The Personality of Hats

Sun 25 May, 2003 07:31 pm
From helmets to fedoras to baseball caps and bonnets, through the centuries hats have often been worn as utilitarian head gear as well as symbolic fashion statements and accessories.

Do you wear hats? Why or why not?

Describe some of your favorite hats you own and tell us why they are your favorites.

Here are a few websites of interest regarding hats:

The history of hats.

Women's Hats in the early 1900's

Helpful hints including hat etiquette, matching a hat with your outfit, and overcoming hat hair.

More handy tips for hats.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 12,364 • Replies: 67
Topic Closed

Butrflynet

Sun 25 May, 2003 07:34 pm
I don't own many hats but love looking at them on others. One of my favorite hats is one of those comical oversized top hats that Jimney Cricket wears. I mostly wear hats for the humor aspect. If it makes others smile, I'm happy. Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Sun 25 May, 2003 07:44 pm
For me a hat is just part of my uniform, when I am cooking for people. I have longish curly hair, so a cap is required in the kitchen. Outside of that, I don't wear em at all, even in the winter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 25 May, 2003 07:47 pm
errrrrrrr, i need another poll option. something along the lines of 'i'll wear a hat at the drop of a hat'.

I love to wear hats and have many. I've ended up with a hat box collection as a result, and those dang things can be expensive!

My favourite hats could be described as 'picture' hats. Big and floppy. They're pretty and fun and they're also practical - keep snow/rain/sun/wind out of my face. One of my favs this past winter was a formed bucket-style with alternating panels of cream and black - very hmmmmmm Rosalind Russell, in one of her business girl movies. For spring, I've got a lovely little black straw dealie, sort of a bowler, with a victorian-style pin on it. I wear it with a black swing coat and a long black skirt, with lace up boots, and carry an umbrella on those funky foggy days we get this time of year. I say spit-spot a lot when I'm wearing that get up. :wink:
0 Replies

Rae

Sun 25 May, 2003 07:48 pm
Hi Butrflynet!

I have two blue baseball caps. I like to don a hat when I'm fishing, as well as when I'm doing work that I know will make me sweat ~ like today when I worked in the laundry room of my hotel for nine hours. My sporty A2K hat kept my hair out of my face and off my neck ~ made for much cooler working conditions!

Even though I am WAY far removed from being a cowgirl, I'd love to own a Stetson someday ~ those hats are awesome!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sun 25 May, 2003 07:59 pm
Gotcha covered EhBeth. I had the I love hats in there as an option the first time but for some reason it got "dropped". Wink It's fixed now!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 25 May, 2003 08:16 pm
B,

It robably got "dropped" because the way the posting oage is setup sometimes makes people think that the last poll option is added when it isn't. It needs to be added before the post is submitted.
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 25 May, 2003 08:27 pm
I like hats, but I can't find styles that both flater my face and suit my style. So, I voted for the cold and sun protection.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 25 May, 2003 09:18 pm
I love your hat, butrflynet!

When I was in high school, I had one that was similar, wide-brimmed white straw (but fine straw, almost like linen), that I would swan around in like a 30's-era Hollywood starlet. I'd wear it to the beach with a sarong/pareo over my swimsuit. LOVED it.

Also had a fedora around then, a real one -- loved that, too.

Those were in my more fashion-forward days -- now I occasionally don my Greek fisherman's hat in the winter, but that's about it.

Now, the sozlet, on the other hand, has a total hat fetish. Very Happy Right now her favorite is pink on one side and pink stripes on the other -- very fetching.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 25 May, 2003 09:19 pm
Oh, and my avatar reminds me that I do wear headscarves/ bandanas now and then, though not red polkadots.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sun 25 May, 2003 10:48 pm
Hi Soz,

I have a small collection of graphics of various hats. I am going to start using some of them to change my avatar now and then.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sun 25 May, 2003 10:57 pm
This is another of my favorite hat graphics. I just love the changes in personality that hats offer. The other one was more of a layed back southern hospitality look. This new one gives a coy, flirtatious air to the woman.

