Anyone like Tennis?

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 05:31 pm
I've been enjoying the NYTimes blog, primarily by Michael Kimmelman, who I'm used to reading when he writes about art. But he's joined by several other good writers who are apparently hanging around the US Open typing away as they feel like it. I like all the different viewpoints. Have always like Vecsey's writing, but can't read him in the paper lately because he's now in the Times Select group that you have to pay for to get access to, even on the day of the article. My favorite writer on the blog is Kimmelman, he seems to have my eyes, if I had his.

link here -
http://usopen.blogs.nytimes.com/?author=6

I'm enjoying the play by play, as it were, so much that I want to see if I can go back and read the blog on the World Cup. Probably not, as so much time has passed.

Anybody on a2k following this? Going to the matches?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 29 • Views: 79,746 • Replies: 1,254

spidergal

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 10:31 am
I do follow international tennis -- one of the first things I want to glance over on the morning newspaper. Not going to the matches, though?

Well, so are you following the US open (http://www.usopen.org/)?

Who are your fave players?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 10:38 am
I am primarily following the New York Times blog on the open, and then google news.

My favorite players so far are Federer and Davenport, primarily for their personal styles in comportment on and off the court. Nadal is fun to read about, as is James Blake.

Who are your favorites?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 10:44 am
Killed me that Serena lost to whatshername yesterday.

(haven't you heard, Osso? real Men don't like tennis!!)
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 10:48 am
In my early teens, I loved to watch Martina Hingis. She still has it in her and if she can adapt herself well to the power-game era, she can make it to the top-notch.

I loved Pete Samprass, Agassi.

I never missed a match of Leander Paes-Mahesh Bhupathi (doubles) till they were united. They were first ever couple to reach all the four grandslam finals (and they grabbed the two of them.)

I often like to watched Sania Mirza when she broke in to the intertional circuit, the Indian tennis sensation. She has been so over-rated, hyped that you probably must have heard about her. She is too careless with service. Slow and her game has now become too predictable.

Presently, my faves are:

Men: Federer, he is classy.
Women: Sharapova, she has speed, power. Way ahead in the game.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 10:54 am
snood wrote:

Whatwashername is world no. 1. Amelie Mauresmo of France. 2006 Australian Open and Wimbledon champion.

Americans have such poor GK.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 11:04 am
spidergal wrote:
snood wrote:

Whatwashername is world no. 1. Amelie Mauresmo of France. 2006 Australian Open and Wimbledon champion.

Americans have such poor GK.

GK? What's that?
Uh, just by the by, I knew who Serena played.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 11:06 am
Not knowing that GK stands for General knowledge is enough of a proof Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 11:13 am
I didn't understand what GK meant either. Do I need to turn around and insult Indians?
Am not presently a fan of Mauresmo.
Haven't kept up, didn't know Serena lost.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 11:20 am
I did not mean to insult. It was only a teaser. So, who would you put your stake on?

I will go for Federer and Sharapova.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 11:25 am
Federer for sure. Will report back on which woman will win..
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 11:29 am
spidergal wrote:
In my early teens, I loved to watch Martina Hingis. She still has it in her and if she can adapt herself well to the power-game era, she can make it to the top-notch.

Yeah, she sure was a tennis prodigy. She's always lacked the killer serve that is a key to today's power game, though. If she didn't have it in her heyday, she's not going to have it now in the twilight of her career.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:19 am
Capriati was anything but fast but she did come back and stormed through the power circuit. You never know. Hingis is looking good and anything can happen in the course of a year.

Update: Janakovic of Serbia enters semifinal by beating Dementieva.

Sharapova takes on Golovin.

Roddick to clash with Hewitt.

Hmm, interesting action coming up. Very Happy

Click here for live scores
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:40 am
I was a pretty decent player in my younger years. I used to follow it all the time. Rarely now because I think most of the players have become like most celebrities. Overpaid arrogant cocksuckers.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:41 am
I don't mind seeing Lleyton Hewitt win because he's Australian. I don't mind seeing him lose because he's a knob!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:44 am
I wouldn't mind his winning either but for Sharapova. Did you know he played cricket before turning to tennis?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 10:22 am
On the women, I'll still root for Davenport, although she is probably the unlikeliest.

Much of my interest in tennis, as with many sports, lies with the stories behind the matches, and with the writing of the stories -- not primarily with who wins or loses. Thus I'm interested in Michael Kimmelmann's blog in the NYTimes - he's one of their art critics, not your usual sports writer though he knows his tennis well enough. (He's not the only writer on the blog.)
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 11:08 am
I want Sharapova to win 'cause she's hot.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 11:37 am
Gosh, the match has been delayed due to rain.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 02:16 pm
Well, Davenport just lost to Henin-Hardenne, so I'll start rooting for someone else...
OK, Jelena Jankovic has my best wishes...
0 Replies