doglover

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 11:04 am
Once in a while I like to eat Creamed Chipped Beef for dinner, especially on the weekend. And sometimes, I like to eat dinner/lunch foods for breakfast. A slice of cold pizza or a sandwich makes a good breakfast once in a while.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Aha! A thread for me.

I like most breakfast food and don't get why people think it should only be eaten for breakfast. Here in Costa Rica they eat gallo pinto for breakfast, which is beans and rice from dinner mixed and refried with culantro and other seasoning.

I order it all the time and people say it's weird. I tell them that I think it's odd to eat beans and rice in the morning but it's even odder to consider the same beans and rice you had for dinner a morning-only meal if it's mixed.

Around the world I've seen odd breakfasts (fish for breakfast in Japan is the least appealing to me, but I don't like fish) and if the food is good it's good anytime. I'm ordering off the breakfast menu whenever I can.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:37 pm
@chun chun,
chun chun (thanks OssoB for bringing this thread back up into the light) - I've recently been making versions of your fear factor for a portable beach breakfast/brunch . English muffins warmed on the George Foreman while maple turkey sausage patties are being grilled - some days I put cherry preserves and old cheddar on the muffin with the patty and heat some more ... other days peanut butter - it is quite satay-y in effect. Yum. I'd been wondering where I got the idea to combine pb and sausage - and here it is.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 09:05 pm
@ehBeth,
And I'm looking back at CJane's savory german pancakes. I think I'll give another try at finding a recipe I can understand.

On beans and rice for breakfast, why not. I've long read it's the perfect food combo, health wise, and besides, it tastes good. Not so different from the burritos I've make up ten at a time and freeze - rice, black beans, beef or pork adobo, some onions, some cheese.. (that's another thread).

I also like tuna sandwiches for breakfast, but never mind.

But waffles... I'll have to wait until I find my waffle iron. I don't think I got rid of it on moving.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:13 pm
@ehBeth,
So I've been googleing around and started to find savory crepe recipes - now that I'm looking under crepes instead of german pancakes (which bring me to german pancakes that are like dutch babies and like bismarcks...) I know I'll find a lot -
but not tonight, yawn.
I'll just put this here as a starter --

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_4_215/ai_n15677795

That describes spinach and mushroom crepes, chicken pesto crepes (well, there you go, lots of different kinds of pesto out there), leek and apple crepes, and smoked salmon crepes.
0 Replies