... So help me, Allah.

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 01:54 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
no gov't involvement whatsoever, then how it it that the secularists can successfully get rid of anything Christian in the public square yet allow the religious symbols of other religions? Is the no involvement whatsoever?

they were never supposed to be there in the first place. none of them were supposed to be.

note that you said;
Quote:
the secularists can successfully get rid of anything Christian in the public square.
that's the people doing a thing. not the government.

i don't really mind christmas trees, menorahs and such appearing at the appropriate holidays. but, as for the insertion of any religion into the daily business of government, i'm not for it.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 01:56 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
Quote:
G.W.Bush - "I don't think nation-building missions are worthwhile."
Source: Presidential Debate at Wake Forest University Oct 11, 2000

I do believe that he meant this. Once he came into office, however, his handlers had other ideas for him to pursue.

maybe... but ya know, as i looked through the 2000 debate with gore, it's very apparent that iraq was looming large in his vision.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 02:21 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
no gov't involvement whatsoever, then how it it that the secularists can successfully get rid of anything Christian in the public square yet allow the religious symbols of other religions? Is the no involvement whatsoever?

they were never supposed to be there in the first place. none of them were supposed to be.

note that you said;
Quote:
the secularists can successfully get rid of anything Christian in the public square.

i don't really mind christmas trees, menorahs and such appearing at the appropriate holidays. but, as for the insertion of any religion into the daily business of government, i'm not for it.

DTOM, I agree with you, but Christmas trees are not religious symbols. I too find it ironic that menorahs are displayed and nativity scenes are prohibited in many public squares. I don't mind them either (any of them) but insisting, as some communities do, that wrapped presents, decorated trees, and large nutcrackers represent a religious adornment equivalent to a menorah bothers me as well.

Back to the topic of the article. The author is expressing his opinion. He's entitled to it. I'm equally entitled to think he's full of beans.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 03:05 pm
JPB wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
.....i don't really mind christmas trees, menorahs and such appearing at the appropriate holidays. but, as for the insertion of any religion into the daily business of government, i'm not for it.

DTOM, I agree with you, but Christmas trees are not religious symbols.

you're right, they aren't. spiritual (in a pre-christian way) perhaps, but not part of christian doctorine.

maybe that's why they don't bother me. hehe..

JPB wrote:
I too find it ironic that menorahs are displayed and nativity scenes are prohibited in many public squares. I don't mind them either (any of them) but insisting, as some communities do, that wrapped presents, decorated trees, and large nutcrackers represent a religious adornment equivalent to a menorah bothers me as well.

i agree. for that couple of weeks a year, i'm cool with it. creche away.

do you agree that's different than the "one nation, UNDER GOD" deal and all of the surrounding issues ?

JPB wrote:
Back to the topic of the article. The author is expressing his opinion. He's entitled to it. I'm equally entitled to think he's full of beans.

Laughing yup.. to the brim.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 03:18 pm
Quote:
If Keith Ellison is allowed to change that, he will be doing more damage to the unity of America and to the value system that has formed this country than the terrorists of 9-11.

This seems counter-intuitive. But not so fast.

What if the social conservatives like Prager have been right all along, that chlorination of the water and the New Math actually were commie plots designed to make social conservatives really stupid?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 03:20 pm
That's a false proposition on the face of it--social conservatives need no artificial aids to stupidity.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 03:29 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
do you agree that's different than the "one nation, UNDER GOD" deal and all of the surrounding issues ?

Yes, I do. I do not think we are a Christian nation, or evan an Abrahamic one. Swearing an oath to the god of Abraham has no place in secular activities.

prager wrote:
Forgive me, but America should not give a hoot what Keith Ellison's favorite book is. Insofar as a member of Congress taking an oath to serve America and uphold its values is concerned, America is interested in only one book, the Bible. If you are incapable of taking an oath on that book, don't serve in Congress.

This is total crap.

