Anyone like Tennis?

engineer

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 04:53 pm
@Kolyo,
It's not over yet, but you have to favor the number ones in the finals. Another doubles title for Hingis and Mirza, making it three slams in a row for the team and the 12th slam doubles title for Hingis.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 03:27 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
It's not over yet, but you have to favor the number ones in the finals.
Well, after the first set, it doesn't look too easy for Williams.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 04:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Still not very easy for the No 1 .... Wink
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 04:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
BRAVO!!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 10:48 am
Sounds amazing. I'm sorry I missed it!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 01:34 pm
An epic match.
Congrats to Kerber for winning her first GS and to Serena for being a gracious competitor and a great role model.
engineer

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 03:48 pm
@panzade,
Well deserved win for Kerber. She beat the best player around in the final and likely the second best around in the quarters and she looked pretty sharp doing it. She put up some great numbers a couple of years ago, but this looks like taking it to the next level.
0 Replies

henrjon90

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2016 05:55 am
@ossobuco,
I always following the google news
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2016 10:21 am
@henrjon90,
I wrote that opening post almost ten years ago, and now rarely look at the New York Times. I do bookmark the google news page, but not particularly for learning about tennis schedules. For that, I look at sports websites.

If you are interested in tennis, you might look and the 49 pages of this tennis thread.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 11:51 am
Djokovic absolutely demolishes Murray in the final. Even with a terrible quarterfinal match, Djokovic demonstrates he is the best in the world by a fairly good margin.
Wilso

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 10:12 pm
@engineer,
Was too busy with the kids to see that match. Saw the highlights at the end. Some of the shots Djokovic made defy belief.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 10:35 pm
@Wilso,
In our 'younger' days. Much younger days, we used to play tennis pretty regularly - although I was bad at the game. Being legally blind in one eye isn't good for depth perception.
engineer

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 07:12 am
@Wilso,
Murray hit some nice shots as well, especially the third set, but Djokovic routinely gets balls that look like winners and hits strong shots off of them. It's really becoming Djokovic and the big three instead of the big four.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 04:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
c.i. - I can understand your difficulty.

I'm a lifelong tennis player - but a couple of years ago I had a retinal bleed, while playing tennis. It obscured most of my central vision in one eye. It was a competition, so leaving the court wasn't a great idea. At the time, my partner and I were leading 5 - 0. Then we lost 7 - 5!

It was even more fun trying to drive home at 11.30pm afterwards.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 01:26 pm
@margo,
I can t00. The good thing is that my visual issues are stable.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 01:16 pm
Venus is returning to Indian Wells! You can read her essay here.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/venus-williams-indian-wells-tennis/
panzade

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 01:19 pm
@engineer,
We got tickets. I can't wait
engineer

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 03:38 pm
@panzade,
I've got to say that was a pretty good essay Venus wrote. I might have teared up a bit, likely due to the dry air here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 03:45 pm
good to read this
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2016 08:31 pm
Maria Sharapova held a press conference yesterday to say she has been busted for using a banned substance at the Australian Open.

Quote:
The five-time Grand Slam champion said Monday she failed a doping test at the Australian Open in January for meldonium, which became a banned substance under the World Anti-Doping Agency code this year.

The former No. 1 said she had taken meldonium, a heart medicine which improves blood flow and is little-known in the U.S., for a decade following various health problems including regular sicknesses, early signs of diabetes and ''irregular'' results from echocardiography exams.

''I was first given the substance back in 2006. I had several health issues going on at the time,'' she said. Sharapova didn't specify whether she had used it constantly since then.

Meldonium was banned because it aids oxygen uptake and endurance, and several athletes in various international sports have already been caught using it since it was banned on Jan. 1.

Latvian company Grindeks, which manufactures meldonium, told The Associated Press that four to six weeks was a common course.

''Depending on the patient's health condition, treatment course of meldonium preparations may vary from four to six weeks. Treatment course can be repeated twice or thrice a year,'' the company said in an emailed statement. ''Only physicians can follow and evaluate patient's health condition and state whether the patient should use meldonium for a longer period of time.''

Several thoughts go through my head:
- Doesn't she have people to keep track of this stuff; doctors, trainers, coaches, etc?
- Why has she been using this for ten years?
- Nice job holding a press conference and owning up to it.
- Not that she needs it but she just lost eight figures in endorsements.
- Despite being Russian, Sharapova has lived in the US since age seven where this stuff is not approved. Wouldn't she have seen a US sports expert? At the high end, I doubt you could beat US doctors specializing in sports medicine.

Quote:
While meldonium was banned as of Jan. 1, the decision to ban it had been announced by WADA and sports organizations as early as September 2015. Sharapova said she received an email with information on the changes in December, but did not read the information at the time.

- And you probably should not put the World Anti Doping Agency on your spam list if you are an athlete.