912,548views since8-20-06, 5 stars, O'Bill says WATCH THIS!

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:39 pm
Though some of my views are pretty nutty, I think most A2Kers recognize I'm not a nut. I hereby encourage everyone to watch the free documentary linked below. Some pretty outlandish concepts, but chuck full of amazing quotes and extremely well done. Mad disagreement will result, but for entertainment value, this kicks every crockumentary I've ever seen's a$$, and has me extremely impressed.

Warning; it's long, starts with Taxes, but covers a myriad of subjects that we cover on A2K regularly... and quite a few we don't.

Without further ado, CLICK HERE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,922 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:54 pm
Can you give a synopsis for those of us who have dial-up and don't wish to spend the next hour downloading it?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:54 pm
Can you give a synopsis for those of us who have dial-up and don't wish to spend the next hour downloading it?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:58 pm
...or for those who have highspeed dsl, and are lazy?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:05 pm
It is a large array of alleged government corruption on a broad range of issues. You'll like it Snood. Trust me.
If I gave a synopsis, you'd think I was a kook for recommending it. However, the producer does an amazing job of expressing some pretty fantastic ideas. I wouldn't recommend it if I wasn't very impressed.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:16 pm
Do you know who the producer is? I'll look it up on the internet and find out what it is about that way.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:23 pm
Written and Directed by Aaron Russo.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:24 pm
Here's the commentary on the page Bill linked to:

Quote:
On 3/18 the film was shown to a packed house in St. Charles, IL about an hour outside of Chicago. Before the film was presented the ... all ยป Chairman of the "We the People Foundation" Bob Schulz spoke for about 25 min, after the film's Director spoke, for an equal 25 min, and took questions from the audience. This is the video recording of the event.

This video starts with an opening montage using still images and KMFDM's song "New American Century" followed by a few words from the founder of the "Lone Lantern Society", Gary Franchi. It then opens with a short introduction speech then Bob Shulz speaks for 20 or so min. In the middle is the trailer for the film "America: From Freedom to Fascism", followed by words from the director himself, Aaron Russo and Q/A from the audience.

The film itself is so powerful in content that once the American people see it they will know the absolute truth about the deception played on them.

The film is tenatively scheduled for release on July 4th 2006.

Topics include: The IRS Tax Fraud The Federal Reserve Lie Real ID, Microchiping Americans Free Trade Executive Orders that can eslave the American People. And more...

Shot on location at The ARCADA Theatre by LLS founder Gary Franchi
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:29 pm
Same old conspiracy crap. Income tax is illegal, part of a plot by international bankers to take over the US government, which they have succeeded in doing, blah blah woof woof. It's legal. It's constitutional. Get over it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:36 pm
Not just the same old crap, and very very entertaining. I'll place the appropriate value on the review from someone who opines from ignorance. Alternately, I'd be interested in hearing your take if you actually watched it.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:36 pm
snood wrote:

Even those who have T-1 lines, please give the members some idea as to why we should be interested in this.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:38 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
snood wrote:

Even those who have T-1 lines, please give the members some idea as to why we should be interested in this.
Snood will like it. You will love it. Watch the last half hour first if you doubt it... I did.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:41 pm
It's not getting 16,000 views a day with a perfect 5 star rating from 8,000+ respondents for nothing. Idea Almost a million people have watched it, and that's the rating... think about it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:42 pm
Review found here.

Quote:
Posted: Thurs., May 25, 2006, 8:42am PT

Aaron Russo's America from Freedom to Fascism

(Documentary)
A Cinema Libre Distribution (in the U.S.) of an All Your Freedoms production. (International sales: All Your Freedoms, Beverly Hills.) Produced, directed, written by Aaron Russo.

With: Aaron Russo; Sheldon Cohen, John Turner, Joe Banister, Sherry Jackson, Irwin Schiff, Bill Murphy, Ron Paul, Edwin Viera, C. Edward Griffin.

