What in the heck is "Drop Foot"?

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:27 pm
I can't lift my right foot at the ankle. It came on suddenly wiithout injuring it or anything. My General Practitioner called it "Drop Foot", & ordered a nerve conduction study. The test isn't until Sept. 14th. I'm very curious because I've never heard of it before. I'm not in pain, it's numb. It's just the strangest thing! Anybody ever heard of it?
Thanks!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 19,366 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 01:26 pm
I Googled quickly and found this:

http://www.emedicine.com/orthoped/topic389.htm
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 01:43 pm
Yeah isn't it something you get when you have been lying in the same position for too long (think the elderly or immobile confined to beds for long periods of time are prone to it.)
0 Replies

jeanniefranks

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 07:18 pm
Foot drop
Hey, THANKS! I went to that e-medicines link and WOW that's a world of information!! My GP recommended a nerve conduction study but I can't get in until Sept. 14th.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 07:34 pm
Yep, Mr B had severe compartment syndrome a few years back in his calf muscle as a result of an auto accident. He had surgery and a skin graft and had to wait weeks to see if the procedure had been done quickly enough to prevent lifelong 'drop foot'. In the case of compartment syndrome it's the result of an injury and most probably is not the source of your condition.
0 Replies

jeanniefranks

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 02:07 am
Drop foot
Holy cow! How soon after Mr. B.s accident did he have the surgery? On another site, a Dr.s office who specializes in drop foot responded to my inquiry. She said "time is of the essence". But how soon is that? I know the sooner the better, but, my nerve conduction study is now scheduled for Sept. 14th. Is that too long? If it is, I can call my GP & tell her I'd be willing to travel to get it done sooner. But with the price of gas, if waiting for Sept. 14th won't cause anymore damage I should just wait.
What do you guys think? I'm a divorced mother of 4 kids, I can't take a chance with this becoming permanent!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 06:39 am
Compartment syndrome is a medical emergency and is associated with excruciating pain far beyond what is expected for the given injury. If your drop foot did not come on as a result of an injury and you are not screaming out in pain, then it is most probably not compartment syndrome.

The story: Mr B had a car accident on a Tuesday morning and was taken to the local ER by ambulance to evaluate his legs because they had been trapped under the steering column. He was x-rayed and sent home with no broken bones. We made a follow-up appt with an orthopedic surgeon for Friday am. Wednesday night I called the ER and told them he was in severe pain, they told me it was to be expected. We went to the appt on Friday morning and the dr told him to continue to stay off it and to come back the following week. Mr B was still complaining of severe pain.

Our phone rang at 7:00 am Saturday morning. It was the surgeon telling me he'd sat bolt upright in bed at 4:00 am, thinking about Mr B. He'd recalled that Mr B is a runner and power lifter and is used to significant pain. He was concerned about compartment syndrome and for me to immediately drive him to the ER at the university teaching hospital downtown and he would meet us there. He was correct in his diagnosis and realized where most people would be screaming, Mr B was complaining. The surgery was that morning. In Mr B's case, the surgery was done in time, but Monday would have been too late.

You can see from Noddy's link that there a many causes for 'drop foot'. Compartment syndrome is the only one I know of that would fall under the heading of a medical emergency. Unless you are literally screaming out in pain, then it is most likely not compartment syndrome. You can certainly contact your Dr and ask him if he thinks waiting until for 14th is reasonable for what you are experiencing.
0 Replies

Shoe Et Tu

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:50 am
Can't you get yourself to an ER?
0 Replies

jeanniefranks

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 04:01 am
I don't think I really need the ER. But yeah, I could get there if I needed to. You know what's weird? I found something pink on the floor by my chair. I looked it over & thought how the color on one side was about the same as my toe nail polish. I looked down and sure enough! It was one of my toe nails! And I'm missing TWO of them. But what's strange is that they aren't off my "drop foot", they fell off the other foot. When examining the toes I noticed that the under side of the toes & then under the heel is kind of numb to the touch. But I didn't hurt my toes or even stub them. I'm in no pain at all with any of this. I'm thankful for that! When they do the EMG (nerve study) on the 14th of this month they are going to test both feet. I can't wait to find out what's going on. Today I was walking my dog & miss stepped with my numb foot & fell to the side walk & bruised my rib a little bit. It's such a nuisance. Confused
0 Replies

Nikkidea

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:53 am
Hi, Jennifrank did you ever find a cure for your drop foot or did it ever disappear. I have exactly the same thing myself & im worried sick.

