The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 06:41 am
The 50s science fiction movie, "When World's Collide," based on the novel by Phillip Wylie.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 06:48 am
aidan wrote:
I saw Perfume last week-end. I liked it. It was very strange and I thought, very beautifully made. I liked the story quality of the narration and the cinemetography. The entire production had this dream-like, almost fairy-tale quality to it that I enjoyed although that's exactly what the person I saw it with didn't like about it.

I enjoyed the performances, especially the lead character, played by an actor I'd never seen before, and Dustin Hoffman's.
I think it's worth the 6 pounds or 10 dollars (or equivalent) to see it - but it's definitely not a mainstream, action packed mystery or thriller, so don't go expecting that.

I haven't read the book, but the movie has inspired me to.

Is that from the Patrick Suskind book?

I had no idea there was a film, if so.

Oh my!

Wonderful book.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 12:01 pm
dlowan wrote:
aidan wrote:
I saw Perfume last week-end. I liked it. It was very strange and I thought, very beautifully made. I liked the story quality of the narration and the cinemetography. The entire production had this dream-like, almost fairy-tale quality to it that I enjoyed although that's exactly what the person I saw it with didn't like about it.

I enjoyed the performances, especially the lead character, played by an actor I'd never seen before, and Dustin Hoffman's.
I think it's worth the 6 pounds or 10 dollars (or equivalent) to see it - but it's definitely not a mainstream, action packed mystery or thriller, so don't go expecting that.

I haven't read the book, but the movie has inspired me to.

Is that from the Patrick Suskind book?

I had no idea there was a film, if so.

Oh my!

Wonderful book.

Sure is SEE HERE.I've never read the book but a couple of people I know that have thaught it pretty much unfilmable.Gonna catch it at the local multi-plex tomorrow.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 03:52 pm
Watched two last night:

"Stay" with Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts, and
"Breakfast on Pluto" with Cilian Murphy and Liam Neeson.

"Stay" was interesting and made you wonder what on earth was going on, but the explanation for the weird events was a little bit disappointing, because it's been done before-- can't say in what movie, because it would be a spoiler, but trust me, it was the exact same plot device. It would be comparable to another movie doing the short-term memory loss and backward story telling of Memento, if you see what I mean-- not that you can't do the same idea another movie has already done, but this was not even a little bit of a twist on the idea, just recycling the very same thing. They recycled it well, but still...Anybody else seen it, have any feelings on that?

"Breakfast on Pluto" was just delightful. I loved it. Not for everybody, I think it would be too quirky and cute for some, but really well acted and a sweet story. Cilian Murphy did an incredibly good job as "Kitten"-- so funny and so believable.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:46 am
Just finished watching a documentary on HBO about the filthiest joke in the world. The movie is called "The Aristocrats." Laughed so hard I had to stop the movie so I could catch my breath.

Still gasping and chuckling.

