Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 05:30 pm
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/10/24/PH2006102400254.jpg
source

An article in the Washington Post shows some recipes for foods usually eaten at breakfast time that can also work for evening meals. I'm interested in the curry waffle thing myself.

Here's the link for the whole article

Here's the link for just the recipes

I wish WAPO had a way to put their articles into one page, and wish they didn't double space their recipes (whine).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 5,613 • Replies: 24
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 05:52 pm
a few years back nabisco had a recipe contest featuring shredded wheat

i don't know who won, but i remember thinking, why does it have to breakfast food, it's like little nests of grains, why couldn't you soften up with a little broth, then serve it as a bed for medallions of pork or veal in a brandy raisi sauce, or a curry of some kind
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 06:02 pm
I'll be back to read this when I'm not so full. Can't think about food right now. <burp>
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 12:38 pm
I think I mentioned on another thread that my mother often would make waffles and sausages for Sunday night supper. I love breakfast foods. I rarely have time in the morning to make them, so why not have them for supper?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 12:46 pm
My mother would sometimes fix waffles and syrup for supper when I was a child.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 09:18 am
Pancakes for supper is great!

Also, for my daughter sometimes she will have an egg and cheese sandwich for supper.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 03:33 pm
I happen to be very fond, too fond, of biscuits and gravy... I'd be happy with those for dinner. Not a well-balanced meal, but then one would grow to be well round.
0 Replies

chun chun

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 07:44 pm
Hey, ossobucco, it's good to see that you, ehbeth, Swimpy and littlek are still posting! It's like coming home for the holidays and reconnecting with family and friends!!! I really miss being able to sit and post regularly....there just isn't enough time in the day!!!.....Now, getting on with the comments about breakfast.....I developed a breakfast sandwich in my cafe that we lovingly call "The Fear Factor"! People are afraid to try it at first, but once they face their fear they come back and order it again and again! I butter 2 pieces of cinnamon-maple bread (or English muffins if you prefer) and throw them on the grill (or in a frying pan) until they are a buttery golden brown. While the pieces are happily grilling, I take 2 pieces of pepperjack cheese and put 1 slice on each piece of bread. The cheese begins to slowly melt and just before it does, I spread peanut butter (not too thickly) on each slice. I then take a cooked sausage patty and place it on 1 of the pieces of bread.....on top of that I place a fried egg that has had the yolk broken while being cooked. At this point the sandwich can be put together.....although, I have a customer that insists that it's delicious BUT even better when she also adds a bit of grape jelly!!
It is truly a high protein breakfast!!.....Let me know if any of you dare to try it!
Swimpy

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 07:49 pm
chun chun!!! Oh my god! How the heck are ya?

That sandwich sounds interesting. I like everything in it, just not sure how they would all taste together!

I hope you decide to stick around.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 08:01 pm
Chun Chun!!!!!!!!!

I'll always think of you fondly, remembering the long ago Duck thread...

I'm a picky egg eater - one of the leftover behaviors from childhood - so your brekky sandwich is out for me.

No matter...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 08:05 pm
I too am a picky egg eater.

All the white has to be cooked, but can not be hard.
The yolk can never ever be broken until I do it on my plate, or I will not eat it.

If I am having an egg with pancakes, i willnot eat the yolk no matter what, but my egg white better be perfect.

We do alot of breakfast items for dinner.
It is CHEAP, easy and always a welcomed meal for my 2 kids..
ha
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 08:09 pm
hey there chun chun!

I've still got your website in my favourites, so I pop in once in a while to check on any changes on the posted menu.

peanut butter with sausage ... hmmmmm gonna pork satay-y

I can cope with that.

Not so sure about pb with eggs.

I occasionally have waffles with poached eggs as a comfort meal - and I've survived getting syrup on the eggs ...
0 Replies

chun chun

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 09:45 pm
Oh my goodness....the duck thread......that was soooo much fun! I often wished I had saved that one, but, unfortunately I didn't! I was talking about that a month or so ago.....I was trying so hard to remember the adventures of that duck!!

As far as the egg in the sandwich.....just leave it out! We've tried it with or without egg.....we've used bacon or ham instead of sausage....we've even changed cheeses and breads! It's fun to experiment!

ehbeth, I'm embarrassed to say that we haven't updated our website, and it's been a year already! It's hard to believe how fast the time flies by! Actually, my partner's son does the site for us, but he's had a lot going on.

I just LOVE breakfast for supper! Mmmm, bacon, eggs, baked beans, homefries and grits with a couple of pieces of toast and a cup of coffee.....now that's heaven on a plate!

Swimpy it's good to hear from you! I kind of figured you might be the one to try the sandwich! I really hope you do, 'cause I think you'll like it!

I'm going to try to make a concentrated effort to keep popping in much more frequently....I promise!

shewolfnm, it does sound like you've got a few egg issues!.....But, that's ok....just improvise! Leave the egg out...Let's see, (this is really going a bit outside the box)....how about a large homemade ravioli thats filled with peanut butter! The texture, if you used your imagination, might be similar to that of an egg, although a bit chewier!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 10:00 pm
When I was stationed at Ben Guerrier AFB in Morocco in the late fifties, I consumed more BLT's than any other time in my life.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 03:24 am
shewolf: I'll eat your eggs for you! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 11:30 am
chun chum LOL, you've got me pegged. I was already looking to see if I had all the ingredients. I will try it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 07:41 pm
Article in the NYT today on this very subject! (another great Mark Bittman article) - see link for more images of the different pancakes by Andrew Scrivani

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/28/dining/28mini.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

The Minimalist
Pancakes of the World, Dressed for Dinner

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/03/28/dining/01pancake600.1.jpgRecipes

Recipe: Italian-Style Vegetable Pancakes

Published: March 28, 2007
Time: At least 30 minutes

About 2 pounds zucchini, eggplant or turnips, peeled if necessary
1/2 onion, peeled and grated
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup flour or plain bread crumbs, more as needed
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1-4 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil.

