chapter one, John writes about the Word (Jesus) and God (the Father). In verse 14 it says the Word became flesh. In verse 18 it says no one has seen God. Since Jesus is the Word, God then, refers to the Father. This is typically how John writes of God: as a reference to the Father. We see this verified in Jesus own words in John 6:46 where He said that no one has ever seen the Father. Therefore, Almighty God was seen, but not the Father. It was Jesus before His incarnation. There is more than one person in the Godhead and the doctrine of the Trinity must be true.

http://www.carm.org/diff/Exod6_3.htm
0 Replies