"How do you do?" vs "How are you doing?"

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 01:08 am
Hi everybody,
I read in a grammar book that "How do you do?" is different from "How are you doing?"! I wonder what might be the difference. I need a native English speaker's comments. THANKS.
Akbar Khorrami
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 16,549 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 01:50 am
"How do you do" is formal (British) English.

"How are you doing" is Americanised English. I see this sentance as less formal than the above. colloquial versions might include "howdy", "how ya doin' ".

"How are you going" is Australianised English, As is "G'day mate"

All are a greeting and mean the same thing. "Hello, please tell me you are well"

The question should not be misunderstood as please tell me all the awfull and boring things that have happened since we last met.
0 Replies

Tonyy

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 05:57 am
But I think 'how do yo do' is used when you are introduced to a person?

Tonyy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:52 am
They can both be used during an introduction. As an American, I can tell you that "How do you do?" is rarely ever uttered. Perhaps some people here say it in social settings I've never been witness to.

"How are you doing?" is much more casual, though it can also be used more formally. You probably wouldn't say this upon introduction to someone:

Littlek: "Tonyy, this is Dadpad- Dadpad, this is Tonyy."
Dadpad: "It's nice to meet you." or "I've heard a lot about you." or simply "Hi, welcome to able2know."
Tonyy: "Likewise." or "As I have you." or "Thank you, it's good to be here."

"How are you doing?" is a more open question. Usually, you are correct, it's used when you re-meet an acquaintance or old friend. As an acquaintance you'd probably respond with a "Fine, thanks, and you?" With an old friend, you could get the same. Or, you could get something much more invovled, "Well, this math class is killing me and my father just had heart surgery (he's ok). But, I just started dating this really great guy and things are going well. So, I geuss things are pretty ok. And you? How are you doing".
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:45 am
But, and this is important, in Britain the only correct response to "How do you do?" is to say "How do you do?" right back. It is not meant as a literal question and it is a social error to take it as such and give an answer to it.

This is of course totally illogical; but social formulas often are, in any language.
0 Replies

momosha

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 07:52 am
just a test, OK??
0 Replies

momosha

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 07:55 am
Re: "How do you do?" vs "How are you doing?&q
khorrami wrote:
Hi everybody,
I read in a grammar book that "How do you do?" is different from "How are you doing?"! I wonder what might be the difference. I need a native English speaker's comments. THANKS.
Akbar Khorrami

why did u say "I read in a grammar book"?? I think the "I read a grammar book" is correct.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 08:21 am
syntinen wrote:
But, and this is important, in Britain the only correct response to "How do you do?" is to say "How do you do?" right back. It is not meant as a literal question and it is a social error to take it as such and give an answer to it.

This is of course totally illogical; but social formulas often are, in any language.

Wow, I did not know that.

If someone said "how do you do to me" (I'm American) to me, I'd think they were being very polite, and I would say "Fine, thank you. And you?"

momosha, I don't think it's incorrect what khorrami wrote. Saying "I read a grammar book" would imply he/she read the entire book. It might be that section was the only part read.

I have a difficult time remembering who gets introduced to who (whom?) Confused
I know that a younger person is presented to an older person, a man to a woman, etc. However, I can only keep it straight if I think "Mrs. Important Person, I'd like to present Mr. College Student." However, in America, that would sound overly formal and affected.

Would it be correct to say "Mr. College Student, I'd like to introduce you TO Mrs. Important Person"?

BTW, I don't find myself saying "How are you doing" really, I mostly say "How are you"?

This, is certain areas, and in a very informal sense, is shortened to Howdy, or Howdy do?

I'd never say Howdy unless I heard someone else say it first, or else I'd say it in a joking way.
0 Replies

Juliar Fadillah-Kime

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 11:44 pm
@khorrami,
HOW DO YOU DO? is not really a question. It's a very formal way of saying "Hello" and is not used very much by young people today. It may be used on first meeting an accompanied by a formal handshake. You can answer with "Pleased to meet you", "How do you do" or just "Hello".

HOW ARE YOU?, on the other hand, is a question. A polite response would be "I'm fine, thanks. And you?"
0 Replies