Medical Doctor vs. Physicians' Assistant

bobdole

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 02:05 pm
@cjhsa,
This is not true. PAs can be the sole provider in the ED and other places and often see the same complexity of patients as their MD colleagues.
0 Replies

bobdole

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 02:11 pm
@me1985,
They can open their own practice in many states, but must have a doc "approve" them. A simplification but accurate
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 02:16 pm
@bobdole,
bobdole wrote:

This thread is full misinformation. You really shouldn't comment on things you don't know or understand.

Jackass? Can I call you jackass? Mr. Jackass if you want me to be more formal. You're responding to posts that are almost 8 year's old (EmilyGreen posted on Tue 18 Jul, 2006 07:13 pm and Sozobe posted on Sun 23 Jul, 2006 07:22 pm). Almost a century in internet time. Rolling Eyes Obviously things have changed since then in terms public policy in this arena. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Old PhD

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 03:17 pm
@Phoenix32890,
The PA position was designed to expand rural and intercity care. It has gotten out of control. An MD spends at least 6 to 8 years in school and then at least 1 year internship and up to 6 years in resident practice. The PA does NOT need any pre-degree or training and goes for 2 years in general medical knowledge and focuses in assisting doctors in history and physical and some basic care. They are not trained in pharmacology and should not be allowed to prescribe medications. They are not doctors and should not be treated as doctors. I personally would prefer to be treated by a nurse practitioner as they have a minimum of 6 years of training and usually must have at least 2-4 years of focused experienced to be licensed. I think PA's have gotten out of control but lazy doctors and an insurance controlled medical environment. I am a PhD in medical sciences and would prefer to be seen and consult with a MD ... The usage of PA's is out of control and should be stopped. If one wants to be a doctor, be treated as a doctor or earn what a doctor does - than become a doctor and invest 10 to 12 years to become a doctor.
0 Replies

Old PhD

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 03:19 pm
@EmilyGreen,
The PA position was designed to expand rural and intercity care. It has gotten out of control. An MD spends at least 6 to 8 years in school and then at least 1 year internship and up to 6 years in resident practice. The PA does NOT need any pre-degree or training and goes for 2 years in general medical knowledge and focuses in assisting doctors in history and physical and some basic care. They are not trained in pharmacology and should not be allowed to prescribe medications. They are not doctors and should not be treated as doctors. I personally would prefer to be treated by a nurse practitioner as they have a minimum of 6 years of training and usually must have at least 2-4 years of focused experienced to be licensed. I think PA's have gotten out of control but lazy doctors and an insurance controlled medical environment. I am a PhD in medical sciences and would prefer to be seen and consult with a MD ... The usage of PA's is out of control and should be stopped. If one wants to be a doctor, be treated as a doctor or earn what a doctor does - than become a doctor and invest 10 to 12 years to become a doctor.
0 Replies

Alouette80829

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 03:04 pm
@EmilyGreen,
I don't know if this is always the case, but every PA that I've seen refers to herself as "Doctor" so and so, and the office staff refers to her as "Doctor" so and so, and on the prescription bottle it shows it's been prescribed by "Doctor" so and so. Hey folks, I don't know what you want to call this, but I call it fraud. The first thing that comes to the mind of the average person is that the PA is an actual medical doctor. This kind of misrepresentation is yet another scam of the medical/pharmaceutical industry. Enjoy!
0 Replies

marianne carlson

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 10:44 am
@EmilyGreen,
I agree! I will never see another PA , again! They are nothing but a waste of time & money! I knew more about my conditions than they did . That's not saying much, either! I received no help of any kind. I will only go to an after hours clinic or the ER , if needed, while my DR is on vacation ( or whatever ) from now on!
0 Replies