What are some typical British items... read on I need help

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 08:27 pm
I'm working on an English/British collage and need an idea for pictures of things that are sterotypically British. I already have the beatles, big ben, red telephone booths, the union jack and a buckingha palace guard. Any other ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 62,693 • Replies: 198
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 08:38 pm
One of our very own is from England. His name is Lord Ellpus and he is continually talking about the days of jousting in England. He is obsessed with the magical age of jousting....

http://stu.wccnet.org/~bwells/gdt200/images/lunatic.jpg

So, that would be my answer.... Jousting. Pictures of jousters.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:15 pm
crown jewels, London buses (even though extinct!), Lord Ellpus in full flight (or is that fright!)m Buck House!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:21 pm
I think what Gus has done is OUTRAGEOUS!

He could at least have waited 'til I tidied up before taking my piccie.

Now.....as the Colonials seem to be making rather a hash of providing serious answers, I shall consult www.ellpuspedia.wotwot post haste.

Back in a jiffy..........
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:23 pm
<ahem>.........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3785155.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/01_january/27/culture.shtml
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:29 pm
London taxis (aren't they eliminating those now too?) and that statue of that guy in Trafalgar square, some admiral or other, supposed to be famous but the pigeons seem to like him.

(How the bloody heck am I supposed to spell Trafalgar with the way they pronounce it?)

Lest we forget, car henge. No. Car henge is in Arizona or someplace like that. That thing they patterned car henge after.

London Bridge. Wait, that's in Arizona too.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 12:42 am
Not sure why people think that London buses have been "eliminated" - I just looked out of the window and counted three in the street outside. They have been replacing old 1950s & 60s buses with more modern models in recent years, maybe that's the source of the confusion?

As for the taxis, they are not being removed either.

I must say that it is not helpful to Brits when foreigners keep these stupid stereotypes alive. Can you imagine what it's like living in a second-rate theme park? Having to speak in a Dick van Dyke accent all the time?

Is this collage meant to be an ironic or naive look at stereotypes of England or Britain?

You don't seem terribly sure about the England/Britain thing - most of the examples mentioned are from London, which is just one city in just one country (England) which is just one part of the United Kingdom...

My suggestions however

Scots tartan
Welsh costume (tall hats etc)
Cornish pasty
English breakfast
Union Flag teapot/alarm clock/swimsuit/bowler hat etc (ironic?)

(The UK flag is called the Union Flag, not the Union Jack. It is only called a "jack" when it is being flown on a ship at sea)

Bulldog
Spitfire
London Transport roundel
Steam engine
A chav dressed in Burberry items
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 01:13 am
contrex wrote:
Not sure why people think that London buses have been "eliminated" - I just looked out of the window and counted three in the street outside. They have been replacing old 1950s & 60s buses with more modern models in recent years, maybe that's the source of the confusion?

As for the taxis, they are not being removed either.

I must say that it is not helpful to Brits when foreigners keep these stupid stereotypes alive. Can you imagine what it's like living in a second-rate theme park? Having to speak in a Dick van Dyke accent all the time?

Contrex - how da hell would we know - we live on the other side of the world.

But...I thought England WAS some sort of theme park - it IS rather different to what I'm used to! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 12:12 pm
Me...

...but now I do feel a touch French :wink:

...more later!

S
x
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 12:45 pm
contrex wrote:
I just looked out of the window and counted three in the street outside.

How could you? I think, you're on power cut since this morning. (Or flooded.) Laughing
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 12:21 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
contrex wrote:
I just looked out of the window and counted three in the street outside.

How could you? I think, you're on power cut since this morning. (Or flooded.) Laughing

There's no power cut here in Purley where I am staying with English friends. The buses don't need electric power, they use diesel. Neither do the window or my eyes. No flood yet...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 12:23 am
I know - my remark was done in a (bad) black humour about what happened in London during the last two days (Hammersmith/Piccadilly area).
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 01:38 pm
Gee Walt, I thought you were going to tell us about 'Fish and Chips'
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 01:57 pm
Mathos wrote:

In case you thought that Walter was a Yank, he's not, he's German, and a very nice bloke too.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 02:04 pm
Mathos wrote:

Well, I could, actually: I really miss it, wrapped in yesterday's "ECHO Late Night Extra", with either vinegar or cider, and fish with skin in thick battering ... ...

But you can't get the sixties back.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 02:20 pm
'Eileens Chippy on Grey Mare Lane, six penneth of chips and a penny's worth of peas.

(Contrex, I know Walter well)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 02:31 pm
Mathos wrote:
(Contrex, I know Walter well)

I heavily oppose.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 02:54 pm
Thanks for that Walt!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 03:34 pm
pt wrote-

Quote:
Any other ideas?

A pic of a pub after a bit of a dust-up has taken place between rival soccer fans.

Or

8 Morris dancers asleep in the sun next to a table full of empty pint pots with ivy in the background and a church tower in the distance.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 04:30 pm
http://www.87thscale.info/images/Berolina0217.jpg

Spendios wrote ----- 8 Morris dancers asleep in the sun next to a table full of empty pint pots with ivy in the background and a church tower in the distance.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Morris Dancers were all the rage in Shakesperian times. Some times called The original Elizabethan Age. We were in Tuder Tymes

Professional Morris Dancing quickly became the the Total Mint. Well know for having phun phun phun till dady took the Morris Dancer away.
Nearly everything you bought had a Morris Dancing feature,

Morris Motors even produced A Morris Dancers version of their popular station wagon. Notice the Tudor wood decor on the bodywork, it matches the walls of Tudor buildings
0 Replies