Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:30 am
ONE OF THE STORIES OF 911

A man from Norfolk, VA called a local radio station to share this on Sept 11th, 2003. His Name was Robert Matthews. These are his words:

"A few weeks before Sept. 11th, my wife and I found out we were going to have our first child. She planned a trip out to California to visit her sister. On our way to the airport, we prayed that God would grant my wife a safe trip and be with her.

Shortly after I said 'amen,' we both heard a loud pop and the car shook violently. We had blown out a tire. I replaced the tire as quickly as I could, but we still missed her flight. Both very upset, we drove home.

I received a call from my father who was retired NYFD. He asked what my wife's flight number was, but I explained that we missed the flight. My father informed me that her flight was the one that crashed into the southern tower. I was too shocked to speak. My father also had more news for me; he was going to help. 'This is not something I can just sit by or; I have to do something.'

I was concerned for his safety, of course, but more because he had never given his life to Christ. After a brief debate, I knew his mind was made up. Before he got off of the phone, he said, 'take good care of my grandchild.' Those were the last words I ever heard my father say; he died while helping in the rescue effort.

My joy that my prayer of safety for my wife had been answered quickly became anger. I was angry at God, at my father, and at myself. I had gone for nearly two years blaming God for taking my father away. My son would never know his grandfather, my father had never accepted Christ, and I never got to say goodbye.

Then something happened. About two months ago, I was sitting at home the door. I looked at my wife, but I could tell she wasn't expecting anyone. I opened the door to a couple with a small child. The man looked at me and asked if my father's name was Jake Matthews. I told him it was. He quickly grabbed my hand and said, 'I never got the chance to meet your father, but it is an honor to meet his son.'

He explained to me that his wife had worked in the World Trade Center and had been caught inside after the attack. She was pregnant and had been caught under debris. He then explained that my father had been the one to find his wife and free her.

My eyes welled up with tears as I thought of my father giving his life for people like this. He then said, 'there is something else you need to know.'

His wife then told me that as my father worked to free her, she talked to him and lead him to Christ.

I began sobbing at the news. Now I know that when I get to heaven, my father will be standing beside Jesus to welcome me, and that this family would be able to thank him themselves.
When their baby boy was born, they named him Jacob Matthew in honor of the man who gave his life so that mother and baby could live."

This story should help us to realize two things: First - that though it has been several years since the attacks, we should never let it become a mere tragic memory. And second - but most important - God is always in control.

We may not see the reason behind things, and we may never know this side of heaven, but God is ALWAYS in control.

Please take time to share this amazing story with those you love and care for.

You may never know the impact it may have on someone ...... God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good. His love endures forever.

Psalm 136:1
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,965 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:14 am
http://www.snopes.com/rumors/matthews.asp

Quote:
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 09:32 am

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/968235/posts
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 09:38 am
It is more than a little hilarious to see Freepers describe anyone else's website as biased.

Thanks for the free entertainment.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 09:42 am
Baddog, what does your link have to do with the fact that the name of the father/fire fighter mentioned in the story you posted can not be found among any of the lists of casualties of the 9/11 event?

Your link is about a completely different claim.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:01 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Baddog, what does your link have to do with the fact that the name of the father/fire fighter mentioned in the story you posted can not be found among any of the lists of casualties of the 9/11 event?

The purpose of my posting an alternative link to Snopes is only to show that no website can be totally relied upon for 100% factual information. ie: You posted "Snopes" in order to show that there is/could be a dispute in the story mentioned. I posted a site that disputes some of Snope's claims. In this regard - our purposes are the same.

As to the the tragic casualty list of 9/11 - the last I heard, there are still families claiming they lost relatives in the attacks - yet because no physical evidence has been retrieved to affirm this - various life insurance companies are refusing payment. As there are certainly people who would fabricate claims of lost relatives for financial gain - I can understand both sides.

As to the original story on this thread - I have no idea if it's true or not. It is certainly believable; which of course proves nothing as to it's validity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:11 am
Butrflynet wrote:

The link Baddog provided is also to the most notoriously rightwing site on the web in the United States. Snopes has carefully worked to establish a reputation of fairness and careful research, and each Snopes page lists the principle author and sources for their claims.

"Free Republic" is a rant site for rightwingnuts, most of them not just conservative, but outright reactionaries. They commonly attack Snopes and FactCheck-dot-com, sites which blow holes in the political fairy tales which they are fond of peddling.

I used to go to see the Freepers just for the entertainment value--but the exercise palls on one, and soon becomes tedious. I can think of few sites with less credibility than "Free Republic."
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:39 am
Setanta wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:

The link Baddog provided is also to the most notoriously rightwing site on the web in the United States. Snopes has carefully worked to establish a reputation of fairness and careful research, and each Snopes page lists the principle author and sources for their claims.

