Dys - I found the book w/the good pasta/clam sauce recipe

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 05:35 pm
I finally unpacked my cookbooks, so I can post the exact recipe.

from the New York Times Internation Cookbook, 1971 edition
by Craig Claiborne
Words in italics are mine - Osso

Spaghetti with Anchovy and Clam Sauce

3 salted whole anchovies or 8 canned flat anchovy fillets (I use less, 3 or 4)
2 dozen cherrystone clams in the shell (I used canned, separating clams from the juice. I usually have some bottled clam juice in the refrigerator, and use it along with the juice from the can to make up one cup.)
1/4 cup of olive oil
3 tablespoons of butter
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 shallots, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley, preferably Italian
1/2 teaspoon chopped rosemary
1/2 cup dry white wine
freshly ground pepper
Salt (very little, since the clam juice and anchovies add plenty of salt) - I don't add any
Freshly ground pepper.
1 pound of spaghetti, cooked to desired degree of doneness. (I usually use a 1/2 pound, but make the same amount of sauce)
Hot chili flakes (optional) - I always add them

1. If salted whole anchovies are used, wash them in cold running water to remove most of the external salt and any tiny scales that may be present. Use the fingers to pull the fillets from the bones, discard bones, set fillets aside.

2. Open the clams or have them opened and reserve both the clams and one cup of clam juice. Finely chop the clams (there will be about three- quarters cup) and set aside.
(or open can, separate juice, as noted above)

3. Heat the oil and butter in a skillet. Add the garlic and shallots and cook until lightly browned. Add the anchovies and stir until they dissolve.
Add the parsley, rosemary, reserved clam juice, and white wine and bring to a boil. Add pepper to taste. (I add red pepper flakes here too.)
Simmer about fifteen minutes.

4. Add the chopped clams. If they are fresh clams, cook five minutes. If canned, don't cook any further, they will warm in the sauce.
Serve piping hot over the freshly cooked spaghetti.
Serve hot pepper flakes on the side, if desired, but no cheese.
(I make the sauce first, let it sit while spaghetti cooks; when the spaghetti is al dente, I quickly turn up the sauce to heat a little more, drain the pasta, and put it in the pan with the sauce, tossing it, then turning off the flame. This works since I usually only make a half pound.. Serve in warm bowls (microwave about 30 seconds each)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,665 • Replies: 21
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 06:10 pm
wonderful, now, when you will be over to make some?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 06:39 pm
Teach a man to fish...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 07:07 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Teach a man to fish...

Yeah yeah yeah, I already know how to open cans of tuna.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 07:08 pm
So, a can of clams should be simple..
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 06:55 pm
@ossobuco,
I am going to make this several times before going to Florida in December. This will wow my hosts.

Joe(going to serve with salad and crunchy crunchy bread.)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 07:07 pm
@Joe Nation,
I await your judgement..
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 09:14 am
@ossobuco,
Hello ossobuco. Hope today finds you with smiles.
I'm giving this recipe a whirl. I enjoy clams, and anchovies. Just need to pick up a few shallots, and some clams. They might not be cherrystones. Hopefully though.
I will be back tomorrow to let you know.

I'm hungry.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 10:24 am
@alex240101,
Oh, good, Alex. I'll be curious..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 10:49 am
@ossobuco,
I make an almost identical clam sauce. I never had a recipe just winged it (my prefered way of cooking). I think I do almost everything you do (except I only use the juice from the can of clams and I use the canned whole baby clams instead of chopped so I may have more juice). And I don't use rosemary (although that would be good) - I use italien spices instead. And no anchovies (just because I don't like them); I replace shallots with scallions (although shallots would be tasty in there) and sometime I add mushrooms. All else is the same, but perhaps the measurements as I don't measure just add as it seems right to me.

I may have to try it now with the shallots and rosemary.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 11:29 am
@Linkat,
Linkat, I use the canned whole baby clams too instead of chopped fresh clams.
Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 12:20 pm
@ossobuco,
great minds as they say! They are much more tender
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 12:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not experienced in cooking with "real" clams - I figure good fresh clams are much better than canned clams, but only from my having them in restaurants on the pacific coast, and slight childhood memories of a clam shack near Boston. Oh, and some fresh baby clams in tiny shells on a pasta in Tuscany...

It's sort of moot here in the inland valley of hot sand. Fish in general are like some kind of aberration here. First they coat frozen fish with some concrete like encasement, or they come packaged that way, then they fry them to monolithic dry burnt slabs...
chai2

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 01:01 pm
@ossobuco,
oh god...I thought the title of this thread read "good plasma sauce recipe.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 01:07 pm
@chai2,
add enough garlic and chile flakes and your plasma will perk right along...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 02:12 pm
@ossobuco,
I've used fresh and I've used canned. The fresh of course do taste better, however, the canned is easier and cheaper and they are pretty tender. I also did not chop the clams when I bought them fresh, I saute them in the pan with the shells on and presented them on top of the pasta in their shells.

Also, it is easy to keep a can in the pantry and to whip up the dish at a moments notice. Overall (unless I am out to really impress, I just go the can route).
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 07:45 am
@ossobuco,
Hello ossobuco. Hello linkcat.
I've made clam sauce many times. Not with anchovies, and rosemary. Every time I do make it, it comes out a bit different, depending on what fresh produce I have, or what open bottle of wine I have at the time.
I did make the entire pound of pasta. I doubled up on the anchovies and rosemary. Used a Sterling pinot grigio. Had my own parsley and cayenne(dried)from the garden. I did not want to drive an hour to get fresh clams. On the other side though, I do prefer the juice of canned clams, to bottled clam juice.
Anyway, I did enjoy this recipe ossobuco.The anchovies and rosemary did give this recipe its uniqueness. Next time I'm going to add a few tablespoons of flour to the skillet after the anchovies dissolve, and roux it. Maybe some citrus add the end.
Hmm. Clam soup. Thick, creamy.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:04 pm
@alex240101,
Hah, I've been known to make clam soup with the leftovers from this dish -- usually a tomato based soup with the pasta and clam sauce added just long enough for them to get hot.

Making a roux sounds good too, Alex...
are you thinking lemon?

I used to like Sterling vineyards, visited there once. How's their pinot grigio?
alex240101

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 04:07 pm
@ossobuco,
I am not a wine connissuer...but since you asked. I like Sterlingspinot grigio. It is light, crisp, and...I don't know, nutty. My wife enjoys the Sterling Vinters collection merlot. If I have to drink a merlot, that would be the one.
There are many good to great wineries in Michigan, In hte lower pennisula, in Leelanau County, Suttons Bay area. It is gorgeous.
Have a nice day Ossobuco.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 05:00 pm
@alex240101,
You too, Alex.

I'm no wine maven, among other reasons because I have little sense of smell. The whole snifter/glass sniffing thing is something I just skip - which makes me the weirdo on those rare fine dining occasions. But I like the way some wines taste to me. Maybe I have wine receptors on my tongue to make up for demented nasal nerve endings.

Plus I like the labels..
actually, I have liked the "wine country" in a few locations, just as beautiful land.
0 Replies