The endless list of faults of the Bible

aperson

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 10:42 pm
The never-ending list of contridictions, mis-translations, and bits that don't make sense in the Bible.

ALSO possible explanations for these faults.

Come on people. Put in anything. Throw some ideas around.

I'll start you off.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,114 • Replies: 34
No top replies

aperson

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 10:50 pm
Women coming from Man

The translators of the Bible were sexist (of course) and so purposely translated the Bible. What it original said was that there was a mud/earth/dirt creature. God then SPLIT it. He did not take woman from man, they were one and he SPLIT them.

Another "explanation" is that the Hebrews had no word for "willy". They observed that since humans did not have a bone in there, and most other primates did, God must have taken it out. This also explains the "scar" down the underside, where God opened it up and closed it again. To be simple, woman was made from man's willy bone.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 10:54 pm
Camel passing through eye of needle

The translators most likely miss translated "gamta" meaning "sturdy rope" with "gamla" meaning "camel". This makes a lot more sense, don't you think?
real life

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 10:06 am
Oh sorry, I thought from the title that this was a serious attempt at discussing the subject.

*exits after reading the second post*
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 01:05 pm
It is serious! There's no joke.
0 Replies

Grandmaster

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 05:47 am
I think I can shed some light on this topic.........

1. The Bible has been changed, revisioned, edited, distorted at least 20 times since 1538. Even today, it has numerous versions. Now, God's word can not be edited or changed. If it happens, the texts would obviously lose its divinity.

2. The Old Testament has been produced during 600 years. From 9th century B.C. to 3rd century B.C. Most of the stories of the Old Testament were produced orally by people and thus, they became legends and folktales and clearly lacks historical foundations.

3. The four main gospels (Matthew, John, Mark and Luke) not only contradict themselves but.... None of those apostles have met Jesus. Therefore, those four main gospels were written years after Jesus's departure.

and the list goes on........... The recent discovery of the authentic Gospel of Judas clearly puts a big question mark on Christian theology.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 01:20 pm
Grandmaster wrote:
I think I can shed some light on this topic.........

1. The Bible has been changed, revisioned, edited, distorted at least 20 times since 1538. Even today, it has numerous versions. Now, God's word can not be edited or changed. If it happens, the texts would obviously lose its divinity.

2. The Old Testament has been produced during 600 years. From 9th century B.C. to 3rd century B.C. Most of the stories of the Old Testament were produced orally by people and thus, they became legends and folktales and clearly lacks historical foundations.

3. The four main gospels (Matthew, John, Mark and Luke) not only contradict themselves but.... None of those apostles have met Jesus. Therefore, those four main gospels were written years after Jesus's departure.

and the list goes on........... The recent discovery of the authentic Gospel of Judas clearly puts a big question mark on Christian theology.

All more or less true. However, that doesn't mean the Bible is worthless. Reading the Bible, one must be careful to separate what Jesus actually said from what was said about him, or how his words were interpreted. I think that most people sense a spiritual power to Jesus's words. Take what is uplifting and useful and ignore the rest. Look at what other spiritual texts have to say. Realize that spiritual truth is not about trying to figure it all out intellectually. It is not ultimately an intellectual process like philosophy. You must open yourself to spiritual practice and realize the truth for yourself. The thinking mind recedes and in that stillness that the truth of the scriptures becomes self-evident.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 06:30 pm
Grandmaster wrote:

Evidence?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 06:34 pm
I'm glad you feel free,
I do agree that Jesus was a very wise person, even if he was not divine. My guess is that he was a highly intelligent person who had many ideas and was trying to make the world a better place, by building of Judaism.

However, we don't no what is true, what has been morphed, what has been mistranslated, so I steer clear of the Bible. We do not know what is glass and what is diamond; we do not know if there even is any diamond.

Welcome to A2K both of you.
Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 06:39 pm
Being pawned off as a non-fiction book.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 06:41 pm
Exactly.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 08:17 pm
Sorry but I find fundamentalist theism and atheism equally boring.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 08:27 pm
An excellent contribution to the discussion.

JL,
Not all theists believe that all of the Bible is God's word. Not all atheists think that all the Bible is a load of cow dung.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 11:04 pm
I find them equally boring, not equally wrong.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 11:20 pm
aperson wrote:
Camel passing through eye of needle

The translators most likely miss translated "gamta" meaning "sturdy rope" with "gamla" meaning "camel". This makes a lot more sense, don't you think?

Where in the Bible did anyone seriously contend that a camel had passed through the eye of a needle? All I remember is a metaphor about it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 11:29 pm
Brandon, that's just about all I recall of the Bible--a bunch of metaphorical events that the fundamentalists--who probably do not know what a "metaphor" is--take literally.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 11:32 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Brandon, that's just about all I recall of the Bible--a bunch of metaphorical events that the fundamentalists--who probably do not know what a "metaphor" is--take literally.

Not even a fundamentalist would take this particular quotation to be a claim that some camel was passing through the eye of some needle.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 01:20 am
It is a metaphor. I'm just turning it into a metaphor that makes sense.
Grandmaster

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:12 am
Basically those four main gospels were written not before 170 A.D.

They were spred by Word of mouth..... Eventually lost their authenticity.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:21 am
Grandmaster wrote:
Basically those four main gospels were written not before 170 A.D.

They were spred by Word of mouth..... Eventually lost their authenticity.

A common misconception.
0 Replies