"Free Republic" is a rant site for rightwingnuts, most of them not just conservative, but outright reactionaries. They commonly attack Snopes and FactCheck-dot-com, sites which blow holes in the political fairy tales which they are fond of peddling.

I used to go to see the Freepers just for the entertainment value--but the exercise palls on one, and soon becomes tedious. I can think of few sites with less credibility than "Free Republic."

There are those who consider Snopes to be "extremely liberal" the same way you consider "Free Republic" to be rightwingish - however that is not the point here. (I happen to agree w/you BTW about FR!)

The point is that snopes, freepers (and all other sites that recall and interpret historical events) will not be 100% correct; therefore will always stand the chance of being wrong. If the point to butrflynet's posting of snopes.com was to prove the original post as incorrect and/or false - I cannot agree to agree. Just as I am unsure that the original post is/was a factual event. (Nor can anyone else prove one way or the other.) Chances are, the original post on this thread is false - however you have to admit that it may also be true; given all the circumstances surrounding 9/11.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:32 pm
My intent was to confirm for myself that my assumption that "please send this to all your friends" means this is yet another piece of worthless fiction that has been floating around the internet for years, only to be revived when somebody new discovers it for the first time and floods the in boxes all over again.

It was an obvious piece of fiction to anyone reading carefully. I'm more ashamed of the unabashed exploitation of the 9/11 events then of the use of that evil conspiracy-ridden Snopes as a reference point for filtering the trash in my in box.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:23 pm
Butrflynet wrote:

The post simply says that the father died while working the rescue effort.

It doesn't say he was a casualty of the event.

He could have died of a heart attack, or of any number of things. It doesn't say what the cause of death was.

Perhaps you should read it again.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:58 pm
Thanks, I'll add that to the long list of obvious points in the letter that shout "fake!"
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:17 am
In regards to bias. Who is biased? Who is not?

God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good. His love endures forever.

Psalm 136:1
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 05:35 am
I think the fact that the "story" is so incredibly shmaltzy is the first red flag anyone should see. Inspiration junk like that has been around the 'net for years -- long before 9/11.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 09:51 am
jespah wrote:
I think the fact that the "story" is so incredibly shmaltzy is the first red flag anyone should see. Inspiration junk like that has been around the 'net for years -- long before 9/11.

Is there a purpose to this post? Confused

The fact that junk has been rampant on the net is true. Does that mean that all "inspirational" stories are "junk"? Untrue? Impossible? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 05:03 am
baddog1 wrote:
jespah wrote:

The fact that junk has been rampant on the net is true. Does that mean that all "inspirational" stories are "junk"? Untrue? Impossible? Rolling Eyes

Here is the purpose, since you asked. It is to suggest that you -- and everyone else -- engage in critical thinking. Forget snopes. Just consider the post, which I have repeated here:

Quote:

A man from Norfolk, VA called a local radio station to share this on Sept 11th, 2003. His Name was Robert Matthews. These are his words:

"A few weeks before Sept. 11th, my wife and I found out we were going to have our first child. She planned a trip out to California to visit her sister. On our way to the airport, we prayed that God would grant my wife a safe trip and be with her.

Shortly after I said 'amen,' we both heard a loud pop and the car shook violently. We had blown out a tire. I replaced the tire as quickly as I could, but we still missed her flight. Both very upset, we drove home.

I received a call from my father who was retired NYFD. He asked what my wife's flight number was, but I explained that we missed the flight. My father informed me that her flight was the one that crashed into the southern tower. I was too shocked to speak. My father also had more news for me; he was going to help. 'This is not something I can just sit by or; I have to do something.'

I was concerned for his safety, of course, but more because he had never given his life to Christ. After a brief debate, I knew his mind was made up. Before he got off of the phone, he said, 'take good care of my grandchild.' Those were the last words I ever heard my father say; he died while helping in the rescue effort.

My joy that my prayer of safety for my wife had been answered quickly became anger. I was angry at God, at my father, and at myself. I had gone for nearly two years blaming God for taking my father away. My son would never know his grandfather, my father had never accepted Christ, and I never got to say goodbye.

Then something happened. About two months ago, I was sitting at home the door. I looked at my wife, but I could tell she wasn't expecting anyone. I opened the door to a couple with a small child. The man looked at me and asked if my father's name was Jake Matthews. I told him it was. He quickly grabbed my hand and said, 'I never got the chance to meet your father, but it is an honor to meet his son.'

He explained to me that his wife had worked in the World Trade Center and had been caught inside after the attack. She was pregnant and had been caught under debris. He then explained that my father had been the one to find his wife and free her.

