The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

glitterbag

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 07:32 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I think Billy Bob can play anything. The guy is brilliant. Have you seen Billy Bob and Martin Freeman in the television series Fargo?

I thought for sure they couldn't pull it off, but we became addicted. Billy Bob was incredibly menacing. I loved Fargo the movie, and the Coen brothers were involved in some fashion. I think I'm going to have to re watch the episodes just to make sure I didn't miss anything.
Lash

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 05:49 pm
@panzade,
Thanks, panz. I think we're going to watch it tonight. The reviews are so odd! I'm really curious.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 06:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
I watched this last night....I liked the concept and some parts really were cool. I have to say it was original. I also watched "Her". That I liked even better. The concept was really interesting dealing with a cyber-human romance.
panzade

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 07:38 pm
@Germlat,
I like Her but I don't think J Phoenix is a good enough actor to carry a film for 2 hours by himself. Not yet anyways.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 08:58 pm
This doesn't count as a movie, but early this summer Robin Thicke had a big hit with a song called 'Blurred lines'. Weird Al Yankovich recently released a parody called "word crimes". You can find the video on Youtube, just enter in the key words. I thought this was one of Al's best. Maybe not as good as "eat it", but good. And if you didn't see Al's version of Michael Jackson's 'Just Beat It', check that one out as well.
Germlat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 06:20 am
@panzade,
I think he's a rather odd character don't you? Someone about his grooming seems off. As far as his acting...he's alright.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 06:20 am
@glitterbag,
I'll definitely have to see that. Going to do it now.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 06:36 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

I like Her but I don't think J Phoenix is a good enough actor to carry a film for 2 hours by himself. Not yet anyways.

I thought he did a splendid job.

Quote:
good enough actor to carry a film for 2 hours by himself.

You should take a gander at Tom Hardy in Locke (2013). He literally is the only character on the screen for over 98% of the movie. Talk about Oscar worthy performance! He's one hell of a powerful actor.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2692904/combined
Lash

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 08:02 am
Yikes. I've enjoyed some Lynch and Bergman, and some other weird meta- stuff.

Maybe I should give these types of movies a full watch in case something begins to click later, but I have to say - some of this genre (including this one, unfortunately) just make me feel like an idiot for imagining I'm sitting through some self-indulgent director's cinematic fantasy. I'm a pawn!!! haha

Anyway, didna like it. But, still very appreciative of the heads up. I like to try off-the-beaten-path films.
panzade

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 09:00 am
@Lash,
Quote:
didna like it
Clever lass Very Happy
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 09:17 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
You should take a gander at Tom Hardy in Locke (2013).

I will.
I'm currently going through a list called The 50 Best Movies You've Never Seen and last night's film was Moon(2009) with Sam Rockwell as a lonely astronaut mining helium-3 on the far side of the moon.
Rockwell does a pretty good job of carrying the movie by himself.
Germlat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 12:47 pm
@panzade,
Love science-fi .. Please indulge me. I want you to tell me what you hear ? from sci-fi knowers ,
panzade

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 01:25 pm
@Germlat,
I'm afraid I'm the last guy to ask. I know it when I see it but that's about it.
Perhaps tsar knows more.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 01:55 pm
'The Woman in Black' was on TV the other night, a 2012 ghost film starring Daniel Radcliffe but it was nothing to write home about, it was full of all the usual horror film cliches that we've seen a zillion times before.
The real "stars" were the set, (a spooky cobwebby old house straight out of Harry Potter), and the camera/lighting team who made it ooze atmosphere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Woman_in_Black_(2012_film)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 02:08 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

Love science-fi .. Please indulge me. I want you to tell me what you hear ? from sci-fi knowers ,

Take a gander at these lesser known gems:
Another Earth (2011): loosely defined as science fiction
A Scanner Darkly (2006)
The Fountain (2006)
Never Let Me Go (2010)
Paprika (2006)
Robot & Frank (2012)
Safety Not Guaranteed (2012)
Source Code (2011)
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 02:25 pm
Speaking of sci-fi, there are always plenty of films and TV episodes floating around on youtube like this 28-minute-long Twilight Zone episode called
The Once and Future King.
A guy accidentally gets thrown back in time to 1950's America and hitches a ride with a young unknown truck driver called Elvis Presley-

Germlat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 03:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'll check those out... Thanks.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 03:28 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Sounds a little like an American country song I know about Hank Williams...will check it out..
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 09:50 pm
THE MEDUSA TOUCH is a scifi/horror film starring Richard Burton as a malcontent whose hatred for people and the world seems to trigger disasters.
In this still he consults a psychic for a reading, and the psychic almost freaks out at the terrible bad vibes he's getting from Burton-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/medusa_touch_zps9b6f7c13.jpg~original

FULL FILM
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 11:37 pm
Birth of a Nation, keep your eye on Lillian Gish, that gals got promise.
0 Replies