How come some days I can, and some days I almost can't?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:44 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Hi, jpb, smiles. I suppose it'll be possible that we disagree at some point. Don't lose sleep.

That sounds odd to me now. I meant it as a comment on how much we do share in experience and opinion.

Bananas (potassium) and water.. Calcium, magnesium..

Shoes matter, though possibly not re cramping. I'm going hunting through the thread re shoes. My answer will be look at Runner's World.com, good site, and Sozobe had another useful site, back on a thread about shoes...
Agree with whoever said orthotics can be a big help.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:51 pm
ossobuco wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
Hi, jpb, smiles. I suppose it'll be possible that we disagree at some point. Don't lose sleep.

That sounds odd to me now. I meant it as a comment on how much we do share in experience and opinion.

Precisely how I read it, osso.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:54 pm
This might be the running shoe thread... the thing is, the charts on that website are useful in general, whether or not you run --

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71971&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=running+shoes&start=0
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:17 pm
Just in case nobody's asked: Have you had a complete medical check up before starting on your exercise regimen? I'm just asking.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:33 pm
It looks like a lot of us have had cramps. My mother complained of them to me, and that was in the late sixties, and what did I know. Some goodly fraction of us posting of them here are older... is that any clue? I don't know.

Personally, I don't drink quite enough water the nights I have too many rum and fruit juices. I eat well, re veggies, but I drink badly since I like to, one, or two, or three, dilute but not nothing.
I think first of water deprivation, myself. And then would look at electrolytes.

My mother was a life long teetotaller, thus the dehydration from alcohol having nothing to do with her particular leg cramps.

Maybe it was just a matter of water, and preferably, water with electrolytes.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:48 pm
Like the tennis players, I've always eaten bananners for cramps. Always thought it was the potassium. Dunno about this calcium and magnesium hoo hah (though doubtless dadpad is on the mark with his tall grass tetany diagnosis; mayhaps the bunny also suffers from white muscle disease and should look to her selenium levels), but nanners always seem to've done the trick.

Hmmm. There were some salt tablets my pa took for backcountry trips when I was a pup (for to prevent the cramping). He never knew any more than that they were salt tablets, so there's no telling what was in 'em. Prolly methamphetamine...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 06:38 am
Oh my, you have all had fun!

And a piffka sighting, even.

I will read up all your sage advice, folks, thankee!
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 06:57 am
roger wrote:
And what, pray tell, is the matter with "Nermal"?

Answer me, George.

Nothing <chortle><snort>Nothing at all.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 10:20 am
Swimpy wrote:
Just in case nobody's asked: Have you had a complete medical check up before starting on your exercise regimen? I'm just asking.

I would want to rule out something like peripheral artery disease. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3020252
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 04:41 am
Have I killed this thread? Sorry.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 03:39 pm
Some days the damp invades my bones.

No one can be expected to demonstrate physical prowess with damp bones.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:19 pm
Stormy weather makes me ache in a shoulder injured when I was 12.

That just doesn't seem right...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:22 pm
Deader 'en ary doornail, Swimp.

I think someone suggested protein before the walk. I would disagree. Fairly low glycemic carbs before, and protein after. If the walk is long enough, a higher glycemic snack somewhere in the middle. If you ever get into hypoglycemia, you'll find out the real meaning of tired and weak.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:35 pm
Went for a bike ride a few weeks ago when I turned out to be at the end of the incubation of some nasty flu-ish bug. Took the usual 90-120 minute ride I'd been doing all summer without much worry, and on a cooler day than usual.

Crapped out something awful in about the last five miles -- got to the point where I was riding a hundred yards, then stopping for five minutes, then riding a hundred more. Have never felt that drained in my life, not even in early-season HS sports practices or that accidental 25-mile backpacking day when the water ran out at about mile 15.

Damn virions took all my sugar away (or something)...

And maybe I'm not invincible any more, though I should have a few years left...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:59 pm
that's what happens when you hit The Wall. I used to do a loop around Tiverton and Sakonnet and Four Corners down in Mass, lovely area. A fifty miler. At least twice I forgot to bring any sustenance except for water which usually ran out around 35th mile or so anyway. The last ten miles were pure hell, because that was also the hilly and windy part. As long as I live I don't want to ever see that road again. Although, since I did that route at least twice a week or so during that one summer, I was in the best shape ever. Oh well... where have all the flowers gone...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 09:43 am
roger wrote:

I think someone suggested protein before the walk. I would disagree. Fairly low glycemic carbs before, and protein after. If the walk is long enough, a higher glycemic snack somewhere in the middle. If you ever get into hypoglycemia, you'll find out the real meaning of tired and weak.

Is the bunny ignoring us?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:06 pm
Swimpy wrote:
roger wrote:

Is the bunny ignoring us?

Nope...but you all seem perfectly happy without my needing to say anything.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:52 pm
Have you seen a doctor? I'm concerned.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 07:01 pm
No, we are not happy, perfectly or otherwise, by being ignored, especially after making up all this swell advice.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 07:41 pm
We need to provoke the bunny to act.
0 Replies