Civilians Bear Fear, Injuries, Death, Grief

By Kathy Gannon
The Associated Press
Tuesday 25 July 2006

See full story…
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/072506A.shtml
Or…
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/nation/15114818.htm

Tyre, Lebanon - Dirty bandages hid the worst of 8-year-old Zainab Jawad's swollen, bloodied nose Monday. Her arm, fractured in two places, was strapped to her chest.

Stretched out on a bed at Najem Hospital, Zainab squeezed her brown eyes shut as memories of the attack flooded back, some of her words muffled as she fought sobs.

A day earlier, Israeli bombs destroyed her family's home in the southern village of Ayta Chaeb. Then rockets slammed into the family's car as they fled.
… snip…

Jawad Najem, a surgeon at the hospital, said patients admitted Sunday had burns from phosphorous incendiary weapons used by Israel. The Geneva Conventions ban using white phosphorus as an incendiary weapon against civilian populations and in air attacks against military forces in civilian areas. Israel said its weapons comply with international law.

"Mahmoud Sarour, 14, was admitted to the hospital yesterday and treated for phosphorous burns to his face," Najem said. Mahmoud's 8-month-old sister, Maryam, suffered similar burns on her neck and hands when an Israeli rocket hit the family car.

The children were with their father, mother and other relatives when the car was hit by an Israeli missile. Their father died instantly.

… snip…

See full story…
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/072506A.shtml
Or…
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/nation/15114818.htm

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0607/S00398.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,174 • Replies: 155
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 06:15 pm
Re: Israel Drops White Phosphorus Bombs On Children
Here's another article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/mideastconflictlebanonweaponsvictims&printer=1

White Phosphorus is a good weapon, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear of Israel using it, but I don't think it's been confirmed yet.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 05:45 am
Kill em all,
Big and small;
Nits breed lice.
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 04:37 pm
I see the sickos are out tonight.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 04:39 am
I gather you did not recognise the remark.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 12:16 am
After having criticised Hezbollah's rocket attacks HRW has issued a report about the Israeli onslaught:
Human Rights Watch
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 03:49 am
Quote:
July 28, 2006
Israelis Accused of Using Illegal Weapons

Inter Press Service
Dahr Jamail

BEIRUT, Jul 28 (IPS) - The Israeli military is using illegal weapons against civilians in southern Lebanon, according to several reports.

U.S.-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) said this week that Israel had used cluster bombs in civilian areas of Lebanon, in clear violation of international law.

The group said cluster bombs killed a civilian and injured 12 others in Blida village in the south of Lebanon last week. Cluster bombs disperse hundreds of tiny shrapnel-filled 'bomblets' that are "unacceptably inaccurate and unreliable", and should not be used in civilian areas, HRW said.

Lebanese doctors, aid workers and refugees are reporting that the Israeli military has used the incendiary weapon white phosphorous in civilian areas, also in violation of the Geneva Conventions.

Dr. Bachir el-Sham at the Complex Hospital in Sidon in the south of Lebanon told IPS in a telephone interview that he has received civilian patients injured by incendiary weapons.

"We are seeing people that are all blackened, with charred flesh that is not burned by normal bombs and flames," he said. "I am sure this is a special bomb. They are using incendiary weapons on civilians in the south. We are seeing these patients."

The doctor also told IPS that the Israelis are again using suction bombs, which they used heavily during the Lebanese civil war.

"They are using suction bombs that implode our buildings," he added, "With implosive bombs...instead of the glass blasted out, it is inside the building. These kill everyone inside the building. There are rarely survivors when they use these bombs."

Bilal Masri, assistant director of the Beirut Government University Hospital (BGUH) had told IPS earlier that "many of the injured in the south are suffering from the impact of incendiary white phosphorous."

Wafaa el-Yassir, Beirut representative of the non-governmental organisation Norwegian People's Aid, told IPS that several of her relief workers in the south had reported assisting people hit by incendiary weapons.

"The most important thing is that we have an investigation for the Israelis' use of banned weapons," she said. "They have used phosphorous in Nabatiyeh and cluster bombs in Dahaya district of Beirut."

She also told IPS that a doctor at the Bint Jbail hospital, in the small city near the southern border of Lebanon where much of the fierce fighting has taken place, had told her agency that he was certain that white phosphorous had been used against civilians there.

Zacharia al-Amedin, an 18-year-old refugee being treated for lacerations from bomb shrapnel told IPS, "I was in a village near Tyre, and the Israelis were dropping incendiary bombs all around us, even though there weren't fighters near us. So many civilians were hit by these weapons."

The Lebanese ministry of interior has officially said that the Israeli military has used this weapon.

President Emile Lahoud said recently on French radio: "According to the Geneva Conventions, when they use phosphorous bombs and laser bombs, is that allowed against civilians and children?"

An Israeli military spokesman told Reuters news agency, "Everything the Israeli defence forces are using is legitimate." International law requires that the military distinguish between combatants and civilians. Incendiary weapons and cluster bombs when used in areas where there may be civilians contravene international humanitarian law.

"We are a country of humans, not animals," Sham told IPS. "Real people are dying here. You must ask this of the world, to please help."

http://www.dahrjamailiraq.com/hard_news/archives/lebanon/000439.php#more
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 03:51 am
July 29/30 2006
Shredded by Cluster Bombs
Bush and Blair: "Keep It Up!"

By ROBERT FISK

Beirut.

http://www.counterpunch.org/fisk07292006.html
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 06:25 pm
Quote:
"The most important thing is that we have an investigation for the Israelis' use of banned weapons," she said. "They have used phosphorous in Nabatiyeh and cluster bombs in Dahaya district of Beirut."

