Anyone like Tennis?

engineer

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 09:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Brown is 2-0 against Nadal. Just like Nadal has Federer's number because his game stacks up well against the Fed, Brown's game stacks up well against Nadal. Nadal can't move left and right on the baseline and fire hammers, he's got to move up and back and handle off speed and slice balls.

Personally, I like to see the old style, attacking tennis that Wimbledon was known for before the advent of modern strings. I wouldn't mind a few more like Brown.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 07:15 am
@engineer,
Me too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 09:45 am
Ok, Federer and Murray move up to semifinal.
Kolyo

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 09:57 am
@ossobuco,
Murray's 4th round match against Karlovic was pretty amazing to watch.
Karlovic is two meters tall and almost impossible to lob, but Murray lobbed him a half dozen times.
engineer

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 10:58 am
The Williams-Azarenka match yesterday was amazing. Those two are the most reliable rivalry in women's tennis right now. They've played three barnburners this year. Unfortunately, because of Azarenka's injuries last year, they are meeting in early rounds.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 02:18 pm
@Kolyo,
Two metres?

He's 6ft 11in, and must be able to reach up 10 feet (with racket) without even jumping.

Very impressive lobbing indeed. Three or four of them, if I remember.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 10:11 am
Serena just casually dismissed Sharapova. Evert said she made Sharapova look like a club player. Very harsh but not invalid
Ragman

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 10:14 am
@engineer,
Sharapova...is not in the same league as Serena. Of course, not many..or any...are.
engineer

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 12:47 pm
@Ragman,
Sharapova has a winning record against every other player in the top 20, but she matches up so poorly with Williams. Evert spoke about the quote from Serena's coach.
Quote:
“She does not have a mental block against Serena,” he said. “Serena simply plays tennis much better than she does. ... Sharapova is a great champion. She has great qualities. She fights incredibly and has tremendous mental strength. But at some stage, her level of play hits a ceiling.

“That said, Serena is not immune to a bad match, right? All streaks have to end, but even if she has a bad match one day and loses, we cannot say there is not an enormous gap in their level of play.”

Evert said something like "very strong words, but hard to argue with."
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 05:39 pm
With Serena a match away from simultaneously holding 4 four major titles, tomorrow features another all-time open era best player in what may be his second to last ATP match, ever. Although I'm (half) British, I have to cheer for Fed tomorrow against Murray, in the hope that he can win his next two matches and then immediately retire, on top, like Sampras did. Go out at the All England Club in a blaze of glory, Fed!!!
engineer

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 06:11 pm
@Kolyo,
I doubt he would retire while still being the second best player in the world. I will say that beating Murray and then Djokovic to win Wimbledon would be a tough act to follow.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 06:59 pm
@Kolyo,
I wish that too. I've got some doubts, but his mental game has been going pretty well..
ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 11:25 am
@ossobuco,
All right, Fed!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 11:37 am
@ossobuco,
http://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/7/10/1436540274083/d081a052-33ac-4a83-bffb-ba7eef8d9e58-2060x1373.jpeg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=7ffd16a346e5f8846892ee4a3b185c58
Novak Djokovic pats the centre court grass after his win. Photograph: Tom Jenkins for the Guardian
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 08:56 am
Serena captures Wimbledon to hold all four Slam trophies at the same time for the second time in her career. She also becomes the oldest slam winner on the women's side passing Navratilova by a few weeks.
panzade

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 09:11 am
The 10th game in the second set Fed/Murray was the best I saw this fortnight.
15 minutes of true tennis passion.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 09:13 am
@engineer,
I followed it via the Guardian live tennis column - interesting match. Congratulations, Serena! Very Happy

Garbine Muguruza:
"I don’t have words to say how I feel. I am very proud. Thanks to the crowd for supporting me. In Spain we don’t have much grass, I’m going to change things now. I want to say congrats to Serena, she’s showing why she’s still No1."

Serena to Garbine: "Don't be sad. You'll be holding this trophy very soon, believe me. You're a great champ" .
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 10:13 am
A few years ago, when Serena had only (!) won 11 major titles and was having a couple of inconsistent tournaments, there was a lot of talk about how she isn't living up to her potential; how she was too distracted by outside concerns to rise as high as she could; how she didn't have the character or work hard enough to stay fit enough to blah, blah, blah......

I really wish I was seeing an equal number of "I was wrong"s to the number of people who were taking her inventory and finding her as not measuring up.

I hope she wins enough when its all said and done that those people gag when they try to say her name.
engineer

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 11:48 am
@snood,
They aren't saying they were wrong, but they are all on the Serena bandwagon now. Saw some glowing comments from McEnroe and Evert recently and they were never Williams fans. Even Navratilova who was publicly saying Serena was lying about being sick at Wimbledon last year has been pretty subdued. You can also see a shift on the comment boards. Serena always brings out the haters but recently there are so may pro-Serena posters that the haters find themselves pretty quickly overwhelmed. J.K.Rowling took down a hater this morning on Twitter. When Harry Potter is on your side, you are in good shape.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 08:06 pm
Did anyone watch the ladies doubles final, and if so, what channel was it on?

I tuned in at 2pm (New York time) and ESPN was reshowing Murray-Federer. They went with a day-old semi over a live final?
0 Replies