Depo shot...should my side effects be this intense?

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 11:08 am
i have been on the depo-prevara shot for...about 8 months now, next month i will be going in for my 4th shot. im having really abnormal side effects, and im considering switching to the pill...

i started my period when i was 5 years old. ive had one every month since then, now im 20 years old and recently in the past 4 -5 years i began having two periods every month, in the beginning my original plan was to get on the shot bc i was having a period just about every two weeks, it would last about 4 days, but the 4 days were miserable and i was becoming emotional all the time due to my period. i finally decided to get on the shot when i started becoming sexually active with my boyfriend. i figured it would help to regulate my periods and also reduce the possibility of pregnancy.

since then, ive had my periods...but not anything like i had expected. when i start my period...its like a normal period...but it lasts for about a month and a half. because i have to keep changing out my tampons and shower constantly, ive started having urinary tract infections...and the medicine i take for the UTI causes a yeast infection.

my periods will be heavily steady for the first week, and then after that i will bleed heavily off and on for about 4 more weeks, i might go a whole day dry and then that night i'll bleed heavily for about an hour and then i wont bleed again till the next morning. some days are different. some days i will have the big blood clot looking thing at the bottom of the toilet too. one time it was like the size of a golf ball. it freaked me out.

because of this, i have a constant "issue" down there, i'm either bleeding, in horrible pain bc of a UTI, or im uncomfortable bc of a yeast infection. and it definately isnt helping my sex life...its made me to where im not as sexually arroused as i usually would be, bc im nervous of spotting, or clooting...or pain.

also i've been experiencing mood swings that cause me to throw temper tantrums and become out of control, and ive also developed an anxiety disorder.

i havent experienced weight gain, in fact ive lost abut 35 lbs. I was overweight when i started, and about 4 months later i began to take a diet pill prescribed to me by a dietition.

i have an apointment with my gyno on thursday and im hoping to get some answers, since my doctor hasnt been any help. anything i've asked her has gotten a completely out there...non relavent answer and so i quit going to that doctor. i was checked twice before and once after i started the period. i dont have any STDs or conditions, and obviously im not pregnant.

im wondering if these are side effects due to the shot...or if its just coincedence that they started recently and if i should be concerned.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 14,154 • Replies: 18
No top replies

snood

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 11:21 am
I'm no doctor, but your symptoms sound like things that happen with hormone imbalance, and Depo is a hormone shot....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 11:47 am
You obviously didn't read the posts before yours on the other thread. I highlighted the symptoms you listed.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Depovera is a dangerous birth control and should not be used anymore unless there are no other options.

The side effects are many (because it is given in a higher dose than the pill), some are serious and include increased risk of osteoperosis, loss of libido, hair loss, depression, nausea, body pains , breast tenderness, increased risk of breast cancer, severe headaches, slow returning fertility, possible supression of immune system, heart palpitations, weakness, rash, hot flashes, bloating, abdominal pain, convulsions, fainting, paralysis, blood clots, allergic reaction, infertility, weight gain and pain during sex. Not to mention, these side effects may last beyond taking depo.

PLEASE PLEASE do your research on this poison. Read what the leaflet the doctor gives you doesn't say, and what real women are saying about it.

I don't trust Depo and wouldn't take it if I had to.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2298509#2298509

Depo is a poison. Blood clots that size are NOT normal.

Note that these side effects are not the only ones you can have...just the more serious ones.

All the other side effects you get with hormonal medication are also possible.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 12:07 pm
On the other hand - my girlfriend has been on Depo for over a year with no serious side effects. She has taken her last shot now though - we are talking about trying for a little one.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 12:13 pm
I wonder about something like a small bleeding fibroid being possible.
You may also be quite anemic by now.

I'm not clear if it is another doctor or your gynecologist that has been no help. Your symptoms are troubling, and whoever the md is should be tracking the situation.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 12:13 pm
snood wrote:
we are talking about trying for a little one.....

