The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Kolyo

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 09:28 pm
Leaving No Trace / Sin Dejar Huella (2000, Mexico)

Fun Mexican version of Thelma and Louise. Beautiful scenes of the Mexican countryside.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 01:37 pm
@glitterbag,
Foxfire is a Joyce Carol Oates book about girl street gangs.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1772270/combined
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 01:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
and also a seris of "Living off the Grid" books that were really popular among hippies in the late 60's.

http://modernsurvivalonline.com/want-the-foxfire-series-download-before-it-is-too-late/
glitterbag

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 07:21 pm
@farmerman,
I remember when Dupont closed off access to his estate with that tank. Did that happen before he murdered the coach?
jcboy

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 10:04 am
I absolutely loved the 2004 version of Battlestar Galactica until the end that sucked. I made it through the original 1978 version easily (only 1 season, 24 episodes) despite it being kinda silly at times.

I forced myself to watch all 10 horrible episodes of Galactica 1980 just to be a completist. That show was like Dukes of Hazzard meets CHiPs meets Knight Rider with none of the good qualities.

And now I've watched 5 minutes of the first episode of Caprica (the 2010 prequel to the 2004 BSG) and it looks like ****. Someone tell me it's not worth watching 19 episodes (considering it was canceled and there will be no resolution anyway).
Cool
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 10:53 am
@jcboy,
Caprica wasn't interesting to say the list. It had some intriguing bits. Definitely not perfect. Some of the characters were annoying. If the powers that be decide to throw together one more resolution episode/tv movie that ties it together with its future sibling series Battlestar Galactica than go ahead and watch the series. If not... don't bother.
firefly

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 04:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
I watched Boyhood and found it surprisingly engrossing--the 2 hours and 45 minutes seemed to go by relatively quickly. Filming it over 12 years did give it a realistic dimension that could not be otherwise achieved--it was like watching the passage of time. Quite a good film.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 06:39 am
@firefly,
I loved Boyhood as well. I thought the continuity was amazing.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 01:42 pm
I saw "Brassed Off" on the tv. It's about a group of English coal miners in a brass band competition. The mine is about to be shut down, and the miners have to decide whether to continue in the completion or else give it all up. Two orchestral pieces are performed in their entirety: a work by Rodrigo and the last part of the "William Tell Overture." The Rossini work is stunning with an incredible, virtuosic trumpet section.

The title has a double meaning: one refers to the brass competition, and the other is the anger of the miners to the impending loss of employment.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115744/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 06:56 pm
Watched the 1958 politically themed film "The Last Hurrah", directed by John Ford, starring Spencer Tracy and featuring an excellent supporting cast of well known aging character actors. It's the kind of well made film that's a pleasure to watch, with a particularly fine performance by Tracy. The naturalness of his acting was really remarkable.

And I finally managed to see "The Breakfast Club", a film that's now celebrating its 30th anniversary, and I'm very glad I finally caught up with it, even if that took me several decades. It's still a touching portrayal of high school adolescent angst, and it doesn't seem particularly dated even 30 years later. Definitely worth seeing.

glitterbag

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 08:44 pm
Unfortunately we want to see the new MadMax movie. I hated every single second of the film. Im not going to describe the movie because I'll just get pissed off all over again. Maybe another day.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 10:25 am
Last night we watch a movie on PPV starring Michael Douglas called “Beyond the Reach” it got five stars but I was a little bored with it.

“A high-rolling corporate shark and his impoverished young guide play the most dangerous game during a hunting trip in the Mojave Desert.”

The best part of the movie was his co-star Jeremy Irvine, he’s easy on the eyes.
Cool

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 01:53 pm
@firefly,
Agree on "Club"
Still worth seeing.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 05:56 pm
@glitterbag,
When DuPont killed the wrestler he was immediately taken in custody nd never returned. There was abook on the history of the Dupont family and it mentioned that he hd"problems for which he was being treated" .I think he was pleaded out with insanity and styed the rest of his days in one of the Dupont hospitals (probably had a special wing for him)

Last night we watched
Big Eyes", a Tim Burton movie about Walter and Margaret Keane. The artists who specialized in big eyed waifs.
It could have been a chlock fest but Tim Burton alays manaeges to extract and show the darker sides of his subjects. He does it with humor also.

They chose Chritopher Waltz (you may remember him as the SS colonel in "Inglorious Basterds")

glitterbag

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 06:49 pm
@farmerman,
I saw "Big Eyes" listed on the on demand line-up. Im going to try to see it later this week, I do love Tim Burton films.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 11:06 pm
Watched the unusual documentary Red Hollywood. I can highly recommend it. A glimpse of Hollywood and politics of the late 40s almost to 1960. It consisted of 50 films in which the ten blacklisted writers participated.

It made me think back to taking the pledge to only see films approved by the Legion of Decency, a Catholic rating service. I wonder how many of those films were condemned by the Legion.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 12:17 pm
Another British film, "Little Voice," somewhat thematically related to "Brassed Off" because of the music theme, is a fictional portrayal of the real-life Jane Horrocks, a sort of singing mime, but an excellent singer in her own right. In the film little voice--her name by her mother--is an extremely shy introvert with an overbearing, self-serving, obnoxious mother. Little voice does little but listen to her treasured lp record collection of famous female vocalists. But she has a splendid singing voice and is overheard by a would-be impresario who manages to get her a performance in a local club.

When viewing this movie don't be put off by the opening sequences dominated by her obnoxious, loud mother. It does get better and climaxes with a wonderful singing performance by Jane Horrocks.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 09:55 pm
@coluber2001,
I saw it years ago in the theatre and liked it.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 09:57 pm
I watched the first episode of Grace and Frankie or was it Frankie and Grace? Either way, I did not like it. Badly written and full of stereotypes. The set decoration upstaged the actors.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 09:13 pm
Wow! No one is posting here.

I just watched The Butler. It was a little too sentimental but well acted. While it was inspired by a true story, the script took some liberties and invented a character or two. I can see that the invented son made the movie more interesting . . . but . . .

Some of the casting was surprising. Not Forest Whitaker in the lead and not Oprah as the man's wife. An unrecognizable Mariah Carey played his mother in a non-speaking role. Cuba Gooding, Jr., and Lenny Kravitz had supporting roles.

But, Robin Williams as Dwight Eisenhower? John Cusack with a bit of a prosthetic nose as Richard Nixon? Actually, Cusack was very good.
I don't know the actors who played the Kennedys -- James Marsden and Minka Kelly -- although she looked like Jackie in profile.

Liev Schreiber as LBJ? Alan Rickman as Ronald Reagan with Jane Fonda as Nancy. Schreiber performed with zest, including a scene on the toilet. Rickman was so unrecognizable that I guessed he was Kevin Costner but he had that still hesitancy that reagan sometimes had. And while Jane Fonda also looked a bit like Nancy, thanks to wigs and makeup, Jane Fonda is tall and Nancy (is she dead yet?) is short..
0 Replies