By LESLIE FELPERIN

"To tax and to please, no more than to love and to be wise, is not given to men," once wrote statesman Edmund Burke, and multi-hyphenate Aaron Russo is clearly one very displeased guy judging by "Aaron Russo's America From Freedom to Fascism." Libertarian-positioned docu argues almost persuasively that U.S. citizens are not legally required to pay federal income tax, and much less convincingly that country is becoming a police state via new identity laws. Pic should nevertheless stir interest when released domestically by indie distribs Cinema Libre, which has handled such similar dissenting, grassroots-marketed polemics as "Outfoxed" and "Embedded."

Eclectic resume of pic's writer-helmer-producer-narrator-presenter Russo includes manufacturing underwear, managing Bette Midler in her early years, producing boffo comedy "Trading Places," running for president on the Libertarian ticket in 2004, and making a melange of standup comedy and speechifying in "Aaron Russo's Mad as Hell," which was self-distributed on video.

With his warm Brooklyn accent and affectedly folksy manner, Russo has a genial-cum-pugnacious presence onscreen and a knack for boiling down complex arguments and issues into easily digestible, "Global Economics for Dummies" sound bites.

Cornerstone contention in "Freedom to Fascism" is that the 16th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was never properly ratified, an argument popularized in Bill Benson's controversial book "The Law That Never Was," that's cited here. Along with the foundation of the Federal Reserve Bank in 1913, introduction of federal tax system is described by Bob Schulz of the We the People Foundation, as the "greatest hoax ever perpetrated by government against the working men and women of America."

To support this point, Russo deploys interviews with former IRS agents who have joined pressure groups to fight imposition of federal tax. Other means of cinematic persuasion include cartoons, solemnly presented quotes from various illustrious (Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Goethe no less) and (in pic's view) notorious figures (banker David Rockefeller). All this is backed by ominous music, and quick inserts from popular movies to underscore points humorously. This is redolent of campaign advertising, but less convincing as journalism.One doesn't have to be a pro-Federalist to feel Russo's tendency to use shot-reverse-shots in interviews with those opposed to his view -- such as gamely participating former Tax Commissioner Sheldon Cohen --creates the impression that rhetorical sleight of hand is being used to undermine counter-argument.

However, the strong case built in pic's first half is weakened by the vaguely argued contention in the second that the land of the free is becoming anything but. Attack focuses on the Federal Reserve, the Patriot Act, the abolition of the gold standard, and not-yet-ratified plans to introduce identity chips on currency and in citizens in the future.

Film ends with rabble-rousing call to Americans to rise up through civil disobedience, refuse to vote for politicians not calling for the abolition of the Federal Reserve, resist imposition of ID cards, abolish computer voting, and don't believe the media. In short, vote Libertarian. Tech package is on a par with low-budget TV docs.

Camera (color, DV-to-35mm), James Salisbury; editors, Russo, Gabe Miller; music, David Benoit; sound, Pam Hudgens; sound editor, Suren. Reviewed at Cannes Film Festival (market), May 22, 2006. Running time: 107 MIN.

0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:42 pm
Five minutes of research reveals to me this is typical conspiratorial bullshit (key word: lone lantern society) Obill, can I hve five minutes of my life back?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:53 pm
Way better put together than some of the conspiracies you do buy into, and even includes some of them... but go ahead and join username in opining from ignorance if you must. Got any books you haven't read that you'd like to recommend?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:59 pm
Another review found here.

Quote:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 10:05 pm
O'Bill, I saw it quite some time ago. My take: great production value for the genre (read: decent budget, competent direction and editing); the genre: wingnut conspiracy rant. Even well done paranoiac fantasy remains paranoiac fantasy.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 10:07 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
It's not getting 16,000 views a day with a perfect 5 star rating from 8,000+ respondents for nothing. Idea Almost a million people have watched it, and that's the rating... think about it.

Kinda scary, no REAL scary. The word "sheeple" comes to mind.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 10:08 pm
Fair enough Timber. (Vote please)
0 Replies