My eyes welled up with tears as I thought of my father giving his life for people like this. He then said, 'there is something else you need to know.'

His wife then told me that as my father worked to free her, she talked to him and lead him to Christ.

I began sobbing at the news. Now I know that when I get to heaven, my father will be standing beside Jesus to welcome me, and that this family would be able to thank him themselves.
When their baby boy was born, they named him Jacob Matthew in honor of the man who gave his life so that mother and baby could live."

This story should help us to realize two things: First - that though it has been several years since the attacks, we should never let it become a mere tragic memory. And second - but most important - God is always in control.

We may not see the reason behind things, and we may never know this side of heaven, but God is ALWAYS in control.

You may never know the impact it may have on someone ...... God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

1) It's vague. The couple are never identified. The firefighter's death is not detailed. 9/11 is an extremely well-documented event at this point in time. While there may be a few people who died in the towers who are still unknown (undocumented workers or perhaps a person who was in the area -- after all, there was a subway station with shops and the like, plus a restaurant at the top of one of the towers and an observation deck), airlines have very good records of who was supposed to be on which flight, and the NYPD and NYFD have very good records of who was supposed to show up for work on 9/12 and who didn't. The NYFD also has decent information on how its employees died. This story can be checked. Does it stand up to scrutiny?
2) It's loaded with religious stuff and clearly seems to be intended to promote a religious message. I'm not attacking that, don't misunderstand me. I am, though, pointing out that the story is being told because there's an agenda behind it.
3) The whole point of "send this along to everyone you know" and the like is, in many cases, intended to do nothing more than tie up mail systems. If 1 person sends this to 10 people, and they send it to 10 more, etc., it hits 1 million emails in 6 iterations (10 to the 6th power). This can easily be done in 1 hour (5 minutes per email, which is more than ample time to crank out an email). That may not be the specific point with this particular item, but it does happen and it causes headaches for system administrators -- and not so nice people try to bring down companies by exploiting such things. Also, these can be used as email harvesters, because someone, inevitably, sends using the To: field and not the BCC: field. This is one of the ways that spam flies around the Internet so quickly and thoroughly.
4) The story is larded with all sorts of sympathetic elements. The wife that narrowly escapes death, the pregnant survivor, the "take care of my grandchild" sentiment, etc. I am not saying that such things do not exist, but the confluence of all of them in the same story, plus the religious elements, again smacks of a particular sympathy-getting agenda. By the way, if you ever want to read a bunch of these types of stories, take a gander at the 10 or so oldest pages of topics in the Human Interest Stories forum on this site.
5) Another one of the hallmarks of these kinds of Internet stories is that they often glom onto well-known events or names in order to lend an air of credibility and/or authority. E. g. the "Robin Williams guide to handling Iraq", etc., that sort of thing. Here, the authority/credibility piece is the alleged connection to 9/11. This is because 9/11 has some natural vagueness attached to it, due to the very nature of the tragedy. Like I said in point #1, there may still be some unknown victims. But the chances of those people being NYFD is miniscule/nonexistent.
6) Finally, if you don't like snopes for debunking, that's fine. Just type this search into Google: robert matthews jake matthews pregnant You come up with over 89,000 hits, many of which turn out to be either religious groups coopting the story or sites (urbanlegends.com, breakthechain.org, truthorfiction.com, etc.) that set about debunking it. This should tell you that (a) it has slid all over the 'net, probably due to the admonition to tell all of your loved ones, and (B) that more than one set of people has looked at it with a critical eye.

If you want to talk about it as inspirational, metaphorical, or perhaps a parable, go ahead. But when you try to speak about it as fact, don't be surprised when people look at it with skepticism and try to figure out whether it's true -- and furthermore, don't be hurt if they disprove it with readily available information, or if they insist that you hold the burden of proving it is real, because you are advocating its alleged veracity. Not everyone shares your world view (not everyone shares mine, for that matter). This is not a bad thing. Smile
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 09:49 am
Quotes From jespah:

Quote:
1) It's vague. The couple are never identified. The firefighter's death is not detailed. 9/11 is an extremely well-documented event at this point in time. While there may be a few people who died in the towers who are still unknown (undocumented workers or perhaps a person who was in the area -- after all, there was a subway station with shops and the like, plus a restaurant at the top of one of the towers and an observation deck), airlines have very good records of who was supposed to be on which flight, and the NYPD and NYFD have very good records of who was supposed to show up for work on 9/12 and who didn't. The NYFD also has decent information on how its employees died. This story can be checked. Does it stand up to scrutiny?

As we both know - vagueness is subjective. In the event that all of the points you mention were accredited and verified; the story would probably be at least twice as long if not more. How many would then pass on reading it? Of course, all of that additional information would need to be verified as well. Before long, it would be a novel (or worse yet - a movie!). Does it stand up to scrutiny? In my estimation - no more or less than most everything else posted on the net.

