The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Gonzales

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 04:26 am
@barrythemod,
Scent Of A Woman great movie!

I was watched Transformers 4 - ****!
panzade

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 09:49 am
@Gonzales,
Welcome to A2K Gonzo and yes...Pacino owned that movie.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 12:22 am
Watched the movie The Immigrant because it stars Marion Cotillard who was so brilliant in La Vie en Rose. Her costars were Joaquin Phoenix and Jeremy Renner, who was nominated for an Oscar for The Hurt Locker. In other words, the acting was super.

But the script was . . . well . . . disturbing. The idea was to replicate a movie from the 20's, which it did. But, I had to continually remind myself that that was the movie's goal, because it just was not believable. The sets and photography were amazing. The women who played the sister and aunt of Cotillard's character, while not as attractive as Marion, had facial structures that made it possible to think those women were related.

It was more good than bad but not a winner.
Germlat

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 06:50 pm
@plainoldme,
Loved Edith Piaf's voice my whole life so " la vie en rose". I must check out. I thought she was a disturbed character in real life...so I bet it can't be pretty.
snood

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 07:45 am
I know the title of the thread says "DVD, VHS or TV", but...
I have always been a fan of James Brown. I saw him at the peak of his powers in the early 70's. His music has been part of the theme music of my whole life. I've always felt like kind of a kindred spirit. Heck, we even share a birthday.
So it was with no small anticipation I went to the opening day of "Get On Up".
I think Chadwick Boseman is a good actor, and I think he really did Jackie Robinson justice in "42". And there were other, supporting actors in this movie who did a good job. But I did not like the movie. I'd rather they'd used an unknown actor who could better approximate JB than Boseman could - it just wasn't a good physical match. And I'm fine with taking dramatic license, but they got way too artsy for me - constant asides by JB directly to the audience, and constant jumping from one point in his life to another - I'd rather they just told the story in chronological order. James Brown's life and talent would certainly be enough to entertain without all the mumbo jumbo. Shoot. I should've gone to see the Planet of the Apes Movie.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 08:21 am
@snood,
To me, most bipics suck, with a few exceptions. I liked James Brown a lot myself. Saw him at Madison Square Garden in '68.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 08:50 am
@snood,
Great review. Now go see Eastwood's Jersey Boys and report back.
Redbird537

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 09:08 am
@barrythemod,
I don't generally watch tv, dvds or anything like that. I've enjoyed the perks of Netflix and watching the series they have without commercials. However, I did watch television the other night with my father. He was watching Woman in Red. I'd never seen the movie, but I must say it was extremely corny, really raunchy, and kind of funny. I couldn't get over Gene Wilder.. I just kept imagining him as Willy Wonka throughout the whole movie.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 10:57 am
@Redbird537,
I thought Gene Wilder in Willy Wonka was a master piece. It was classic genius in how he played the part, and the whole environment in which it was created.

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 01:55 pm
@Germlat,
The movie was super because Cotillard is so brilliant. Piaf did not have a life anyone would envy, despite her enormous success.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 05:13 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Great review. Now go see Eastwood's Jersey Boys and report back.

Not that big a fan of the Four Seasons. and not in a hurry to see another biopic. But why don't you "report" what you thought, if you saw it?
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 05:31 pm
Watched The love Punch the other night.
A feel good, funny rom/com. Effortlessly funny.
Really enjoyed the movie, great cast.

Trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcQRfxWIoyc
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 01:36 pm
@snood,
Rats.

I wanted to go see that. I LOVE James Brown.

Thanks for the head's up.
panzade

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 02:27 pm
@snood,
Quote:
But why don't you "report" what you thought, if you saw it?

I haven't seen it and was hoping you had.
And would write another good review.
But it seems I annoyed you.
Apologies.
snood

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 02:33 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Rats.

I wanted to go see that. I LOVE James Brown.

Thanks for the head's up.

Well a lot of reviewers seemed to love it, so mebbe you wouldn't dislike it as much as me.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 02:33 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Quote:
But why don't you "report" what you thought, if you saw it?

I haven't seen it and was hoping you had.
And would write another good review.
But it seems I annoyed you.
Apologies.

No apologies necessary. sorry if I was brusque.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 03:56 pm
Just watched an episode of Stargate SG-1, i've never been a big fan of it and only watched it because the O'Neill character is a mature adult guy and not a younger immature bozo, but my interest dropped a helluva lot of notches tonight because Daniel Jackson came back to life in it, despite being killed off in an earlier episode.
Whenever scriptwriters in any show bring characters back to life it proves they're struggling and running out of fresh ideas, and also cheats and insults the viewers!
I'll watch it even less after this..
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 10:25 pm
Just finished watching The Desolation of Smaug, the second of Peter JAckson's Hobbit movies. I liked it but . . . the orcs are poor fighters. While they are big, fiercely scarred and blood-thirsty, they're poor at aiming as are all movie bad guys.

I watched some scenes from the old 1950s Western Cheyenne and thought the fights were better. At least Cheyenne took a few falls before beating the bad guys and his clothes were dirty after a fight. Not so Legolas.

And although I loved Smaug, I had the feeling Benedict Cumberbatch was doing his best Sean Connery. I did feel the fight with Smaug was a tad videogamish.

But, at least the movie features Ian McKellen, a wise choice to play Gandalf, and Martin Freeman, another wise choice. All in all, a worthwhile entertainment but one I am glad to have seen at home.
panzade

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 10:56 am
@plainoldme,
Nice review
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 09:10 pm
Just watched 'The Wall' on TV, a 2012 sci-fi film about a woman trapped by a force field (the "wall") in a mountain valley..
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1745686/

********Spoiler********
It was a load of krap, we never saw any aliens or hardly anybody else, she just mooched around for a couple of years growing crops and hunting animals and writing her boring introspective soul-searching diary.
I only stuck with it to the end to see the aliens, but they never showed up and the film ended with her still trapped in there, so we never did find out who plonked the wall down. or why nobody rescued her! It was a German-made German-language film and judging by this effort the krauts have got a long way to go yet before they rival hollywood!
0 Replies