THE DANGER OF GUN-FREE SCHOOL ZONES

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 02:53 am
THE DANGER OF GUN-FREE SCHOOL ZONES

"The violence at Platte Canyon High School in Bailey, Colo.,
demonstrates the fallacy and false sense of security created by
'gun free school zone' laws, a Second Amendment group says.

The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (CCRKBA)
says it is time to reassess such laws. 'All they have done is create target-rich,
no-risk environments for monsters who have no fear of encountering
an armed teacher or administrator, or a legally-armed private citizen who
might happen to be in the building,' said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb.
'This sort of thing didn't happen before the advent of gun-free school zone laws,' Gottlieb said."

- CNS News, 9/28/06

Whenever this sort of thing happens,
I pity the victims,
who were rendered HELPLESS by operation of law,
thus making them attractive targets for homicidal maniacs,
who 'd have no chance at all of success
if their VICTIMS had been armed in their own defense.

David

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 04:51 am
Don't worry, David, there are still plenty of places you can go to shoot people without that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 05:48 am
I think, every child should at least take two in school: one to protect against teachers, the other against other children. (Both could be used against others than.)

Why are there schools, if you can't go there without guns?
dyslexia

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 06:02 am
Yes, of course every student should be able to strap on the 44 mag along with his lunch pail then attemd school but, you know, here in New Mexico it's even illegal to carry firearms into your favorite saloon on sat night for a round of beers, a few shots of tequila and an argument over the merits of Chevy Cameros vs Ford Mustangs. It's a sad world we live in innit?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 06:10 am
You're so right, dys. That was really the only thing, I've deeply missed when being on visit there. (Colorado is the same sad situation, isn't it? They have to exercise biathlon in Aspen when they want to duel.)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 06:27 am
Maybe they should have machine guns mounted in cases throughout the school. Everybody has an instant opening code to access the weapons. Sounds like a great idea.
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Maybe David should arm himself with some common sense.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 06:27 am
To be fair (something I'm not usual at) When I first moved to south-eastern New Mexico I kept a Marlin 22 at my back door and in the winter time I would go out in the early morning and climb up on the roof with my rifle and walk around the edge of the house shooting the rattlesnakes that came up to lie along side the house foundation for warmth before I could let the dogs out into the yard. Guns do still have their place in the old south-west even though I have not fired any of the guns I own in at least 20 years my Winchester 94 is still at on my mantel (as Walter can attest).
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 06:36 am
Nice piece...those 94's
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 06:57 am
Intrepid wrote:
Nice piece...those 94's

And really good working as well:

dys's gun on a wall in our apartment helped excellently to keep unfriendly people out! :wink:

http://i10.tinypic.com/3y52r7m.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 07:09 am
I suppose the odd thing is Walter did not seem to feel uncomfortortable having my whichester 94 on the matel.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 08:09 am
WOW- ICAN TALK BIG TOO
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 08:12 am
farmerman wrote:
WOW- ICAN TALK BIG TOO

Indeed you can, my dear Baldrick, but we all wish you wouldn't.

It would be awful if OSD's awful habits took off.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 08:57 am
Unlikely deb. No one else feels so small and insignificant and ignored as omsig.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 11:07 am
A hostage/shooting situation broke out here in beautiful Amish country a few miles from my house (right in the area where themovie " Witness" was filmed)

Some nut drove up to an AMish SChool and tried to take hostages and then just opened fire on the kids. Apparently, at least 4 kids were shot and the roads are all closed off. (my wife tried to run over to the Amish plain goods store and was turned back by cops in flak jackets).

The Amish do not countenance hand guns though some (in rumpsringah phase) will go hunting with shotguns.
I dont know. This entire area is the embodiment of peeaceful countryside that to envision cops in flak jackets just leaves one questioning our entire gene pool.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 11:40 am
farmerman wrote:
A hostage/shooting situation broke out here in beautiful Amish country a few miles from my house (right in the area where themovie " Witness" was filmed)

LinK: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/amish_school_shooting&printer=1
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 11:41 am
If only those schoolchildren had guns, why it might not have happened.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 11:52 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
If only those schoolchildren had guns, why it might not have happened.

I'd suggest that school principals be required to keep an M-16 in their office, and that they be required to be fully trained in how to use it.

CCW for teachers would help as well.
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 11:55 am
"Nickle Mines" is a tiny cross-road with a country auction house as the only building (used to be a general store) Everybody waves at everybody else and we probably know some of the kids that were shot(although I hope not). BUT, ironically, here was another event in US history that is considered to be the first shots of the US Civil War, in 1851 runaway slaves owned by a Maryland Farmer named Gorsutch, sought refuge in what became known as the "Christiana Riots" giving. That event occured just a few miles East of this and is still referred to as the horrid spot on our otherwise peaceful local history.

I cant believe it.Those poor kids and their families
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 11:57 am
Quote:
I'd suggest that school principals be required to keep an M-16 in their office, and that they be required to be fully trained in how to use it.

CCW for teachers would help as well.

Amish schools will close first. They will not have guns . I imagine that this school, in conformance with Amish tradition, will be burned down and the ground "shunned"
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 12:28 pm
farmerman wrote:
I cant believe it.Those poor kids and their families

Looks like he sent all the males out of the building and then shot the girls.
0 Replies