The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

plainoldme

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 07:24 pm
@dlowan,
Because of the way ignorant legal procedures destroyed a great mind?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 08:21 pm
Saw Kiss Me Deadly last night.
Wow
Va-va-Voom! Pretty POW!
Quote:
[The epigrammatic greeting signifies the film's lesser and greater episodes of speed, orgasm, explosiveness, and cataclysmic finale.]

A cheap film noir classic($400,000 budget) full of unknowns(Cloris Leachman in her first role) that dazzled France and her directors Truffaut and Goddard.
It earns a 97% from Rotten Tomatoes , as it should ; it is the precursor of New Wave Cinema.
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BODAyMTQxMjg5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzUzNzA2NA@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg
glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 09:49 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Quote:
Im just glad I didn't watch it in 1972.

I did
It left me blue.

I watched it last night and was completely bummed out. I'm a lot older than I was in 1972, I still find it dismal and predatory. Sigh
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 07:12 pm
M*A*S*H on Netflix is tagged as "New Episodes." Oh really? Cool
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 07:43 pm
@panzade,
Cloris Leachman was sexy as hell to me when she was younger.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 08:14 pm
@snood,
When Cloris pretty-ups she could look pretty fine.
snood

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 09:42 am
@glitterbag,
http://d1g4sq00ps2bp3.cloudfront.net/entertainment/15436.jpg
panzade

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 10:39 am
@snood,
What a doll
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 05:43 pm
So, I finished "There Will Be Blood". It took me 2 nights to watch it because at 2 hours and 38 minutes, it was quite boring until the last 30 minutes.

So, was this just the oil prospector version of Citizen Kane? But in this one, the bad guy seems to win, kinda. I don't get it. Seemed overrated. Cool
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 05:53 pm
@jcboy,
ya hadda be there. Howard Stern was huckstering the flick
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 06:02 pm
I saw Doom. It was a load of old bollocks but I really liked it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 08:16 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

So, I finished "There Will Be Blood". It took me 2 nights to watch it because at 2 hours and 38 minutes, it was quite boring until the last 30 minutes.

So, was this just the oil prospector version of Citizen Kane? But in this one, the bad guy seems to win, kinda. I don't get it. Seemed overrated. Cool

Omigod jcboy - I tried so hard to sit through that Academy-awarded "masterpiece". I thought it was garbage.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 12:28 pm
@snood,
I really was looking forward to that film, and I was sorely disappointed.
snood

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 03:24 pm
@glitterbag,
I know. I like Daniel Day-Lewis, too.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 08:33 pm
@snood,
She was a beauty contest winner. I don't remember which contest but she won.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 08:35 pm
Last year marked the centennial of the beginning of World War 1. To celebrate, and educate about, WWI, a international consortium of filmmakers from Canada, Britain, France, Holland, Germany, Russia and Austria put together an amazing documentary which is called "14 -- Diaries of the Great War" for its American release.

When it aired on the BBC, it was called "Great War Diaries."

You can watch it on Netflix and I highly recommend that you do.
I learned almost nothing of WWI in school because we never reached the 20th C in history class. All I knew about was the murder of Archduke Francis Ferdinand, trench warfare, gas and the late entry of America.
This program -- which mixes live action with vintage footage and animation -- tells a fuller story. Centered on the diaries of 14 people from several nations and supplemented by letters and passages from other diaries, this documentary is more in line with current historiography, anthropology and archaeology which emphasizes the lives of common people.

First, it is honest with the fact that the death of the Archduke had nothing to do with the cause of the war which was actually the buildup of armaments across Europe. That is the commercial cause of the war. Politically, each combatant had its own reasons for going to war.
While I knew that mental problems suffered by combatants was ridiculed from reportage of the changes in attitudes, I had no idea how widespread the suffering of the people was.

I should have known because I had read that farmers in France often plough up the remains of WWI soldiers and that what used to be called the Benelux nations are fully of spent armaments.

What stands out for me are the two people -- German artist Kathe Kollwitz and English journalist Charles Edward Montague -- both pacifists who became involved personally: Kollwitz through the enlistment and death of her teenaged son and Montague through his efforts to experience war first hand and document it.

The other telling characters are the child diarists: Yves Congar of France, Elfriede Kuhr of Germany and the Cossack Marina Yurlova. Congar sees the Germans haul off his father; Elfriede sees babies die of malnutrition and Marina leaves her village to search for her father and becomes a soldier herself, earning Czarist Russia's highest military honor at 16 and then spending time in an asylum before her release and emigration to the US where she wrote two autobiographies.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 08:35 pm
Last year marked the centennial of the beginning of World War 1. To celebrate, and educate about, WWI, a international consortium of filmmakers from Canada, Britain, France, Holland, Germany, Russia and Austria put together an amazing documentary which is called "14 -- Diaries of the Great War" for its American release.

When it aired on the BBC, it was called "Great War Diaries."

You can watch it on Netflix and I highly recommend that you do.
I learned almost nothing of WWI in school because we never reached the 20th C in history class. All I knew about was the murder of Archduke Francis Ferdinand, trench warfare, gas and the late entry of America.
This program -- which mixes live action with vintage footage and animation -- tells a fuller story. Centered on the diaries of 14 people from several nations and supplemented by letters and passages from other diaries, this documentary is more in line with current historiography, anthropology and archaeology which emphasizes the lives of common people.

First, it is honest with the fact that the death of the Archduke had nothing to do with the cause of the war which was actually the buildup of armaments across Europe. That is the commercial cause of the war. Politically, each combatant had its own reasons for going to war.
While I knew that mental problems suffered by combatants was ridiculed from reportage of the changes in attitudes, I had no idea how widespread the suffering of the people was.

I should have known because I had read that farmers in France often plough up the remains of WWI soldiers and that what used to be called the Benelux nations are fully of spent armaments.

What stands out for me are the two people -- German artist Kathe Kollwitz and English journalist Charles Edward Montague -- both pacifists who became involved personally: Kollwitz through the enlistment and death of her teenaged son and Montague through his efforts to experience war first hand and document it.

The other telling characters are the child diarists: Yves Congar of France, Elfriede Kuhr of Germany and the Cossack Marina Yurlova. Congar sees the Germans haul off his father; Elfriede sees babies die of malnutrition and Marina leaves her village to search for her father and becomes a soldier herself, earning Czarist Russia's highest military honor at 16 and then spending time in an asylum before her release and emigration to the US where she wrote two autobiographies.
panzade

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 11:12 am
@plainoldme,
Thanks for an awesome post.
snood

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 11:57 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

She was a beauty contest winner. I don't remember which contest but she won.

In 1946, while attending Northwestern University, Leachman competed in the Miss America pageant as Miss Chicago. (good ole Wikipedia)
plainoldme

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 10:01 pm
@panzade,
You are welcome.
0 Replies