Tips to Ensure You Don't Leave Your Baby in the Car

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 08:59 am
Are you fu*king serious? I was listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about the ridiculous report they'd had on the news the other night regarding this current heatwave in much of the country. They had suggestions on how to make sure you don't leave your baby in the car. Shocked You foget you have a baby? You forget you have the baby in the car with you? Are you serious?

That just boggles my mind. How do you forget something like that? Who ARE these people?

So, remember, to make sure you don't forget your baby, put some baby toys in the front seat next to you so it jogs your memory before you leave the car. Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,751 • Replies: 67
No top replies

material girl

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:04 am
Maybe have a replay of the birth constantly playing on a little tv in the passenger seat.
Or have the kid hanging form your nipple as you drive.

How stupid are they!!!

There was a report in the paper a while back with the headline,'Sorry but my kids bore me to death'!!This has wound me up since read it! Why have kids!!Did you think they would be born then theyd do some tricks for you, recite poetry??!!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:06 am
We have a law in California that prohibits anyone from leaving a child
in the car unattended. Should be a federal law - "Kaitlyn law" it is here.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:10 am
It shouldn't have to be a law at all. What is wrong with people?

I just know that there will be some news story yet this summer about someone who left their baby in the car...in 95 degree weather. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:14 am
If you cant leave a dog in a car then kids are a definate no-no!!

I can remember years back on a trip in london, it was a hot day and i looked in the back of a cara and saw what looked like a doll, but it started ot move.
It was a tiny baby, wrapped in a blanket on the back shelf of a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was only about 10 and we walked past it so quickly, wish Id found a policeman and got the parents arrested.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:32 am
How on earth can you POSSIBLY forget your child long enough for them to cook their little brains in the car?!

Everyone is forgetful at one point or another, but your parenting instincts kick in quickly.

I have gotten half way to the front door before realizing I forgot to open Jillians door before.

I never leave her in the car at a gas station
I never leave her in the car at a grocery store
never never !

I don't care how inconvenient it is to have to take her out of the car seat to just hand an attendant money so I can pump gas. SHE COMES WITH ME. Beyond the heat, I don't want anyone taking my child.
And all it takes is 2 minutes to break a window, open the lock, unsnap a child , and run

less then 2 actual minutes that is..

You could do it in 45 seconds truthfully
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 10:23 am
Oh man…

The things I have seen people do.

Years back, like in 1985, I was coming out of a 7-11 from buying beer at about 10 o'clock at NIGHT and I see this car with the windows wide open, car NOT running, but keys dangling in ignition. A 2 year old is walking back and forth on the back seat, wide awake.

There's only one woman I can see through the window of the store, buying diapers. I sat in my car and watched as she browsed the aisle, most of the time out of my sight behind the shelves. I'm thinking "if I can't see her, how can she see her car?" This was in South Fla. Where God knows ANYTHING can happen.

When it comes to a childs safety, I don't care about appearing rude, I mean, we're talking about a little kid!

When this stupid woman came out, I told her she needed to be reported to the police. Actually, she didn't jump my case, but she did tell me she "could see her car and baby every second"
Well, besides telling her that wasn't true because I was watching her…WHY did she leave the keys in the car (let alone the baby) I do remember saying to her…."Even if you were looking right at your baby, I could have gotten in the car and driven off before you could have gotten to the door. You would have WATCHED me drive away with your kid. I could have driven a few blocks, gotten out of the car and you'd never have seen him again."

Much more recently, but before I had a cell phone, something even worse….
THIS car was already sitting in front of the gym I was going to, not even in a parking space, ready to just get driven away, car actually RUNNING!!!
There's 3 little kids in this car, ranging from 1 to 3….I remember walking close to the car and the oldest one just giving me the biggest smile and a "HI!!!" Eventually these 2 women came out. Even though I watched to see know one drove off with the kids, I'll admit on this occasion I didn't confront because quite frankly, there would have been a good chance they would have gotten physical. They were pretty trashy.

If I had a cell at the time, I would have been able to call the cops and given the plate # and been a witness.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 10:35 am
see...

I don't get that ****.

They might as well have plastered a sign on the cars bumper that said " free to good pedophile home, CAR TOO!!" ya know?

I just dont see how anyone truly thinks it is ok to leave their children in the car with the keys.

Child abductions aside...

what if the kid hits the emergency brake and the car hits someone elses?

What if they get OUT of the car?

what if you lock the keys in with a baby??!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 10:39 am
Oh puhleeze! I have seen tiny children in supermarket shopping carts, with the mothers' backs turned to search for an item. Just how long do you think that it would take for a one year old to stand up, and fall head first out of the cart! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 10:49 am
I have also heard of people leaving their child in their car seat on the roof of their car. In the one recent case, the child fortunately landed safely.

With so many situations where parents trade off who is dropping off whom or picking up - it can get crazy. It still seems difficult how you could forget something as important as a child though. I also double, triple check who is picking in the afternoon just to make sure we completely understand and that some one is getting the little monsters. We also call each other in the morning (not that we think one or the other would forget to drop off), but to make sure there were no problems or anything.

One other thing I have had to watch out for - is my 3 year old locking the car door. Not that I leave her in the car by herself, but frequently when we get ready to leave in the morning or any other time - I will first start the car (to cool down in the summer or warm in the winter); then I will strap her in the back seat (in her booster seat). I will shut the door to walk to the driver's side. She has locked the door and can't open it! Fortunately for us, on these few times she has done it - I happen to have the keys in my hand rather than start the car first. Believe me she certainly has gotten an earful on that one. Now what I do is make sure that I leave the driver's door open.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 10:54 am
Recently, locally:

Quote:
Heat kills man left in van
Cerebral palsy sufferer strapped in wheelchair never taken to day care.
By Pervaiz Shallwani and Christopher Baxter Of The Morning Call
A heat wave that killed a 23-year-old Montgomery County man who had cerebral palsy broke Tuesday night with violent thunderstorms that knocked out power to 1,700 PPL Electric Utilities customers and in some places showered hail as big as golf balls.