Thanks
0 Replies

jeanniefranks

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 09:58 pm
Hi! Yes, I made a full recovery Very Happy I had a pinched nerve. It was found during my EEG & Nerve Conduction Study. Even though the source of the problem was never found, it all came back almost by itself! I did some exercises that I just made up. I don't know if they helped or not, but something did. I hope you have the same luck! Smile
Have you Googled "Drop Foot"? That's how I found almost all my information!
Good Luck!!!!
0 Replies

jeanniefranks

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:10 pm
Yes, I made a full recovery! Very Happy A Nerve Conduction Study found a pinched nerve. There wasn't anything that could be done for mine. But, wallah!!! It all came back in a couple of months Smile
Click the link below & you'll get some good information. Good luck!!!
http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article2620.html
0 Replies

Nikkidea

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 03:00 am
That's made me feel a lot more confident. I had a look on line & must have been unlucky with the sites I looked on as some said it could be permanent !! Ive had it for about 10 days and am awaiting my nerve test. The weird thing is also like you ive lost a toenail on the other foot and another is about to fall off - quite bizarre. The thought of losing a toenail sounds quite painful but this doesnt hurt at all.
Can I ask how long yours took to come back? Like you I didnt do anything it just happened as I was standing at a family BBQ.
You dont realise how much you take a simple thing like walking for granted until this happens.
0 Replies

jeanniefranks

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 10:37 am
I read those scarey articles too. I was SO afraid it was going to be permanent! Even though my nerve study found a pinched nerve, Dr.s never found the source. So, they even told me it was probably permanent & wanted to fit me with a VERY expensive brace to keep me from tripping. I held off on the brace. My foot function came back slowly over a couple months. But I was very lucky! Keep trying to raise it everyday. If you see at least a little improvement each week you could be one of the lucky ones too! Smile I wouldn't wait more than a couple months though. The longer the nerve is pinched off the less likely it is that you'll regain use of it. I read somewhere that nerves only regenerate about 1/2 inch a month. And, leg nerves are long.
I hope I helped you a little. Oh, don't let the website Dr. Nath has scare the crap out of ya Exclamation
Shortly after I made an inquiry by email the Nurse called me on the phone & told me that "time is of the essence!" and that I should fly down there A.S.A.P. to see if I was a candidate for a nerve transfer! Drunk WHAT the F#%K Question For cryin' out loud!!! I live in Iowa & they're in Texas, if I remember correctly. There was no way that was gonna happen!
So, let me know how it goes! If you have anymore questions, or just want to chat (or VENT?) I'm right here sister Smile
Good luck, & God Bless,
Nikkidea

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 10:42 am
Thank you so much you have made me feel SO much better. I have cried countless times since this happened (including yesterday as I tried to catch my train & fell) Very frustrating.
Will let you know how I get on fingers & toes crossed x
0 Replies

Nikkidea

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 09:32 am
Thank you
Jenniefrank I want to thank you. I am FINALLY better. It took nearly 3 months (which admittedly seemed like a long time when you said it would take a few months) but the main thing is it actually went. It was so frightening reading all the bad sites about being stuck like that. You were the only good thing I read. You were the silver lining in my cloud. THANK YOU x
0 Replies

Muthamedia

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 07:14 pm
@jeanniefranks,
Jeannie,

This is so weird! I have experienced this for the past 2-3 weeks. I have been to a chiropractic physician. I feel mine is nerve-related. I can point my right toe/foot but it will not go up. I have fallen down when I have forgotten and rested my weight on the right side of my body. I also get excruciating cramps on the outer side of my legs from the knees down. I know there is a large nerve there but my college anatomy fails me for the name right now. I did not have an injury of any kind. (I swear! I've probably done permanent damage from sitting on the stool reading the Twilight books!)
dogwalker

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:11 pm
Had hip replacement two weeks ago and suffered a bruised sciatic nerve. Now I have drop foot, anyone know if the feeling will return? Dr.s. say in time but I'm scared I won't be able to drive again? I exercise daily and hope this helps.
bowenose

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 04:04 pm
@jeanniefranks,
Thank you,My drop fot came on over night for no reason,I went to the docotr the next morning by the time ihad the x-rays and then the MRI over week went by,Ive had back problems before so i figured on my own i called nerologist,when my results came back she told me to see orthopedic surgeon who wanted to do surgery the next day,I was very upset heard nothing didnt understand it at all,So I called the neologist I had made appointment with he said therapy explaine it to me alot better,Im still doing therapy for almost 2 months but u encouraged me,I did have a friends husband call me ( nero surgen) after all was said and done he said if i was going to have the surgery it should of been done right away,Right after it dropped so i think and hope I made the right choice.How long did it last for you.I just want his to be over ,just like someone else said we take walking for granted thanks Donna
Mariefra

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 06:33 am
@bowenose,
Donna, how did your surgery work out? My sister is going through this right now - and has these same desicions to make. I am getting more info from chat sites than the med sites - which are scary to say the least.
0 Replies