1
   

Cleft Chin - Paternity

 
 
lily03
 
  1  
Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 08:23 pm
Cleft Chin
Pearlladie,

Sometimes people have the cleft under their chins, which can be checked by passing your finger under it and feeling the cleft - it doesn't feel straight.
0 Replies
 
swimgirl20
 
  2  
Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 01:21 pm
Quote:
I've heard that if one parent has a cleft chin there is a 50% chance any of his/her children will have a cleft chin. But I've also heard that if neither parent has a cleft chin then there is no possibility of the child belonging to those parents. In my case, I have 3 sons and only 1 has a cleft chin and dimples. My dad had a cleft chin and out of 6 of his children my brother and I are the only ones to have cleft chins. I would like to know If both parents have a cleft chin does that mean that all their children must have a cleft chin?


Neither of my parents have clefts but I do have one. And if both parents have a cleft, it is possible for them to have children without a cleft chin. The cleft chin trait is dominant, so if both parents were heterozygous with a cleft chin and both passed down the reccessive, or "little letter", then their children would not have a cleft.
0 Replies
 
Noddy24
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 02:43 pm
Swimgirl--

Welcome to A2K. Thanks for an interesting post.
0 Replies
 
aclai85
 
  1  
Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 07:43 pm
How do people not know this? I learned about genetics in 7th grade. If you have a dominant trait (such as brown eyes) you may carry only the dominant trait (BB) or you may carry the dominant and recessive trait (Bb). The only way to know if your BB or Bb is a genetic test. Most people who display a recessive trait only carry recessive traits (bb), but it is possible for them to carry the dominant trait (Bb). Each parent contributes one of traits they carry (it might not be the same one you display). Two parents who are BB dominant can only produce BB dominant children. But two parents who are Bb dominant have a 25% chance of producing a BB baby, 25% chance of a bb baby, and 50% chance of a Bb baby (the odds are the same if one or both of the parents are Bb but display the recessive trait). If one parents is Bb and another bb there is a 50% chance of a Bb child and a 50% chance of a bb child. There are more possible combinations but hopefully you get the point.
Sglass
 
  1  
Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 12:49 am
@aclai85,
is a cleft chin a deformity
0 Replies
 
MR PDA
 
  1  
Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 03:43 pm
Genetics is far more complicated than your science teachers and CSI make it out to be. Cleft chins are caused by the lower jaw not fusing properly and it may not be just because of a single gene for why this happens, environmental factors during the development of the fetous can lead to the same feature. Also genes can change its called mutation its how evolution happens and if a change were to happen to the gene that causes a cleft chin then it could fix it so it produces a chin without a cleft. Please don;t blame your science teachers they have to teach the simple stuff so that everyone can grasp the science. What gets me is why these misconceptions are allowed to carry on by the likes of the media. by a science teacher
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Evolution 101 - Discussion by gungasnake
Typing Equations on a PC - Discussion by Brandon9000
The Future of Artificial Intelligence - Discussion by Brandon9000
Scientists Offer Proof of 'Dark Matter' - Discussion by oralloy
Blue Saturn - Discussion by oralloy
Bald Eagle-DDT Myth Still Flying High - Discussion by gungasnake
DDT: A Weapon of Mass Survival - Discussion by gungasnake
 
Copyright © 2014 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 09/30/2014 at 05:55:56