Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 09:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Done.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 10:42 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Did you see the size disparity between Serena and Putin?
Wow.

Tennis players are typically huge. Serena is on the muscular side, but size wise, she is of average height for a tennis player. The women are often over six feet and the men noticeably over that. (The final has 6'2" Djokovic against 6'3" Murray.) I remember seeing Williams and Davenport standing on either side of an announcer and they dwarfed him.
panzade

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 11:14 am
@engineer,
Putintseva is 5'4"....a wee thing
engineer

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 11:46 am
@panzade,
That makes her unique for a modern player. Billy Jean King was 5'4", but that was in a world completely different from today where athletic giants roam. Muguruza, William's opponent in the final is 6'0".
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 09:21 am
@engineer,
En battant la n°1 mondiale, Garbine Muguruza remporte son premier titre en Grand Chelem ...
Kolyo

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 09:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Uh oh, with Serena's loss, America's presence in tennis has fallen to the point where we actually have to read about our losses in French.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 10:34 am
@Kolyo,
Since Spanish newspapers are behind a paywall, I've used that French headline for the female French Open winner. Wink
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 04:51 pm
Very sad for Serena. Hard for me not to pull for her. For some reason, Serena doesn't seem to get the love that we used to give for our great champions running their final races.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 05:11 pm
@engineer,
In answer re Serena - I admire her.

I am not that involved, less than most here,
as most here have more media access..

I do not have a smart phone
I do not have a tv
I do not have anything but announcements, for example, the very useful commentary from the Guardian. I get they are not perfect, but I get to access their commentary.

I'm not whining. I can maneuver to some extent.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 05:39 pm
@engineer,
Meanwhile the old Djoker is on the brink of a Serena slam of his own. I think we need to come with a term for winning four consecutive grand slam events but not in the same calendar year. How about "crooked slam"? Tiger Slam, Serena Slam, ... we need to stop renaming it after whoever just achieved it most recently.

engineer

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 05:43 pm
@Kolyo,
Ah, but it was Richard Williams who named it when there was no name for it. Still, I'm up for a name for a non-calendar slam.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 08:20 am
Something that hadn't happened before: a German final at the Weber Open in Halle (a 500'er)

http://i63.tinypic.com/23m3gi0.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 09:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
While Alexander Zverev is the highest-ranked teen in the ATP rankings (World No. 38), Florian Mayer is the lowest-ranked tour-level finalist since years (No. 192 - but he returned to action only a year ago following a lengthy absence due to an adductor tear).

http://i63.tinypic.com/rcps1w.jpg

Dozens of seats (out of 12,000) weren't occupied today: most of the Swiss crowd went home early.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 12:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
As of today, Mayer is on No. 80 (plus 112) and Zverev on 28 (plus 10).

No. 1 players as before Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 04:51 am
Quite some stress during the first days of Wimbledon: switching from one tv-channel ("court") to the other court.
(I watch mainly a 'conference channel', but there are two different of those today.)
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 11:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Ok, Fed beats Willis..
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 12:17 pm
@ossobuco,
That has been a "Willis day" on centre court! (Willis plays as no 3 in a Cologne tennis club's team, in our states' regional league [that's the third level in Germany's tennis league system].)
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 06:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The vibes were good re him in the Guardians sport's guy's take - I forget which one.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 10:28 am
@ossobuco,
Querrey!!! (Won versus Djoković )And now perhaps Millman (vs Murray)
engineer

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 12:24 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Breakout day for Querrey!!! Sad for Djokovic. The last time he lost this early in a slam was the last decade.