The island of Bermuda is a colony of what nation?

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 05:17 pm
Do you know the answer?! Very Happy Razz Exclamation Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 24,515 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 05:33 pm
Bermuda is an overseas territory of the United Kingdom (aka England). (That's the official designation -- Overseas Territory. Tell your teacher we don't have 'colonies' any more. That's sooo 19th/20th century.)
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 02:12 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Bermuda is an overseas territory of the United Kingdom (aka England).

Not this one again! The United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is only "also known as" England by ignorant people. (I won't say where most of them live, but I'm surprised at you, merry Andrew, if you are a Brit as you seem to imply. I just don't know what they teach in schools nowadays.) The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 05:28 pm
The fact remains that Bermuda is an Overseas Territoty of that United Kingdom. You're quite correct, contrex, in pointing out that technically the United Kingdom consists only of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. I put in that "aka England" because I had some apprehension that anyone who did not know the provenance of Bermuda might not know just what "United Kingdom" refers to either. The United Kingdom -- i.e. the former Great Britain -- does still lay claim to a number of Overseas Territories and Crown Dependencies, Anguilla, Bermuda nd the Falklands among them. While it may not be any longer true that "the sun never sets on the British Empire" (mainly 'cause there ain't no Empire any more), it is true that it takes the sun a long time to get out of sight of British possessions.

BTW, where do I seem to imply that I'm a Brit? That would constitute running under false colors. No, I'm a Colonial, a Yank.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 05:31 pm
We could take Bermuda in a surprise Sunday raid with a platoon of South Carolina National Guard in a bunch of Grady WHite Express fishing boats.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 08:53 pm
farmerman wrote:
We could take Bermuda in a surprise Sunday raid with a platoon of South Carolina National Guard in a bunch of Grady WHite Express fishing boats.

Yes, we could. But why would we want to?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 09:33 pm
and how would we ever get out of a mess like that?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 11:00 pm
Elections...
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 12:36 am
Merry Andrew,you got out of one hole, and then dug another.

Firstly, you say that "technically" the UK "only" consists of Scotland England and Wales. But it was YOU who said that the UK was "England". You don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Dumb yanks call us "England". The United Kingdom is not some "technical" thing, it is the proper title of the country I live in. Calling Britain "England" is like calling the US "Alabama".

Next, what is this supposed to mean?

Quote:
i.e. the former Great Britain

Great Britain is a geographical term, not a political one. It refers to the island which contains England, Wales and Scotland. There is nothing "former" about it. It still exists.

I thought you were claiming to be a Brit because you wrote this in the context of Bermuda being a colony of Britain:-

Quote:
Tell your teacher we don't have 'colonies' any more.[

Who is 'we' exactly in this context? Why did you write it?

If 'we' means Americans, then you are even more ignorant than I thought. since you haven't heard of a US colony called Guam. Or any of the other US colonies either.

I suggest you reflect what this site is called (Able2Know) and restrict yourself to writing about stuff which you actually know about, rather than just posting complete BS which helps nobody and just misleads people who come here for help.

Farmerman, you may be right, but so bloody what? What a pr*ck you are to write like that. No wonder the rest of the world thinks Americans are dumb loudmouth bullies who badly need physical help to STFU. Anyway surely the South Carolina National Guard are all over in Iraq murdering women and children for fun?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 03:52 am
contrex, Big talk from a little faceless weenie from a country no bigger than my Catholic Parrish. If we want to invade Bermuda its our damn business an there aint nothing you can do.
Why dont you go invade the Falklands to up your national esteem.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 03:54 am
Roger, its good to hear some common sense. We would only stay in Bermuda until we could guarantee a stable government brought about by free elections . We could support the "Casual Shorts Party" they are least likely to support the insurrection .
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 04:05 am
You're a feisty little dude, aren't you, contrex? I suggest you curb your ad-hominem barbs before you come a-cropper. This site, as a rule, is not a confrontational arena.

And you show your own ignorance by calling Guam a U.S. 'colony.' That term has never been applied to Guam or to any other U.S. possession. Colonialism -- in name, at least -- is as dead as yesterday's front-page news. I have already explained why I used the admittedly inaccurate "United Kingdom (aka England)" phrase. I don't intend to repeat myself and do so again. And the phrase "Great Britain" was traditionally used to refer to England and all of its worldwide possessions, i.e. during the days of the Raj. That, too, is older than yesterday's news.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 04:41 am
contrex wrote:

Dumb yanks call us "England".

Great Britain is a geographical term, not a political one. It refers to the island which contains England, Wales and Scotland. There is nothing "former" about it. It still exists.

Its real name is pommie land cause its full of pompous woftams. (actually the irish and the scots couldnt care less and the welsh just want to sing so its just england that cares and who gives fat rats clacker what they think anyway.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 07:19 am
wtf's a woftam? and a clacker?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 11:29 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
And you show your own ignorance by calling Guam a U.S. 'colony.' That term has never been applied to Guam or to any other U.S. possession.

It is a colony in all but name. Its citizens are subject to laws passed by a congress they cannot vote for. call it an unincorporated territory if you like, but it is still a colony, just like Puerto Rico.

Merry Andrew wrote:
The phrase "Great Britain" was traditionally used to refer to England and all of its worldwide possessions, i.e. during the days of the Raj.

No it wasn't. Boy you are ignorant. There was Britain, and the British Empire. Different things. Don't they have books in your trailer park, dumb boy?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 03:15 pm
contrex, you keep driving that garbage truck up and down my street and I'm coming down from the front porch with my 16-gauge over-and-under. No-one -- with the possible exception of some border-line retardates -- has ever referred to Puerto Rico as a colony, not even those few Puerto Ricans who'd like to see the poor benighted island become independent. You might as well refer to Northern Island as a colony, and if I did so, I'm sure you'd find some more barbs to throw at me. Just as in Northern Island, there have been plebiscites held to measure the temper of the people as regards their political status. The choices were always threefold -- work towards statehood as the 51st state of the USA; become an independent country; or remain as a territory of the US with all the benefits that this entails. Every time that such a plebiscite has been conducted, the overhwelming majority has voted to keep things as they are.

What does any of this have to do with Bermuda anyway?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 03:29 pm
Say, Bubba, why do they call the football team in the World Cup "England?" Why do the hooligans were red and white face paing, and wave flags which only contain the St. George's cross?

Why is the established church known as the Church of England?

Why is the central bank known as the Bank of England?

Why is the narrow sea which separates the islands from France known as the English Channel?

Tell us, Bubba, we wait with breath abated . . .

Personally, i just call 'em all Sassanach . . .
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 03:34 pm
Setanta wrote:

Why is the narrow sea which separates the islands from France known as the English Channel?

Personally, I've always referred to it as LaManche. (And I believe that most non-English and non-French speaking people on the continent of Europe also call it that. I'll have to check with Walter.)
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 03:37 pm
Say, Bubba, why do they call the football team in the World Cup "England?" Why do the hooligans were red and white face paing, and wave flags which only contain the St. George's cross?

There are Scotland Wales and Northern ireland teams, they don't usually get very far.

Why is the established church known as the Church of England?

Because there is no established church in Scotland or Wales.

Why is the central bank known as the Bank of England?

Historical reasons. There is one in Scotland too.

It's called la Manche.

Tell us, Bubba, we wait with breath abated . . .

Look up 'abated', ignorant tard. Compare with 'bated'.

Personally, i just call 'em all Sassanach . . .

What's this 'bubba' thing? Is it some dickweed Amerikkkkkan insult?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 03:38 pm
Bubba is either a term of friendly affection, or one of derision. Let's see if you can guess how it's being used here.
0 Replies