National Mall, Washington DC, design charette for everybody

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 06:28 pm
http://www.nps.gov/nationalmallplan/

There's an aerial shot of the Mall on the link, but I can't seem to transfer it.

from my landscape architecture news online website -

Think of it as a nationwide charrette. The National Parks Service announced yesterday that it has begun a "major planning effort to improve the National Mall experience," and has set up a web site to collect suggestions from the public about what should be done to spruce up the nation's front yard. This will be a long-term process, but the time to get involved is now, so if you have suggestions, start registering them now by clicking here--and be sure to note that you are a landscape architect. (It's a bit confusing--download and read the National Mall Plan Questions document, then click on "Comment on document" in the left-hand navigation.)

Also, if you're in the Washington, DC, area, you can attend the November 15 NPS symposium "Future of the National Mall," which will include experts in the fields of landscape architecture, city planning, turf management, and related industries. The symposium, which is open to the public, will be held at the Naval Heritage Center at the U.S. Navy Memorial, 701 Pennsylvania Avenue, Northwest, Washington, DC. The Dirt is guessing that's when we'll really start to see this thing take shape.

LAND Online will have more on the National Mall planning effort in the November 13 issue.

I'll have to study this... I hate the recent changes near the Capitol building..
I'm not sure what is all so wrong with the Mall as it is.. I need to read up on the matter.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,602 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 06:32 pm
I think anyone can give suggestions, not just professionals in design fields.

We'll see. It can't be worse than the debacle of design at the Twin Towers site.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 04:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Hmm, wonder whatever happened re the national mall design.
0 Replies