Quote:
2) It's loaded with religious stuff and clearly seems to be intended to promote a religious message. I'm not attacking that, don't misunderstand me. I am, though, pointing out that the story is being told because there's an agenda behind it.

Well sure there's an agenda behind it! What story in existence does not have an agenda behind it?

Quote:
3) The whole point of "send this along to everyone you know" and the like is, in many cases, intended to do nothing more than tie up mail systems. If 1 person sends this to 10 people, and they send it to 10 more, etc., it hits 1 million emails in 6 iterations (10 to the 6th power). This can easily be done in 1 hour (5 minutes per email, which is more than ample time to crank out an email). That may not be the specific point with this particular item, but it does happen and it causes headaches for system administrators -- and not so nice people try to bring down companies by exploiting such things. Also, these can be used as email harvesters, because someone, inevitably, sends using the To: field and not the BCC: field. This is one of the ways that spam flies around the Internet so quickly and thoroughly.

I agree w/you on the "send-along" theory and normally disregard all that hubbub.

Quote:
4) The story is larded with all sorts of sympathetic elements. The wife that narrowly escapes death, the pregnant survivor, the "take care of my grandchild" sentiment, etc. I am not saying that such things do not exist, but the confluence of all of them in the same story, plus the religious elements, again smacks of a particular sympathy-getting agenda. By the way, if you ever want to read a bunch of these types of stories, take a gander at the 10 or so oldest pages of topics in the Human Interest Stories forum on this site.

jespah - sympathy is one of the more powerful elements that defines 9/11. (Along with of course - anger, despair, confusion, etc.) I do not feel it's unimaginable that a collection of the sentiments described could've actually happened during that time.

Quote:
5) Another one of the hallmarks of these kinds of Internet stories is that they often glom onto well-known events or names in order to lend an air of credibility and/or authority. E. g. the "Robin Williams guide to handling Iraq", etc., that sort of thing. Here, the authority/credibility piece is the alleged connection to 9/11. This is because 9/11 has some natural vagueness attached to it, due to the very nature of the tragedy. Like I said in point #1, there may still be some unknown victims. But the chances of those people being NYFD is miniscule/nonexistent.

You may very well be correct. Or you could be incorrect. Who's to know?

Quote:
6) Finally, if you don't like snopes for debunking, that's fine. Just type this search into Google: robert matthews jake matthews pregnant You come up with over 89,000 hits, many of which turn out to be either religious groups coopting the story or sites (urbanlegends.com, breakthechain.org, truthorfiction.com, etc.) that set about debunking it. This should tell you that (a) it has slid all over the 'net, probably due to the admonition to tell all of your loved ones, and (B) that more than one set of people has looked at it with a critical eye.

Oh wait - I never said or inferred that I don't like snopes. In fact - I reference snoped fairly often. However, that doesn't mean that snopes is always correct! (Remember - like the stories you abhor due to the inability to verify - and the "agendas" - it's the same with snopes.)

Quote:
If you want to talk about it as inspirational, metaphorical, or perhaps a parable, go ahead. But when you try to speak about it as fact, don't be surprised when people look at it with skepticism and try to figure out whether it's true -- and furthermore, don't be hurt if they disprove it with readily available information, or if they insist that you hold the burden of proving it is real, because you are advocating its alleged veracity. Not everyone shares your world view (not everyone shares mine, for that matter). This is not a bad thing. Smile

Agreed! :wink:
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 02:20 pm
All you really need to do is read it out loud to yourself and put yourself in the position of a radio station DJ or talk show host and you'll quickly understand that no radio station or talk show is going to allow one person to drone on and on like that, uninterrupted for that length of time, no matter what the subject. Since the guy doesn't make any kind of point until several paragraphs into it, he would of been cut off long before the end.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 08:19 pm
jespah wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
jespah wrote:

Here is the purpose, since you asked. It is to suggest that you -- and everyone else -- engage in critical thinking. Forget snopes. Just consider the post, which I have repeated here:

Quote:

The story doesn't say the father was NYFD. It says he had retired from NYFD.

As you pointed out, the father's death is not detailed. Where and of what cause(s) he died are not given. It simply gives a general time frame 'during the rescue' . This was a period , not of hours but of days.
0 Replies

RAU

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 08:22 pm
@real life,
Perhaps you should read it again
Here is a sentence taken from the story.
"Those were the last words I ever heard my father say; he died while helping in the rescue effort."

As I read it he was a casualty of the event.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 04:06 pm
The entire US government fable was an incredibly shmaltzy lie.

But it sure fooled a lot of gullible people.
0 Replies