1. Grate vegetables by hand or with grating disk of a food processor. In a bowl, mix together all ingredients except the butter or oil. Mixture should be fairly loose but not liquid; add a little more flour or bread crumbs if necessary.

2. Put butter or oil in a large skillet and turn heat to medium-high. When pan is hot, put large spoonfuls of batter in pan. Cook, turning once, until nicely browned on both sides, 10 to 15 minutes total. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Yield: 4 servings.

Recipe: Spinach Pancakes

Time: 30 minutes

10 ounces fresh spinach, well washed, large stems removed, or 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 to 2 cups buttermilk or thin yogurt
2 eggs
2 tablespoons melted and cooled butter, plus unmelted butter for cooking
1 cup sour cream, optional
1 tablespoon minced lemon peel, optional.

1. Put spinach in a covered saucepan over medium heat, with just the water that clings to its leaves after washing; or plunge it into a pot of salted boiling water. Either way, cook it until it wilts, just a couple of minutes. Drain, cool, squeeze dry and chop.

2. Heat large skillet over medium-low heat while you make batter. Heat oven to 200 degrees. In a bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Place 1 1/2 cups buttermilk in another bowl. Beat eggs into it, then stir in the melted butter. Stir this into dry ingredients, adding a little more buttermilk if batter seems thick; stir in spinach.

3. Place a teaspoon or two of butter in pan. When butter foam subsides, ladle batter onto skillet, making any size pancakes you like. Adjust heat as necessary; first batch will require higher heat than subsequent batches. Add more butter to pan as necessary. Brown bottoms in 2 to 4 minutes. Flip only when pancakes are fully cooked on bottom; they won't hold together well until they are ready.

4. Cook until second side is lightly browned; as pancakes are done, put them on an ovenproof plate in oven for up to 15 minutes. Mix sour cream and lemon peel together and place a small dollop on each pancake.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

Recipe: Korean-Style Crisp Vegetable Pancake (Pa jun)

Time: 30 minutes

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon corn, grape seed, canola or other neutral oil, more as needed
5 scallions, green parts only, cut into 3-inch lengths and sliced lengthwise
20 chives or 5 chopped scallions
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
1 small yellow or green squash, trimmed and grated
1/2 pound chopped shrimp, optional
1 tablespoon rice or white vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar.

1. In a medium bowl, mix flour, eggs and oil with 1 1/2 cups water until a smooth batter is formed. Stir scallion greens, chives, carrots, squash and shrimp, if using, into batter.

2. Place an 8- inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, then coat bottom with oil. Ladle in about a quarter of the batter and spread it out evenly into a circle; if first pancake is too thick to spread easily, add a little water to batter for remaining pancakes. Turn heat to medium and cook until bottom is browned, about 3 minutes, then flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.

3. As pancakes finish, remove them, and, if necessary, drain on paper towels. In a small bowl, mix together the vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Cut pancakes into small triangles and serve with dipping sauce.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

In the meantime, I have a box on my counter of a packaged mix for making Rava Dosai (Gits brand), which are indian pancakes made with semolina flour, rice flour, hydrogenated vegetable oil (ugh), salt, citric acid, sodium bicarbonate, sesame seed powder, cumin seed powder, and permitted antioxidant. Pancakes to be served with chutney..
Well, I'll try these. If I like them I'll try to find a recipe for homemade ones...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 07:54 pm
In Germany, we eat pancakes for dinner as well. Sometimes with fruits,
jam, sugar or with vegetables. But our pancakes are more like crepes,
rather large and thin.

http://www.foolforfood.de/media/crepes_pfanne.jpg

http://www.kochkiste.de/GefuelltePfannkuchenLafer.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 08:05 pm
That looks good, Jane, so I tried to look up a recipe/translation. Haha.... it leaves me none the wiser.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://free.pages.at/kschin/gefuelltepfannkuchen.htm&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DGefuelltePfannkuchen%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Filled pancakes

- 150 g Weizenmehl
- 1/4 Teelöffel salt
- 3 eggs
- 300 ml milk
- 40 g butter

Filling:

- 200 g lean quark
- 2 Eigelb
- 50 g of fine sugars
- 50 g sour cream
- Salt, vanilla sugar
- 2 Esslöffel semolina
- 1/2 federation Zitronenmelisse

to finishing:

- Butter to the roast
- 150 g sour cream

Preparation:
1. From flour, salt, eggs, milk and the zerlassenen butter also
the Quirlen of the hand agitator a smooth paste agitate.
30 min. taken off to rest leave.
2. In a pan 8 thin pancakes bake, of
a page are gold brown and a dry top side
have. Do not turn, but with the baked side
downward on pergamentbögen stack.
3. Quark on a filter 30 min. to drip off leave. With Eigelb,
Sugar, sour cream, salt, vanilla sugar, semolina and ge -
hackter Melisse mix.
4. The finished filling into the center of the baked side that
Pancakes set. The pancakes like a letter -
envelope over the filling fold up. In hotter
Butter from both sides roast. With Sauerrahn and
Plum compote serve.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 10:51 am
I liked the rava dosai. Turns out rava means semolina..

here are some how to - links. The spices are different than in the box mix, I might try these recipes with those spices instead..

http://mydhaba.blogspot.com/2006/02/rava-dosai.html
http://www.bawarchi.com/contribution/contrib97.html
http://premascookbook.blogspot.com/2006/08/rava-dosa_23.html

Anyway, VERY easy and delicious.
0 Replies