The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 11:27 pm
@CalamityJane,
Sean Penn gave one of the best performances last year. I think it was his personal best performance of his storied career.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 11:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

This was a DVD I bought at a garage sale. Looks to be a TV mini series. Based on Gore Vidal's book: Lincoln. The first installment was engrossing. I plan to watch the next today. I forget the actor who plays Abe. Mary Tyler Moore does a very good Mrs Lincoln.

I haven't seen it but I looked it up ...
Lincoln (1988) (TV)
Sam Waterston ... Abraham Lincoln
Mary Tyler Moore ... Mary Todd Lincoln

He's a pretty impressive actor, despite his constant shilling for TD Ameritrade/and its older corporate renditions (which name eludes me as of now).
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 05:39 am
@tsarstepan,
I greatly enjoyed the first part, but the second seemed to somehow rush the ending and was less satisfying.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 02:19 pm
Just watched "Star Trek" last night.

It is the best movie of the group of Star Trek films. Not only is it fun to watch but for those of us who have watched the original episodes so often that they have taken on a narrative not unlike myths did to the human pysche for people before mass commuication, they inform an ardent viewer with a multi-dimensional aspect of even the slighest issues of the old series. With this film the entire cannon of the old shows ought to be revisited with the additional pyschological and emotional insight of the characters and how they came to hold such endearing trust with one another.

Watching Spock's childhood and struggles towards a Vulcan adulthood and the submission of emotion to logic mean so much more knowing of the dichotomy he faced while being ridiculed as a half-breed. It sets up a cornacopia of insights towards how the character was portrayed in earlier ST films and simply how amused the character must have felt when those around him considered him simply a logic system with legs.

Watching a young James Tiberius Kirk drive his motorcycle up to the Federation Spaceport was a hoot, and I chuckled to myself.........."Wow! "James Dean in Outer Space!"

ps: gonna' watch it again tonight. Warp speed ahead!
panzade

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 02:31 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Last night I watched 'No Country for Old Men'.

Good review...I agree
panzade

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 02:34 pm
@kuvasz,
Quote:
Just watched "Star Trek" last night.

Saw it in a spiffy new theater. Awesome movie.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 02:37 pm
Watched the end of the Cold War wandering spy film Ronin, starring Robert De Niro. It was mildly exciting but had an anticlimactic ending.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 04:53 pm
Just watched "Love Field" with Michelle Pfeiffer and Dennis Haysbert on DVD . Was expecting something kinda schmaltzy, and was pleasantly suprised.
eoe

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 05:02 pm
@snood,
I liked Michelle Pfeiffer's performance. She really captured the obsession with John and Jackie Kennedy back then and the whole Camelot atmosphere. But I was so annoyed by her thoughtlessness and the danger she continuously put Dennis Haysbert's character in. I haven't seen it in awhile but I remember expecting a whole lot of trouble for him because of her and that bothered me. How many Black men were lynched throughout history because of oblivious bubbleheads?
aidan

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 05:09 pm
@panzade,
But do you know how/if the wife got the money? I think I missed that, but I had to return the movie so I didn't have time to rewind it or rewatch it to catch that part- (if they even explained it at all that is).
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 05:10 pm
@eoe,
I was trying to remember the end of Love Field and I don't so my above response may be off the mark? Wish there was a way to delete it. Sorry.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 02:58 am
Youtube has the greatest stockpile of MST3k!

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 12:30 am
Just rewatched my favorite Coen Brother's film, Fargo. I'm now watching the DVD extra of the Charlie Rose interview of the brothers and actress Frances McDormand.
Letty

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsar, The Coen Brothers also did O Brother Where Art Thou. It was supposed to be based on the journeys of Odysseus, then I found out they had never read The Odyssey.

Watched Johnny Depp in "From Hell". It was supposed to be based on Jack the Ripper. Very sad ending
0 Replies

Barry The Mod

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:17 am
My birthday boy today.H R.Giger.Where would Ridley be without him today....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3QqKlpOZE0
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:35 pm
@Barry The Mod,
Scott was a production designer before he was a director and you always see that fundamental talent at work in every one of his films -- he obviously tells the production designer what he wants in good detail. That he chose Giger is part of his genius -- how many films have emulated Blade Runner and Alien in their artistic look?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:40 pm
Time Warner cable mailed me a year's worth of .99 PPV coupons, so I used the January for "Julie and Julia" and enjoyed it without much reservation. Streep managed to embody the character and personality of Julia without doing an imitation. The supporting cast, including Stanley Tucci as the husband, managed to hold their own with such a strong central performance.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 09:40 am
A couple of days ago, I watched Casablanca on Blu-Ray. Wow! It was like looking at a different film than I had remembered.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:33 am
Just watched Michael Bay's The Island the other night. What a derivative piece of crap.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:45 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:
A couple of days ago, I watched Casablanca on Blu-Ray. Wow! It was like looking at a different film than I had remembered.

Thanks! Just ordered it from amazon...can't wait!