In case you're wondering how an entire documentary can be about one joke, the premise of the joke remains relatively unchanged and the punchline remains relatively unchanged. But the middle varies dramatically, depending on who's telling the joke. Among the people in the movie were George Carlin, John Stewart, Drew Carey, Robin Williams, Whoopie Goldberg, Shelley Berman, Don Rickles, Phyllis Diller, Richard Jeni, Penn and Teller, Paul Reiser, Stephen Wright, Gilbert Gottfried. And many more.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:50 am
Roberta - you are going to love Kickycan.

~~~~~~~~

The last movie I made it through was on TVO's Saturday Night at the Movies last week - a double feature - The Party and Dr. Strangelove.

Still grinning.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:50 am
Watched "Get Shorty" last night.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:10 am
ehBeth wrote:
Roberta - you are going to love Kickycan.

Huh? Did he tell you this joke? Sorry, ehbeth. I don't get the connection. Question
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 03:41 am
I saw Miss Potter at the weekend.
A beautiful story, great harmless, entertaining film.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 03:50 am
I watched "The day of The Jackal", but just before the attempted assassination of De Gaul, I fell asleep.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 12:15 am
I am watching Ocean's Twelve.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 04:42 am
I saw Eragon in the cinema on 23. December.
I don't know when I saw a film on DVD, or TV.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 02:24 am
Watched FLYBOYS on DVD at the week-end.
Set in WW1,it's based around the true story of the Lafayette Escadrille who were a bunch of guys from the USA who went to France to fly planes against the Germans.
This could have been a half descent film if they would have cut out the totally unnecessary love story.It also crams in as many wartime cliches as possible.There isn't a move or a beat that I didn't see coming.It's only when the action takes to the air that this film manages to lift off.The dog-fights are very good and the C.G. work looks convincing.
It's fun and technically well made but overly long.
The final shot of the film shows a photo of the actual Aces and it's very jarring.With this one image,you are suddenly reawakened to the odd fact that the romantic comic book adventure you have just watched has some actual basis in the lives and deaths of real men.Instead of being the inspiring image this film was clearly intended to be,it makes the last two hours seem somewhat cheap and expliotative.

P.S. I loved the wing commanders pet mascot ( in reality there were two ),sooooooo much cooler than your average black labrador :wink:
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 06:42 am
Saw a small and kinda strange movie called "When Zachary Beaver Came to Town." About two kids growing up in a small town. A traveling "freak show" arrives on the scene, with one attraction--Zachary Beaver, the fattest boy in the world.

The movie had its moments. Touching, funny, sad.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:55 am
barrythemod wrote:
The final shot of the film shows a photo of the actual Aces and it's very jarring.With this one image,you are suddenly reawakened to the odd fact that the romantic comic book adventure you have just watched has some actual basis in the lives and deaths of real men.

If you look up the story of the real man behind the character of the black pilot, Eugen Bullard, you also scratch your head about the US society of those days. The guy, being a patriot, moves from the French to the US air force when the US enters the way, but is never allowed to fly. A hero in France and acquainted with many of the big names of Paris in the interbellum, upon returning to the US after the fall of France in 1940 he did not become a mail pilot like the character in the movie, but ends his days as a lift attendant. Such a waste.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 11:54 pm
More often than not,we all see a film on the recomendation of others.This film I watched on DVD.
FROZEN was recomended by the film director Ken Russell to the singer (and avid film fan) Leo Sayer,in the early days of Celebrity Big Brother.After a quick search,I found it on Bensons World.
To quote The Guardian "A thoughtful,beautiful film that puts Shirley Henderson's capability as a female lead beyond question."
Shirley Henderson ???? Who she ?????. She's better known to Harry Potter fans as Moaning Myrtle,the spirit that lives in the school toilets.
Frozen is a story about a girl trying to find out why her sister disappeared without a trace.While this film may not be the fast paced thriller that resolves all of the lingering questions in an easy manner,it's a surreal meditation on grief and death.
Another good low buget British film to rank alongside London To Brighton
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 07:03 am
Watched Nanny McPhee last night. It had its moments, but basically I thought it was mediocre at best.
0 Replies

strawberry333

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 10:36 am
Breakfast at Tiffanys
Just watched Breakfast at Tiffany's the other day, on the American Movie Classic Channel- what a great film.

The host who introduced the movie mentioned that Truman Capote was VERY unhappy with the casting of Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly. I've also heard that when he wrote the book, the character he had in mind was Marilyn Monroe. Has anybody else heard this?

Can you imagine that movie without Audrey?!
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 05:44 am
Re: Breakfast at Tiffanys
strawberry333 wrote:
Just watched Breakfast at Tiffany's the other day, on the American Movie Classic Channel- what a great film.

The host who introduced the movie mentioned that Truman Capote was VERY unhappy with the casting of Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly. I've also heard that when he wrote the book, the character he had in mind was Marilyn Monroe. Has anybody else heard this?

Can you imagine that movie without Audrey?!

I gladly gave up my Christmas Eve celebrations,along with 250 others,to watch Audrey,on the big screen at Greenwich Picturehouse,in this,one of my favorite films EVER.Holly's charachter ALWAYS new where she was going,wether right or wrong.
Capote may have been a great storyteller,but what did he know of casting actors.If he had gotten his way in casting Monroe,where would that beautiful airhead have taken this film.Hepburn was an actress.Monroe was a musical "comedienne".To take things to the extreem,imagin Monroe as Sister Luke.Nuf said.
0 Replies

strawberry333

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 10:13 am
Well said Barry. Although I have never actually seen The Nun's Story, or heard much about it. Is it worth renting?
0 Replies