MARK McGWIRE: In or Out?

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 01:15 pm
Quote:
NEW YORK -- Steroid-tainted stars Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Sammy Sosa have been denied entry to
baseball's Hall of Fame with voters failing to elect any candidates for only the second time in four decades.

Bonds received just 36.2 percent of the vote, Clemens 37.6 and Sosa 12.5 in totals announced Wednesday
by the Hall and the Baseball Writers' Association of America. They were appearing on the ballot for the first
time and have up to 14 more years to make it to Cooperstown.

Craig Biggio, 20th on the career list with 3,060 hits, topped the 37 candidates with 68.2 percent of the 569
ballots, 39 shy of the 75 percent needed. Among other first-year eligibles, Mike Piazza received 57.8 percent
and Curt Schilling 38.8

Jack Morris led holdovers with 67.7 percent. He will make his final ballot appearance next year, when Greg
Maddux and Tom Glavine are eligible for the first time.
(espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 03:02 pm

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/2013HoFresults_zpsb3f81284.jpg
2PacksAday

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 08:10 pm
@Region Philbis,
Wow!
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 01:07 pm
Quote:
Hall of Famers applaud shutout

NEW YORK -- Nobody was happier about the Hall of Fame shutout than the Hall of Famers themselves.

Goose Gossage, Al Kaline, Dennis Eckersley and others are in no rush to open the door to Cooperstown
for anyone linked to steroids.

Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa: Keep 'em all out of our club.

"If they let these guys in ever -- at any point -- it's a big black eye for the Hall and for baseball," Gossage
said in a phone interview with The Associated Press. "It's like telling our kids you can cheat, you can do
whatever you want, and it's not going to matter."

For only the second time in 42 years, baseball writers failed to elect anyone to the Hall of Fame on
Wednesday, sending a firm signal that stars of the steroids era will be held to a different standard.

All the awards and accomplishments collected over storied careers by Bonds, Clemens and Sosa -- all
eligible for the first time -- could not offset suspicions those exploits were artificially boosted by
performance-enhancing drugs.

"I'm kind of glad that nobody got in this year," Kaline said. "I feel honored to be in the Hall of Fame.
And I would've felt a little uneasy sitting up there on the stage, listening to some of these new guys
talk about how great they were."

Gossage went even further.

"I think the steroids guys that are under suspicion got too many votes," he said. "I don't know why they're
making this such a question and why there's so much debate. To me, they cheated. Are we going to reward
these guys?"
(espn)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 05:26 pm
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:

Wow!

I too was surprised that people are still voting for Dale Murphy.
2PacksAday

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 08:57 pm
@joefromchicago,
Hmmm, are there any Latter-Day-Saints in the HoF.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 09:35 pm
Cheer up, everybody, it's not a total loss. After all, barehanded catcher/third baseman Deacon White got elected to the Hall of Fame, along with Yankees' owner Jacob Ruppert and umpire Hank O'Day. And nobody ever accused any of them of taking performance-enhancing drugs!

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/pnp/bbc/0000/0020/0020fv.jpg
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 10:02 pm
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:

Hmmm, are there any Latter-Day-Saints in the HoF.

Harmon Killebrew and Dennis Eckersley, apparently, were Mormons at some point in their lives. Eckersley says he's not a Mormon any more, but then he also said he wasn't a drunk when he was acquired by the Cubs, so you can take what he says with a grain of salt.
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 10:29 pm
@joefromchicago,
When you stop and consider that the first person (Ty Cobb) who made it into HOF and his horrid personality flaws (racist of the worst and most vocal kind), the fact that he cleated runners, disabling 12 players in one year, and his deplorable public record (public drunk, wife-beater, etc.) ... all bets are off as far as character and criminality are concerned. Oh yes, he pistol-whipped a man (Cobb was found guilty of battery but the sentence was suspended).

This is the very first person in the HOF. What a way to start a HOF... as regards character and criminal behavior issues. BUT...was he one of ..if not THE ... greateast hitter of his day. Absolutely! Not to mention being a manager for almost 900 games (~ .500 record).
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 05:14 am
@Ragman,

i don't think they had a 'character clause' back then (1936)...
Ragman

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 08:45 pm
@Region Philbis,
Can you imagine if they had back then?! There might be about 5 people in the HOF.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 08:14 pm

so what about Andy Pettitte?

he recently chalked up win #250, and has a career 3.85 ERA

in 2007 he admitted to using human growth hormone to help recover from an elbow injury he suffered in 2002...

is he HOF-worthy?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 08:52 pm
@Region Philbis,
no.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 09:14 pm
@Region Philbis,
Pettitte is one of the hardest calls for me. I did not like him at the start, he just pissed me off again and again by being a nickel and dimer sort of pitcher. Sure he didn't give up homers too often; but, he would get the bases loaded and everybody had to bail him out. I despised him.

Then there was the day that a ball was hit and instead of catching the damned thing as it sailed towards him, he fell to his knees. As the ball zipped by a run was scored. I think the Yankees lost that day.

Over time he got better. He learned how to catch a ball as it got hit and came in his direction. He even learned to step off the mound a few feet to get the ball if it were a few feet to his left or right. Houston had done wonders for him.

So on to the big issue of his using. Well, unlike clowns like Clemens and Rodriguez (and others), he came clean about it fairly fast. So, while not thrilled by his having gone that way, I give him credit for his honesty; which, to me at least is part of what a Hall of Fame induction should include. A level of integrity. Even a minor level.

In the end, I don't really care whether he makes it in or not. He's not high on my list of Yankees I have particularly cared about. (although I have felt bad for each of his injuries). If I stop and think about him, I see pros and cons for his being brought in. Too hard a call for me.

More on Pettitte from the NYTimes:

KEEPING SCORE
Pettitte’s Uncertain Case for the Hall
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/sports/baseball/debating-andy-pettittes-hall-of-fame-candidacy-after-win-no-250.html
0 Replies