I've asked this before, but I don't think I've seen an answer -- do witnesses still swear to tell the truth ... , "so help me God" before they take the stand in court?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 03:41 pm
candidone1 wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:

At least concede that you's been got.

I'll take a bet on that not happening.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 03:50 pm
ehBeth wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:

At least concede that you's been got.

I'll take a bet on that not happening.

Odds are certainly on your side.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:06 pm
Would that be the Devil's spawn Saint James Bible used by those dirty, evil, hell-bound Protestants or the real Bible of the Roman Catholic Church?

Amen, as in a-MEN.

btw: Setanta, shame on you for picking fights with retards.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:13 pm
No shame should be felt on his end....the retards actually think it's a fair fight, so swing away Set, swing away.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:14 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
JPB wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
.....i don't really mind christmas trees, menorahs and such appearing at the appropriate holidays. but, as for the insertion of any religion into the daily business of government, i'm not for it.

DTOM, I agree with you, but Christmas trees are not religious symbols.

you're right, they aren't. spiritual (in a pre-christian way) perhaps, but not part of christian doctorine.

maybe that's why they don't bother me. hehe..

JPB wrote:
I too find it ironic that menorahs are displayed and nativity scenes are prohibited in many public squares. I don't mind them either (any of them) but insisting, as some communities do, that wrapped presents, decorated trees, and large nutcrackers represent a religious adornment equivalent to a menorah bothers me as well.

i agree. for that couple of weeks a year, i'm cool with it. creche away.

JPB wrote:

Laughing yup.. to the brim.

My, how very UNdemocratic of you.
You find Christians unsavory? The difference in you & a Christian is, a Christian will pray for you, while you would deny them that right to pray.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:16 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

note that you said;
Quote:

The mayor of NYC is part of the gov't. Or maybe you didn't know that. You really should at least attempt to understand what's being discussed, that way you wouldn't embarrass yourself....not as much at least.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:22 pm
I think LSM misapprehends JPB.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:23 pm
So, LSM, you are saying that a Christian will pray for someone?
Why is that held as a virtue?
My grandma talked to her plants. It's the same thing.
Both will yield zero results.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:28 pm
candidone1 wrote:
So, LSM, you are saying that a Christian will pray for someone?
Why is that held as a virtue?
My grandma talked to her plants. It's the same thing.
Both will yield zero results.

Yes, a Christian will & does pray for you, for everyone. It's held as a virtue because it's an unselfish & caring act.
I'm not saying that your granma shouldn't talk to her plants, that's fine, however, maybe had she had people (maybe even you to talk to she wouldn't have felt the need to talk to her plants.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:28 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
You find Christians unsavory? The difference in you & a Christian is, a Christian will pray for you, while you would deny them that right to pray.

where did i say either one of those things ?

and, i'm sorry... i was unaware that only christians prayed.

LoneStarMadam wrote:

The mayor of NYC is part of the gov't. Or maybe you didn't know that. You really should at least attempt to understand what's being discussed, that way you wouldn't embarrass yourself....not as much at least.

what the hell are you talking about ???

fyi. i have a lot of friends that are good christians. and they behave absolutely nothing like you.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:34 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

where did i say either one of those things ?

and, i'm sorry... i was unaware that only christians prayed.

LoneStarMadam wrote:

what the hell are you talking about ???

fyi. i have a lot of friends that are good christians. and they behave absolutely nothing like you.

Why do you assume that I am a Christian?
Still not paying attention
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:36 pm
DTOM, "They aren't part of the christian doctrine, maybe that's why they don't bother me. hehe"
That ring any bells? Unless someone fits your view of what a Christian should be, they they aren't, that's what you're saying & that's why I said how UNdemocratic of you
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:41 pm
Oh, & the other thing you brought up, "What the hella re you talking about"
That was in reference to your gov't doesn't interfere in religious symbols in the public square, or words to that effect. My reference to the mayor of NYC is that it was mayor Bloomberg that alloewed a menorrah & the muslim religious in the public square but would not allow a Nativity.
You really must pay closer attention, so far you're batting O
0 Replies