Memorable Sentences From Books

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 07:34 am
Tell us a memorable sentence from a book. It's an opportunity to bring a great writer or book to our attention. I'll begin:

"Migrations of bright birds arrowed our destination, and crystalline voices from lakes echoed our words as we passed."

"The Guns of Avalon"
by Roger Zelazny
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 12,345 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:52 am
"When the Old God goes, they pray to flies and bottletops."

--Don DeLillo, Mao

(Noce thread, Brandon!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 04:15 pm
How could she have known the way the blossoms creep slowly up towards Tokyo, following the warmth, how the pink arrows of the blossom front move from day to day across the TV weather map, how the buds begin to open and everyone starts to calculate, "Half open today, maybe full bloom Thursday, we could have our party Friday night, or if there's no wind, if it doesn't rain - will they still be there on Sunday?"

In the Empire of Dreams by Diane Highbridge
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 06:26 pm
from italo calvino's book "if on a winter's night a traveller"

the opening paragraphs discuss the best conditions for preparing to read the book, this sentence has stayed with me for more than 20 years

it could apply to many things in life

"Best to close the door; the TV is always on in the next room."
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 01:26 am
"I've a mind to lay you down and split you like a rack of mutton."

Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 02:21 am
Quote:
Love is the fire which nothing can assuage

The Conference of the Birds

Farid Ud-Din Attar
0 Replies

alpal100

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:26 am
my favourite
"Do not pity the dead Harry. Pity the living, and above all pity those who live without love."

Spoken by Albus Dumbledore, in 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'

Its such a meaningful thing to say
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:43 am
The one that pops into my head a lot and I dont even know if its right is 'They call me Ishmal' from Moby Dick.Ive never read it.
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 05:12 am
"Stay gold ponyboy, Stay gold"

The Outsiders
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 07:04 am
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, during the Pearl Harbor attack:

Quote:
The rest of the day is spent, by Lawrence Pritchard Waterhouse and the rest of the Navy, grapping with the fact that many two-dimensional structures on this and other ships, which were put into place to prevent various fluid from commingling (e.g. fuel and air) have holes in them and not only that but a lot of **** is on fire too and things are more than a little smoky. Certain object that are supposed (a) remain horizontal and (b) support heavy things have ceised to do either.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 07:13 am
Same book:

Quote:
Like every other creature on the face of the earth, Godfrey was, by birthright, a stupendous badass, albeit in the somewhat narrow technical sense that he could trace his ancestry back up a long line of slightly less highly evolved stupendous badasses to that first self-replicating gizmo -- which, given the number and variety of its descendants might be described as the most stupendous badass of all time. Everyone and everything that wasn't a stupendous badass was dead.

As nightmarishly lethal, memetically programmed death-machines went, these were the nicest you could ever hope to meet....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 07:58 am
DrewDad wrote:
Same book:

Quote:
Like every other creature on the face of the earth, Godfrey was, by birthright, a stupendous badass, albeit in the somewhat narrow technical sense that he could trace his ancestry back up a long line of slightly less highly evolved stupendous badasses to that first self-replicating gizmo -- which, given the number and variety of its descendants might be described as the most stupendous badass of all time. Everyone and everything that wasn't a stupendous badass was dead.

As nightmarishly lethal, memetically programmed death-machines went, these were the nicest you could ever hope to meet....

That's really excellent.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 08:30 am
I highly recommend the book. Cryptology, mathematics, warfare, information theory, computers, lost treasure, love, blackmail, religion, and submarines. What's not to like?
0 Replies

Nasser Ghassembaglou

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 10:52 am
@Brandon9000,
"Got any more?" Nick asked. "There's plenty more but dad only likes me to drink what's open." "Sure," said Nick.

"He says opening bottles is what makes drunkards," Bill explained. "That's right," said Nick. He was impressed. He had never thought of that before. He had always thought it was solitary drinking that made drunkards.

The Three Day Blow
Ernest Hemingway

The true story
0 Replies