Littlek, take a look at some of those website links I posted in the original post. There are hat suggestions for various face shapes as well as what type of hats to wear with what type of clothing. You might find the ideas helpful.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Sun 25 May, 2003 11:26 pm
Butrflynet<

I wear a cap for medicinal reasons should I be out in the sun for more than five minutes. You see, I have a bald head which has some pre-cancerous spots on it. My doctor says a cap should be worn to shield my naked head and to keep these spots from becoming more serious.

Two popular musicals deal briefly with hats. Sunday in the Park with George has a song called "Finishing the Hats" delivered eloquently in the original cast by Mandy Patinkin.

In Company, a musical of the '70s, Elaine Stritch asked "Does anyone still wear a hat?" in her show-stopping number "The Ladies who Lunch."

I assume the genius lyricist Stephen Sondheim must have an affinity for hats since he penned the lyrics for, among many others, Sunday in the Park with George and Company.

Having lived for longer than a half-century, I have seen hats come and go as a fashion accessory for women. When I was a child, for example, a woman who didn't wear a hat in church was scoffed at. I don't think the same would be true today.

I think the current fascination with women's hats began in 1997 with the movie Titanic whose heroine, played by Kate Winslett, was first seen in a stunning "picture" hat. At this point, one wondered whether or not a hat was upstaging the gigantic Titanic.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Sun 25 May, 2003 11:48 pm
I usually wear a baseball cap,even though I dont play baseball.
For the last few months I have been wearing a combat helmet.I prefer my baseball cap.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 26 May, 2003 12:42 am
williamhenry3 wrote:

I think the current fascination with women's hats began in 1997 with the movie Titanic whose heroine, played by Kate Winslett, was first seen in a stunning "picture" hat. At this point, one wondered whether or not a hat was upstaging the gigantic Titanic.

I think it might have began a bit earlier then that when Lady Diana began wearing them. She wore them as both a fashion statement and shield from the press. I always thought she had wonderful taste in hats and knew exactly how to wear them to look her best.
Butrflynet

Mon 26 May, 2003 01:07 am
I began wearing hats as a young
lawyer because it helped me to
establish my professional identity.
Before that, whenever I was at a
meeting, someone would ask me
to get coffee
... Bella Abzug

I have a hat. It is graceful and
feminine and gives me a certain
dignity, as if I were attending a
state funeral or something.
Someday I may get up enough
courage to wear it,
instead of carrying it
... Erma Bombeck 

I thought I would dress
in baggy pants,
big shoes,
a cane and a derby hat,
everything a contradiction:
the pants baggy,
the coat tight,
the hat small and
the shoes large.
...Charlie Chaplin

There was ease in Casey's manner
as he stept into his place,
There was pride in Casey's bearing
and a smile on Casey's face,
And when responding to the cheers
he lightly doft his hat,
No stranger in the crowd could doubt,
't was Casey at the bat.
....Ernest Lawrence Thayer (1863- ?)
0 Replies

SealPoet

Mon 26 May, 2003 06:13 am
The way you wear your hat
The way you sip your tea...

My favorite hat has just about reached the end of its days. An authentic Indiana Jones fedora made by Stetson. Bought it at Quincy Market over twenty years ago... Faded, abused, looks like Indiana hisself wore it through the ruins.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 26 May, 2003 10:01 am
Heya SealPoet,

If you're looking to replace that fedora anytime soon, here's a helpful site with many sources for the hat as well as tips for what to look for in a quality fedora.

The Indy Fedora
0 Replies

SealPoet

Mon 26 May, 2003 10:18 am
Thanks indeedy. Oh for when men used to wear hats...
0 Replies

quinn1

Mon 26 May, 2003 04:50 pm
Hats are great unfortunately we dont get the occassion to wear them much anymore. Even as a young gal I remember seeing many women going to social gatherings, church and such wearing hats...dont see it that often these days.
Mostly I don a baseball cap to keep the elements from distressing me. I like many types of hats, and actually do look good in hats but, eh...neither a want or need so, the baseball cap it is.