Nathan Krause, who lived in Lower Frederick Township, used a wheelchair and couldn't talk, died Monday after his family accidentally left him strapped in a steaming van for eight hours, authorities said. He was the second person in eastern Pennsylvania to die from the heat.

As distraught family members and friends mourned him Tuesday, the heat wave continued to scorch the Lehigh Valley and surrounding region, with temperatures topping out at 93 degrees, just a shade cooler than Monday's high of 94 degrees.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-a1_2heatjul19,0,7420718,print.story

Of course, a helpless person shouldn't be left alone in a hot car in the summer--or for that matter, a cold car in winter.

These days families frequently have two working parents, hectic schedules and fallible memories. Any little memory tricks that can prevent a moment of absent mindedness from ending in disaster should be valued, not mocked.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 11:11 am
I'm with you guys.

How the hell does anyone forget their child in a car, or even worse, leave then alone intentionally!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 11:41 am
Look, suppose you're a single mother and running late. You have to drop off the dry cleaning--not a usual detour.

You start rehearsing the problems coming up in the working day and instead of turning left for the day care center, you turn right and park in the company lot.

You dropped something off--you're a little late to work. Habit takes over and you don't think about the kid snoozing in the car.

I know that strapping babies into safety seats in the back seat protects them in case of an accident, but I cringe at all the time a commuting child is forced to spend admiring the upholstery of the back seat of the car.

Sozobe has talked about special mirrors so that a deaf driver can be aware of what the child is doing, but holding a conversation with a baby you can't see while you concentrate on driving is very difficult.

No wonder the kids drop off to sleep--and leave themselves subject to parental absent-mindedness.

I'm not excusing the absent minded parents, but I can see how such a situation might happen.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 11:46 am
They don't forget them, they just don't give a ****. I've seen them do that here....

Case in instance, we have a Dollar General Store, well...it never fails one of the local hillbillies will drive up, cigarette hanging out of the corner of mouth, no bra, flip-flops...whoop it into the handicap space...and crawl out of the passenger door because the driver door don't work, and haul ass into the store..., leaving a passle full of kids screaming in the back seat, no one in seatbelts, and they just...leave them...

I've sat and watched them out of curiousity, out of fear for the children, and out of anger.

Why don't I say anything, because like Chia said.....1) the physical aspect of it. That **** would cripple my ass nowadays...lol

2) Because it would take the law 30-45 minutes to show up, they'd be gone by then. (The last time I called 911, when working at the cafe, they operator asked me to detain the man????? No Thanks)

3) And were talking uneducated idiots. I'm sure their philosphy is.."Whats one less?" Besides...they know that they can spit another one out when the need applies...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:16 pm
Laughing

well shivers....I was trying to be polite as to why I didn't want to get into it with the last 2....but you pretty much painted the picture.

yeah, it's usually not someone like soz or a responsible parent that just made a wrong turn....

more like someone driving a delta 88 and scrathing their crotch and screaming...You damn kids sit DOWN back there!!!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:25 pm
I heard a case that chilled me to the bone...

Mother asks father to drop off 9-month old at daycare, which he almost never does.

He gets to the office, goes through morning routine, someone comes in about 11:00 and says, "Tom, did I see your son in your car?"

Truly, people run on automatic a lot. It would be easy to forget, if you don't get yourself in the habit of checking.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:44 pm
jeez, dd that is chilling...thinking what it'd be like if the temp was hot.

I had a gf that was getting out of her car to walk 50 feet to a mailbox, she on purpose locked the door and closed it so her 18 month old couldn't get out while she mailed a letter. When she came back she discovered the keys were locked in.

She was trying to get her son to unlock the door, but he thouht it was a big game, until it started getting hot. Then, he was crying and there was no way to work with him.

The police came in just a few minutes....here's the weird part...they couldn't immediately unlock the door and said something like..."well, we'll have to have someone come over with the other do-hicky to work on this, that'll take about 1/2 an hour.

Now it's getting hotter and the kids really crying...my gf said "NO! bust the window!" Just then, the lock thing worked, so all's well that ends well.

That kind of stuff, although unfortunate, is just being human....It's the people who leave the kids in there on purpose...

Unrelated, but in the same "Who gives a sh!t" vein.

I was sitting at an airport and this little baby in the stroller was playing with something his mother had given him to keep him busy...Cutex used to make nail polish long ago, and here's the shape of the bottle....

http://www.usedrubberstamps.com/photos/th_7968bottle.jpg

Now, it's that just the perfect size for a baby to slip down his throat, small end first, while being at the same time difficult for an adult to grip to pull out?

Like I said, sometimes screw what you sound like, this kids gonna be in trouble...when I said something, the mother looked at me like I was crazy, and said "he's not going to swallow that"

Fortunatley, the baby dropped it soon after, but god...what a terrible mother!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:46 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
jeez, dd that is chilling...thinking what it'd be like if the temp was hot.

It was; the boy died. The family started a foundation to promote checking the back seat.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:48 pm
oh NO!!!

That's too awful.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:48 pm
And it's round stuff you have to worry about kids choking on. A little-un will just chew on the small end of a bottle like that.
0 Replies