Water Softener Tank Brine level

wd8dsb

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 09:39 am
OK, it's been 9 months and I am back with a new problem.

Two regeneration cycles ago I noticed that the water in my brine tank was no longer clear (almost looked like a clear oil spill) in the water in my brine tank. I run my salt level just below (approximately 2") below the top of the water line in my brine tank. After a second regen cycle the water was still not clear in the brine tank, and I then noticed what looks like very fine sand residue on the sides of the brine tank at the water line and wonder if this is resin that has somehow gotten into the brine tank.

As a reminder I am using the Fleck 5600SXT control value.

Have you guys ever witnessed a similar problem, and what was the root cause?

Don
Joethewaterguy

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 03:51 pm
@wd8dsb,
if your using salt blocks it could be contaminents from something it picked up in it's travels through the many warehouses it's been in.
0 Replies

djenka2

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 05:32 pm
Hi all,

This is the first time I ask for help, I tried to figure it out myself but no success.
I have old Myers FA30-6N water softener, this is the first water softener in my life so not sure how to manage it properly.
I always add one bag of crystal salt (from Home Depot) to brine tank and then in about 10 days I have to watch and add more. I was told by someone to make sure water is always above salt level and I am not sure if that is correct advise.
My question is, can I add salt up to 1/2 or 3/4 of brine tank? If I can, is the water table (brine) supposed to be above the salt or under the salt?
Please advise.

Thanks

PJ
justalurker

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 09:56 pm
@djenka2,
Always start a new thread for a new question than resurrect an old thread that has nothing to do with your question.

The water level in the brine tank is calculated to produce the desired amount of brine for regeneration.

Add enough salt to cover the water and check on a weekly basis.
0 Replies

Email Shmemail

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 01:47 am
I'm new to this so be easy on me. I just moved into a house with an Autotrol 1550 TC softener system. The salt tank is empty with no salt whatsoever. There appears to be a couple inches of brine (or liquid) at the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure how long the tanks' been empty of salt. It might have been a while since all the toilets may have stained with hard watter or something. I was just planning on putting the system on bypass and cleaning out the salt tank and refilling it with new salt. Should I be worry. Is there something else I need to do since I'm not sure how long its been empty? whats the affect of forgetting to add salt over a long period of time.
0 Replies

scottsgretch

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 11:57 am
This is over 4 years after the original writing, BUT the man 'BOB' is an idiot!
'Nuff said!
0 Replies

Rio Bende

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 10:27 am
Hi folks, I left my brine tank use up all the salt for probably 2-3 weeks before I discovered that it was empty. I added solar salt a week ago and my water still seems hard. I just looked and it is a little wet only at the bottom of the brine tank; the salt just above the bottom is dry.

My electric switche box appears clean and operating.

But it's not working, is it? Or should I just stay patient and wait longer than this one week. Many thanks!!
0 Replies

zoneIII

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 02:39 pm
@Bob6831,
I know this thread is old but I, too, can't believe what Bob has posted. First of all, he explained his issue very poorly, to put it mildly. Second, he was rude to the very people who were trying to help him. Lastly, it's absolutely ridiculous for him to be so obsessed about not dumping a little brine. All this trouble over a little salt water????? I am impressed with the patience others have shown to this rude, confused, and rather odd person.

BTW, all he had to do was put the salt in with the brine. I don't know where he got the idea that all the water would go to the top. The brine will mix in with the water, filling the gaps in the pellets. And he said he didn't want the salt on top but that it wouldn't overflow if he did put the salt in?????? The guy made no sense at all. The folks who tried to help him deserve a medal!
0 Replies

glicker

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 12:53 pm
@H2O MAN,
Hi. You seem to know your way around a water softener/conditioner. My daughter is moving into a rental condo where there is what appears to be a fairly new softener. When I popped the lid off the brine tank there was no salt, just about a foot of water in the bottom. The landlady was there and was clueless as to whether any salt had been added and said the unit was new. I said it needed salt. She now says she added a bag. My question is what happens to the conditioner if no salt is added? Is the resin simply used up at a faster rate? Is the water improperly conditioned?
Thanks
0 Replies

srwhite74

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 02:40 pm
@H2O MAN,
I have a question. I just put bleach into the salt well instead of the brine well. Is this a major mess up? Can I drink my water after it regenerates?
0 Replies

r s tech

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 11:49 pm
@Bob6831,
What may be happening is the softner adds water to the salt tank to a certain level. If there is salt in the salt tank it takes less water to reach that level. If u let in run out of salt it will have to add more water to reach that level because there is not salt to displace the water. So when u add salt it displaces the water and it rises above normal. Do u have a silver series softner?
0 Replies

sirpiggy

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 07:21 am
i need help with what i believe is a problem with my brine tank overflowing
0 Replies

RJ01

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 04:18 pm
@h2oman
I checked water softener for salt level and noticed the brine water level was really high. I added salt and discovered that the overflow drain was not tended to by the installer (water everywhere). So I've tended to the drain (fortunately I had a place for the water to be sent to) and I've cleaned the venturi well hoping that this would take care of the water level being too high. But I just forced it to perform a cycle and while my drain worked well it appears that no brine was drawn. Suggestions???
0 Replies

jgav

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 05:25 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O Man, my the pellets have turned to like paste, what should I do?
0 Replies