Shocked

A mini snood??

Woohoo!
It will be the best thing that ever happened to you. Trust me. Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 12:14 pm
Sweet news, snood..
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 12:16 pm
Yeppir -
by this time next year, a whole lotta things might be WAY different for your friendly neighborhood snood......
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 01:55 pm
snood wrote:
On the other hand - my girlfriend has been on Depo for over a year with no serious side effects. She has taken her last shot now though - we are talking about trying for a little one.....

Surprised Why is there no clappy smilie!!! Good luck and have fun on the trying... Mr. Green
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 01:57 pm
snood wrote:

Some people do heroine all their lives and never od either but that doesn't make it good for you...

VERY glad your gf is doing ok on it but be aware it can take 6 months or more to conceive after depo.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:19 pm
thats ok.

it just prolongs the " making" part wich is the best part of all. Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:21 pm
snoodlette?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:33 pm
Cool
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 03:17 pm
Gawd, how I hate depo. It's taken me since January to even start to get close to having a normal cycle again, and it's still not quite there.

My mood started improving quickly, but it's amazing how different I am now, and that's taken almost as long to get completely back to normal. I'd actually pretty much forgotten what my normal self was like, it scares me to say...I definitely would never use it again, ever ever ever.

Oopsie, forgot to say: Congrats, Snood!! That's great news. Very Happy
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 08:44 pm
snood wrote:

WAY COOL, Snood!! Glad to hear it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 08:59 pm
Back to bleeding - I had that for a while, and it was a tiny bleeding fibroid, tiny but prolific, which is why I mentioned fibroid as a possibility earlier.. By the time I managed to explain all that to my gyno, and he managed to find the tiny bleeder shortly thereafter, I had almost no iron stores.

If you are bleeding as much as you are saying here, it's important. Keep explaining until someone pays attention. This is not routine.

In my case, I had a short not painful surgery, one of the first laser thingies --in scientific terms-- and got better fast.

I don't know that you have that, but you have something going on. Please get medical help for it.
0 Replies

terrihorvath

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 06:52 am
Depovera
i have been on the shot for about 5 years. 2nd year i lost my period completey. Then i started getting it right when my shot was due so every three months. Now on my 5th year and planning on going of it after my next shot. But this year i have been getting my period like 3 weeks before my shots due and i will have it till i get my shot but its not heavy just spotting and maybe more one day than the other. So right when I got my shot it went away. But then agian i got my period 3 weeks years and my doc said i could get the shot 2 weeks early so i did and it has been 5 days since i got it and for some reason i started bleeding again and this has never happened. Its started 3 days after my shot. Is this normal because i have been on the shot for a long time and this has never happened.
0 Replies

been there

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 05:12 pm
Depo Shot
I have had two injections total ...I too had constant heavy bleeding and increased my iron intake...I was suppose to get another shot end of Nov.07 I have had extreme dizziness and find myself off balance, blurred vision, flushed and sick to my stomach. I was thinking it might be my blood pressure however I'm going to give this shot some time to wear off after reading some of your postings...I believe it should be listed as a poison as well.
0 Replies

shawna1017

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 08:50 pm
I had the same symptoms! dizziness, extremely tired, extremely depressed, developed an anxiety disorder, lots alot weight due to depression. I was on the depo shot for 1 year then went off and started feeling better and not doing my research i went on it again and right away noticed all the same awful symptoms coming back and knew right away it had to be depo... i am off it now and feel 100% back to my normal self Smile at the time i thought I did all my research but there wasnt alot of info available and when i asked the doc the symptoms he just said weight gain and oseoprosis. This truly is a POISON... DO NOT TAKE IT!My cousin had the same side effects, she was so depressed she was suicidal and she was told to never go on it again... but the unfortunate thing is that there is nothing out there to counteract the drug... you just have to wait for it to wear off.
0 Replies