It has yet to be established that Israel has used white phosphorus, but it should be noted that both white phosphorus and cluster bombs are perfectly legal weapons.

They are in no way "banned" except in the minds of anti-Semitic propagandists.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 04:42 am
Quote:
....anti-Semitic propagandists.

Give it up. No one believes that whining bull-**** anymore.

Here is the truth:

I am ANTI -NAZI

Do you get it? Anti-Nazi

- and I can prove it.

Being called an anti-Semite for expressing my views on the suffering of the Palestinian and Lebanese people is frustrating to say the least.

There's a poem I wrote back in 2005 (Endy's Death- Diary - creative writing forum) in memory of Anne Frank - it's not a great poem by a long stretch - and I will try to do better by Anne next time - but I think it expresses my opinions adequately.

Without meaning to state the obvious, oralloy, can you not see that when a person truely accepts all races as equal - only then can he see the faults in them equally - including his own.

If it was Iran bombing the **** out of Lebanon -
If it was Iran kidnapping and torturing Palestinians
If it was Iran raping and murdering Iraqis and causing civil war in their country
If it was Iranian troops who were now pissing depleted uranium while their wives give birth to deformed babies
If it was Iran who had said in 2002 (Nuclear Posture Review) that nuclear weapons could be used in a first-strike capacity
Quote:
"against targets able to withstand non-nuclear attack."
(1)

If it was Iran ignoring the overwhelming agreement of its people that they want an end to the new middle-east crusade
http://www.stopwar.org.uk/new/images/Aug5Demo2_000.gif
(2)
If it was Iran firing more than 150 shells a day into Gaza (3) - and then claiming the right to 'defend' itself.....

I'd call THEM Nazis

But it isn't Iran, is it.

1 http://www.cnduk.org/pages/press/060213.html
2 http://www.stopwar.org.uk/new/images/Aug5Demo2_000.gif
3 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5245482.stm
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 03:10 am
ENDYMION wrote:
Being called an anti-Semite for expressing my views on the suffering of the Palestinian and Lebanese people is frustrating to say the least.

Many anti-Semites make outrageously false claims (like the banned weapon claim above) against Israel, and they try to avoid being labeled as an anti-Semite by pretending that they are not against Jews.

It doesn't work. They are anti-Semites.

I am not sure whether you are one of those people. If you are pretending that Israel is using banned weapons, then you are.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 04:01 am
That's sick, oralloy. And it's incredibly naive to think so. I think both sides commit atrocities. So what does that make me? An anti-semite and a pro-semite at the same time? Or just deranged?
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 04:15 am
Being against the actions of the state of Israel does not equal being anti-Jewish, just as being opposed to the politics of the Bush administration does not make one anti-American.

The cry of "anti-semitism" as soon as anybody criticises anything remotely related to Israel, devalues the term into a powerless epithet, an ad hominem attack that people use in order to avoid arguing the case at hand.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:12 am
I don't believe you have the foggiest idea what you're talking about, Oralloy

On 5th Aug I marched in London with 100,000 people to demand a call for a Cease Fire in Lebanon from Tony Blair.
Alongside Muslims marched not just atheists like me, but Christians, Buddhists, and yes, Jews.

In fact several leaders of the European Jewish community even got up on the stage in Parliament Square and showed solidarity with the Palestinian and Lebanese victims of US 'fed' Israeli aggression.
You should have seen them. They were magnificent - and their bravery won them great respect from the British Muslim community.

Everyone present that day shared a common bond - that of conscience.

I guess you didn't bother looking at my poem then...?
Rolling Eyes

Maybe you would be interested to read this: http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/45a/058.html
instead?

It's a speech Rev Martin Luther King made in 1967 entitled A Time To Break Silence

Hope it helps you understand my motive for speaking out.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:36 am
The Palestinians firebomb school buses (as, for instance, at Kafr Darom), blow up marketplaces, bomb discotheques, murder olympic teams, etc. Case closed.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:51 am
Do they round the children up? Maybe lure them in with promises of candy or something before dropping these bombs on them?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:53 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
The Palestinians firebomb school buses (as, for instance, at Kafr Darom), blow up marketplaces, bomb discotheques, murder olympic teams, etc. Case closed.

Sure. Palestinians = Terrorists. Case closed.

Oh eternal sunshine of the simple mind.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 10:00 am
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Sure. Palestinians = Terrorists. Case closed.

Oh eternal sunshine of the simple mind.

Well, aside from clever jibes, can you refute my point? It's a characteristic of the A2K liberals to post clever (allegedly) jibes, while fleeing from their oponents' argument. Thanks for confirming my faith in your inability and unwillingness to actually address any opposing viewpoint.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 10:07 am
I thought you were the one who is constantly reminding others of the guidelines of a civil debate. Now you kind of refuse to play by your own rules.

You stated that "The Palestinians firebomb school buses (as, for instance, at Kafr Darom), blow up marketplaces, bomb discotheques, murder olympic teams, etc.", clearly implying that all Palestinians are doing that.

It's up to you to provide evidence for your allegation, not up to me to provide evidence to the contrary. After all, I didn't make the initial claim, right? So I challenge you to find one link, and only one link, that confirms your allegation.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 10:13 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

Yeah, you know, you convinced me, Brandon. You're right of course. There's not a single Israelite in Israel whom isn't like a kazillion times a better person then all the Palestinians, Iraqis, Lebanese, Arabs, Syrians and other Middle eastern rifraff, conveniently grouped under the term slammite, combined. So let's just throw some atomic bombs on those countries. Just wipe em all out, then there are no more terrorists! Yay! And if the international community protests, let's drop some bombs on them as well... Until everyone sees the glorious truth, that the cause of the USA and Israel is just, because they are the USA and Israel!
0 Replies