Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 08:31 am
Can anyone give me the recipe for making Portuguese red pepper paste, as fall is fast approaching. I have a basic idea but need confirmation, i mean the wet paste that is used for marinating most Portuguese dishes.
Thanks in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,083 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 03:53 pm
@eliostar,
I'm wondering if this is the same thing as 'pimeton' which I've started to see written about re chefs using it, and saw some in a local store.
mismi

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:50 pm
@ossobuco,
see if this is what you were thinking...

http://www.recipezaar.com/55645

Ingredients
4 large red bell peppers, roasted and cut into chunks
1 fresh jalapeno or serrano pepper, roasted and cut into chunks
1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Directions
1Put roasted peppers, salt, garlic and 1 TBS oil in a blender, blend until smooth.
2Slowly add remaining 2 TBs oil, blending until the paste is the consistency of whipped cream.
3Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
4Note: The paste will keep in the refridgerator for up to 4 days.
5If it separates a little, drain off liquid.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 05:11 pm
@mismi,
Will have to figure out what I'm thinking... I just keep seeing mention of it in recent food articles, as pimeton, but haven't actually read the articles, since I don't happen to have pimeton at hand, plus I'm an article skimmer of the first order. Just a few days ago, I saw some in a tiny jar, and I do mean tiny, 4 oz or less, for about $5. Should have stared at the jar's small print harder.

But your recipe sounds good..
ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 05:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, Smiths here in town has a - to me - excellent New Mexico/Mexican food section, and there is a jar of roasted red peppers I quite like -

First of all, it's 16 oz for something like 3.69 or 3.99, which wouldn't matter if I didn't like it -- but makes it within my buying criteria.

It's Roasted Red Pepper all purpose sauce by what company, have to figure it out. Ah, in tiny print at the back of the label, the company is Santa Fe Ole'.

It involves red bell peppers, water, sherry wine, red wine vinegar, onion, garlic, spices. It keeps well in the refrigerator, and I add it to lots of things. As the label says, it has no sugar, salt, or oil. The red peppers are chopped not quite to a mince, but something like 1/8" to 3/16" each bit.
0 Replies