Can you fall in love with someone you've never met?

Mame

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 08:28 pm
and whatever you do, don't chuck your present life (including your family) into the garbage and move to another country and then come here and whine about it...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 09:04 pm
Have you ever gone out with someone you first met online? Maybe you should give it a try, safely--with a friend along, for example--and find out how your perception fit with the real thing.

Your tender youth has immediately raised red flags for those of us who are older, but as long as you are careful, go for it.

You really stated it best:
Quote:
Just a sidenote to those people who insist meeting online and online dating is for saddos, you are SO wrong...it's much nicer to get to talk to someone first, judge their character and everything without the distraction of actually seeing them. Getting to know people before you see them can be much nicer, it's better to fall in love with a personality than someone's looks...

Right there you have shown wisdom beyond your years. All the social and physical cues are powerful distractants. Meeting a person's mind first is, to me, the most important factor in whether or not the relationship will work.

For me, I left a 34 year marriage to be with a man I met online. I was 60 years old at the time and had lots of life experience. It was the best thing I've ever done in my life. You don't need to wait until you're sixty (I was a slow learner), but do be careful. And keep that romantic imagination--it leaves you more open to the very interesting, creative and intelligent people out there.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 09:17 pm
Diane, I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there appear to be sparks flying between Mame and myself. I'm not sure if we're ready to meet in real life quite yet, and as of lately some competition has entered the fray (I speak of the wily Victory Murphy) but at some point down the road I expect Mame and I to be sitting at a quiet table in a roadside restaurant, staring into each others eyes as we sip wine and nibble on crackers. There will be light conversation and we will comment on each other's clothing and then we will depart, perhaps a light peck on the cheek, and vow to dine again.

It might lead to something.

But probably not.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 09:36 pm
Gus, you siver fox, you, there are hundreds if not thousands of women on a2k and throughout the internet who have the hots for you. If you haven't noticed, shewolfnm is sniffing around in her alpha female way, so you'd better take a shower and wash off some of that swamp smell.

BTW, I I'd known about you before Dys came along, I might be sitting on your face right about now.....how're them apples, big boy?
0 Replies

deeppainlady

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 12:57 pm
Mame, correction....i moved from other country because of a very good job offer that I can't resist and I am doing this for my kids' future it so happend that my lover was also from that country. I didn't put them in garbage, likewise im not whining, if you can't say anything good, just keep your mouth shut, you're not helping me at all. I need understanding and not criticism. End of story, thanks anyway!!
0 Replies

deeppainlady

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 12:58 pm
Mame, correction....i moved from other country because of a very good job offer that I can't resist and I am doing this for my kids' future it so happend that my lover was also from that country. I didn't put them in garbage, likewise im not whining, if you can't say anything good, just keep your mouth shut, you're not helping me at all. I need understanding and not criticism. End of story, thanks anyway!!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:46 pm
I frankly don't see any difference between meeting on-line and meeting in church. Well, I don't go to church, but, you catch my drift. I agree with Diane and knowing a person's mind first is the most important thing. Ah, those hidden personality traits can kill you!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 03:31 pm
LOL, plainoldme, it took me 34 years to figure that one out and then get up the nerve to leave.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:44 pm
deeppainlady wrote:

Hit a nerve, did I? Not surprising. I'm not here to help you, anyway, whinylady. You asked for feedback and advice and you got it - all sorts. And you don't need understanding, you need a good shaking. Grow up and live with the results of your actions. It's pretty clear what you need to do.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:54 pm
honey_rose_cr wrote:
Can you fall in love with someone you've never met?
Gee, I hope so... because my crush on Brooklyn doesn't seem to be going away...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 06:20 pm
OBill, I havne't seen her lately. That might not mean anything since I tend to come and go, but I have missed the delightful flirtation between the two of you. Best to both of you.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 06:24 pm
She's in my shed, Diane. Sharpening some tools for me. She said O'bill doesn't do much for her anymore since that fateful day that she had a flat tire at the end of my driveway.

The rest, shall we say, is history.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 06:49 pm
Diane wrote:
OBill, I havne't seen her lately. That might not mean anything since I tend to come and go, but I have missed the delightful flirtation between the two of you. Best to both of you.
She's pretty much buried at work with the end of the Month, Quarter, and Year and setting up for the New Year. She'll be back.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:21 pm
Gus I think I am going to have to inform O'Bill about this horrendous fate worse than death for his sweetheart. Sharpening tools? Hah, your tools I'm sure have eroded far beyond the need for sharpening. One of these days, Gus, you will have to visit the land of dry climate and see what it can do for your tools. All of them.

That sweet thing is probably developing a swamp cure for all your so-called relatives. Speaking of relatives, she is no relation to you is she? Whew, that means there won't be any hanky panky between the two of you. O'Bill can rest easy.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:35 am
Diane -- The problem with my marriage was that my former husband may have been in a need for emotional and intellectual housecleaning at the time I met him and what I experienced -- along with his incredible talent for effective and instantaneous lying -- was his trying on his hoped for outlook and personality, which he discarded after the wedding. I remember how much you struggled with the decision to leave your marriage and I am happy that it turned out so well for you.

Actually, I have to confess to having minor crushes on a few of the male contributors to a2k, esp., the ones who make me laugh as I sit in front of the computer screen!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 04:16 pm
I was just thinking of a person who posts on this and on other fora. Without having met, I can't stand her and I have never addressed her on any fora. I just ignore her. Well, if you can heartily dislike someone you've never met, you can love someone you've never met.
0 Replies

baseballchic

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 05:04 pm
i agree with this. if you can not like someone then you can love someone. so it is possible. besides, meeting someone in person isnt always the best way to decide whether youre in love or not. it takes personality and heart too. Cool its not always the coolness that matters.
0 Replies

firefly07

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 08:42 pm
I understand
Me and this guy have been talking online for a while. We only live like 50 miles apart so its not like we can't meet we just haven't talked about it. I try not to get my hopes up, but I've got to where I can't wait to get home and see if he's mailed me back. I think that we could actually hit it off if we ever meet, but I don't want to make the first move. I guess it's funny that a guy can make you feel so good about yourself that you've never even meet.
0 Replies

baseballchic

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 03:54 pm
well like i said before, it may not be real and true love. right now im in belief that it is possible. i have fallen for someone ive never met. it was not real and true love but it was something big for me. what i belive is that love is something thats hard to come past and if you really truly believe that you have a chance at love just jump and go for it because you could miss out on something that is really great over being scared of it.
0 Replies

Longtimenosee

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 12:42 pm
You can still keep in contact occasionally as friends. He turned out to be a great guy. No regrets.
I agree that you can continue to date men in your area.

At least don't close off your eyes to the possibility. Don't let it take over your life.

You're showing signs of being ready to fall in love and find someone special. It may be this guy, it might not. Stay alert.

Shortly after you can start dating a guy you like for a long time that live right near you. The trip, the adventure, the internet guy: willgave you huge confidence to just go for it!

Day by day, that's all. No expectations. Take care.
0 Replies