The Nazi Spoon

Irishk

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 12:33 pm
@panzade,
It would make a great short story. I love the title of the thread, too.
panzade

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 01:04 pm
@Irishk,
yeah..Irish , what I was thinking when I posted. I have read some short stories in the New Yorker that have a poignancy that is similar.
I love the juxtaposition of a relic from an evil empire used for such a mundane task like eating pudding.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 04:46 pm
My condolences about your mother, Roberta. I was going on what you had written way back in 2003 to start this thread.
Roberta

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 07:58 pm
@InfraBlue,
Infra, She died that same year. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Irish, Thanks for the suggestion. For the first time in a long time, I'm actually considering writing something for publication. This is an unusual story. Chocolate pudding/nazis. And the pudding won! The nazis suffer yet another defeat.
sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 07:59 pm
@Roberta,
Do it, Roberta! I've always loved this story.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 08:03 pm
@Roberta,
And use the same title! It really piques the curiosity.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 03:22 am
@CodeBorg,
Thanks for posting the link to this thread, Roberta.

I'm with CodeBorg on the Nazi Spoon.

Nothing what-so-ever to do with you.
Even better, transform something with potentially evil connotations to something else altogether! Smile :

Quote:
My first instinct: The spoon contains memories. Also, some
uncomfortable adult symbols, but nothing can dominate chocolate pudding!
It makes you smile.

Respect your own history. Keep it in the attic or a scrapbook
in case you ever get old, or if you would want to share the story
with even just yourself.

(Whatever happened to CodeBorg?
So long ago ...
I loved his posts.)
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 05:09 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
This is an unusual story. Chocolate pudding/nazis. And the pudding won! The nazis suffer yet another defeat.
Won? As a person who had a quarter of my family erased by the N____ horror (my grandfather, his brother and their father are all that weren't killed and they had left just prior to the Lemberg battles of 1914)I see no victory here. Unless you recall each and every time the many lives ended. the families shattered, then you are betraying all decency. Whether the spoon itself was or wasn't a part actual part of the N____ belongings matters not, it still symbolizes a terrible terrible time and series of events. If pudding, even chocolate(and I absolutely love chocolate) means that much more then I am saddened. The N_____ didn't suffer a defeat, they've been immortalzed by your sentimentality.

My apologies if this seems all too harsh but for me there would never be justfication for keeping such a vile reminder.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 05:19 am

U shoud keep your old friend, the chocolate pudding spoon.

I have 1 or 2 very light aluminum forks with swastikas
from the New Jersey Hindenburg Zeppelin fire of 1937 (pre-war).

I also have a 9mm German Luger P-'O8 from 194O.
On very close examination, I found a little eagle engraved
on the right side, above and to the right of the trigger.
After examining the eagle with several magnifying glasses,
I cannot really see if he has a swastika below him.
The gun works smoothly, but it is only 9mm.

I bought it at a gun store; I know not its provenance.

David
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 06:25 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis, I'm very sorry that many members of your family were horribly erased in the Holocaust. I grew up surrounded by people who suffered mightily from it. My mother's casual response to my questioning her about it was a surprise.

When I rediscovered the spoon, I felt extreme discomfort. Didn't know what to do. It disappeared for several years. I didn't think about it. When it reappeared, my reaction was that I was glad to see my old chocolate pudding spoon.

I'm sorry that my sentimentality offends you. I have very few happy memories of my mother. The spoon is connected to one of them. I'll hang onto it. My heirs will have to decide what to do with it.

0 Replies