The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

glitterbag

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 03:23 am
@plainoldme,
Michael Caine can play anything, caught the last part of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, it was great.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2015 05:37 pm
@glitterbag,
I love Michael Caine.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 05:31 pm
The biopic of Roger Ebert, Life Itself. A wonderful opportunity to learn about Ebert.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 11:51 am
Atlantic City by Louis Malle.
It kills me when European directors come over and capture American culture so perfectly.
With a dying city as a backdrop Burt Lancaster and Susan Sarandon struggle to survive amidst con men, thugs and has-beens.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 12:59 pm
I watched "the imagination game" on demand last night. Very interesting film, certainly worth seeing.
panzade

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 02:29 pm
@glitterbag,
fascinating subject
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 04:18 pm
My wife is taking an online film appreciation class from her university and we've been watching some classics like Seven Samuri, 400 Blows City Lights that she's been assigned to watch and analyse. They're all great movies. I had already seen 400 Blows and the rest of the series directed by François Truffaut based on the main character, Antoine Doinel.
Real Music

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 01:39 pm
@glitterbag,
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is a very funny movie. My favorite scene is when Michael Caine's character was whacking Steve Martin's character across the front of his legs with that cane or switch. That scene was so hilarious that I had more tears from laughing than Steve Martin had tears from crying.
panzade

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 02:04 pm
@Real Music,
Agreed. Great scene in a funny movie.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 02:13 pm
@barrythemod,
There was a great movie that originally aired 1995 on HBO called Tuskegee Airmen. It starred Laurence Fishburne. Outstanding movie. Outstanding story. If you ever get a chance to see this movie, I suggest watching it on Blu-ray. Blu-ray will give a full view of the video screen. DVD for this movie chops off the top and bottom part of video screen. Also, don't confuse this great movie with the movie Red Tails. Although, Red Tails is also a story about the Tuskegee airmen, that movie is not very good. Although the movie Red Tails has a much bigger budget and way better special effects, the movie is no where close to being as good as the original HBO movie Tuskegee Airman.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 04:53 pm
@Real Music,
I've seen it, it is a good film.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 08:32 am
I watched Constantine's Sword based on the book by James Carroll and featuring Carroll as narrator. Both the book and the film trace the history of the interactions between the Catholic Church and the Jews. What makes the film poignant is Carroll's father was an Air Force general and the film addresses some young Air Force Academy cadets who experience anti-Semitism. There are some memoir aspects of the film as well but I think that Carroll represents people whose lives took them beyond the lives their parents might have laid out for them. Interesting and well done.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 10:40 am
@InfraBlue,
I'm taking the Turner Classic Movie film appreciation class.
My professor is Robert Osborne Very Happy

They ran Bogey's movies last week and I collected them on my VCR
I had seen Casablanca numerous times but never all the way through.
What a wonderful film...
and what a wonderful series.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 02:29 pm
Netflix currently has a series available called Hollywood's Best Film Directors which features half-hour programs of the directors simply talking into the camera. It opened with Ivan Reitman who seemed like a very real and nice person. I would think he would be the ideal flight companion. As I had the flu this weekend and drifted in and out of sleep, I missed some of the directors. I saw a part of one who bored me to tears, I have no idea who he is. I liked Francis Ford Coppola's take on writing: It is like daydreaming. He tries not to read what he writes until he is done because he knows he will not like what he wrote and will tinker with it.

I think the series offers real insights and the sort of people frequenting this thread would enjoy it. You can always skip the ones who bore you.
panzade

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 03:42 pm
@plainoldme,
Thanks for the tip.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 08:08 pm
Netflix is running an old BBC series of docudramas under the series title Egypt, dealing with explorers and archaeologists. It is well acted and well costumed. Worth the time to watch.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 09:36 pm
@plainoldme,
mr.glitterbag and I watched "foxfire" over the weekend. Steve Carrel's performance was superb and disturbing. I recommend you see it, but not if you recently got laid off or are going thru a divorce
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 05:39 pm
@glitterbag,
Glitterbag? Don't you mean Foxcatcher?
~~~~~~~~

http://www.arrugaslapelicula.com/en/

Just finished watching the exquisitely charming animated film from Spain: Wrinkles (2011).

I'm not going to age as gracefully as Emilio and Miguel. A beautiful depiction of friendship! It would be a crime for this lovely movie to go unrecognized by you. Trust me! Go out of your way to find it. It's well worth it.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 06:42 pm
@glitterbag,
Yikes, you're right, it was Foxcatcher.
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 07:35 pm
@glitterbag,
I saw FoxCather and, because we live near where it happened and the story was so much more than the movie portrayed (Like the weird habits that Dupont had even beyond those in the movie and how his family connections kept him from being arrested earlier in his life). I think Dupont family had some kind of control over the content and, as such, the movie was a bomb.

The onl thing I thought was neat was how they got that big nose on Carrell in such a seamless fashion.
The Dupont nose and chin were subjects of cartoons when Pete Dupont was Delawares Governor.
0 Replies