The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 10:13 pm
@glitterbag,
Jake Gyllenhaal's snub by the Academy brought about almost as much criticism as the Lego Movie snub.

~~
Went to a screening of the ACADEMY AWARD-NOMINATED ANIMATED SHORT FILMS 2015 tonight.
http://www.ifccenter.com/films/academy-award-nominated-animated-short- films-2015/

Me and My Moulton (2014): 10/10
Feast (2014): 10/10 (rewatch)
The Bigger Picture (2014): 8/10
A Single Life (2014): 8/10
The Dam Keeper (2014): 9/10

Additional animated short films seen tonight:
Sweet Cocoon (2014): 7/10
Footprints (2014/II): 8/10
Duet (2014/II): 8/10
Histoires de bus (2014): 8/10

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 02:26 pm
@Lordyaswas,
oooh, must look this up, loved the first series
carloslebaron

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 10:07 am
I love sarcasm in humor, so I watched Harold and Maude one more time after years.

I had a great time again.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 01:25 am
@djjd62,
We picked up "John Wick" on demand, pretty bloody and implausible revenge flick that starts after a Russian mafia big wheel's stupid son decides to steal a vintage 1970 mustang from John Wick. They inflict enough damage to piss off Wick, who apparently is a bad ass assassin. Everybody can fill in the rest, we've all seen the same movie before. However, William Defoe is in the movie and he's always worth the price of a ticket.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 08:38 am
Not a movie but I have been watching the PBS series, Shakespeare Uncovered. Each segment is hosted by an actor who has appeared in the play being discussed. There is a nice mix of film clips of various performances of the plays, commentary from scholars, remarks from the actors about their roles as well as establishing the context in which each play was written.

I am not an Anti-Avonian. In fact, I may be the Anti-anti-Avonian largely because I feel that the-someone-other-than-the-uneducated-guy-from-the-boondocks wrote the plays denies that an individual can rise and triumph.

I will accept that the plays were collaborative -- which they just might have been.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 11:05 am
@plainoldme,
Talking of which I recently saw The Tempest with Helen Mirren. A very good performance from all. The only thing that spoiled it for me was having that twat Russel Brand playing Trinculo. He didn't do a bad job I suppose, but he's a complete arsehole.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1274300/
glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 11:23 am
@izzythepush,
I can imagine Brand can be a handful, but he was interviewed on 'Morning Joe' on MSNBC and he ate them for lunch. It was definitely the most refreshing interview I've ever seen, I still laugh just thinking about it. Our morning 'news' shows are cringe worthy, they give me a brain cramp. However, Russell Brand's appearance was a must see moment.
panzade

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 01:36 pm
@glitterbag,
Saw Hitchcock last night and...Mirren...wow she is good,
Laughed when Alfred spelled out his nickname: H-I-T-C-H hold the Cock
mismi

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 04:33 pm
I saw Live Die Repeat...with Tom Cruise.

I laughed! I thought it was entertaining. Would have died if I had seen in it the theater though.

Also saw the Book Thief again last night. Love Love Love
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 09:35 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

I saw Live Die Repeat...with Tom Cruise.

I laughed! I thought it was entertaining. Would have died if I had seen in it the theater though.

I truly enjoyed this one on the IMAX screen. More so then Christopher Nolan's Interstellar (2014).
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 09:48 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Saw Hitchcock last night and...Mirren...wow she is good,
Laughed when Alfred spelled out his nickname: H-I-T-C-H hold the Cock

I liked that movie, and Helen Mirren is super talented.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2015 09:04 pm
@glitterbag,
We watched 'Whip Lash', my head is spinning. I understand what JK Simmons won the award for best supporting actor.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 10:34 pm
@glitterbag,
Stumbled onto channel IFC and their playing back to back Tarantino movies. Right now I'm watching 'Inglorious Bastards' for the 500th time. I find a new detail every time I watch that film.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 10:56 am
@glitterbag,
Was flipping through the channels and came across Mr.Winkle Goes To War.

A 1944 film with Ruth Warrick and Edward G. Robinson, it's a mildly entertaining movie in which we get to see Robinson playing a meek sort of fellow with oodles of humility. Not what I normally associate him with.

Definitely worth taking a look at.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 08:08 pm
I had never seen The Cider House Rules.
It was awesome.
Michael Caine - American accent and all.
Toby Maguire
Charlize Theron and my favorite supporting actor,
Delroy Lindo who stole the movie Get Shorty.
John Irving cut out whole sections of his book but he did a credible job of editing.
Highly recommend it and all of Lasse Hallstrom's movies.
magicharry11

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 01:41 am
@barrythemod,
Rocky 2 on VHS, Rocky 5 on DVD and Lion King on TV.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 07:26 am
@panzade,
I gotta say that Get Shorty was one of the most clever movies I've ever seen. It seemed like a piece of fluff...but it was anything but! Tremendous performances by the entire cast...and belly laughs (real belly laughs) throughout.

It also was the first movie I ever saw James Gandolfini in...and I knew he was a treasure immediately.
panzade

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 12:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Agreed on Gandolfini. He was great
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 11:02 pm
@panzade,
There is something about Michael Caine.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 11:06 pm
A BTW: I was in a bookstore today and saw a photo of Robert DeNiro which must have been taken when he was in his 20s. It seems like he was never that young.
0 Replies