Michael Schmidt, raw-milk renegade

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 03:01 pm
Michael Schmidt came to the Stratford Chefs School when I was there as a guest lecturer, and I have been fascinated with his story ever since. At the time he lectured, he was in the midst of his troubles with the Canadian government and the dairy board, and info about him was hard to come by. I was pleased to find this link today about his farm:

http://www.realmilk.com/summer2001.html

I already know a few raw milk fanatics here, but thought this article might be an inspiration for discussion on the topic. One thing the article did not mention is that there were many clients of Schmidt's who were lactose-intolerant, but could consume his raw milk without any problems.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,147 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 04:10 pm
Thanks for raising this issue, cav. I used to buy raw-milk cheddar here in Seattle, but that seems to have gone away. I also used to buy unpasteurized apple cider, but ditto.

Seems to me that we should have such choices as consumers, n'est-ce pas?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 04:11 pm
I think so D'artagnan...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 01:36 am
You can get a great variety of such ('even' raw milk cheese) here in Germany, not only at special organic supermarkets but even in small 'normal' ones. (Just counted them in my supermarket today: 14 raw milk cheeses plus more than a dozen camenberts, bries etc)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 05:59 am
Only a very small handful of raw-milk cheeses are availible here in the average supermarket. However, there is always a good selection in the specialty cheese shops.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 06:03 am
How about bovine tuberculosis and mastitis?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 06:06 am
Seems like a 'cow' problem, not a 'me' problem... Razz
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 06:24 am
cavfancier wrote:
Seems like a 'cow' problem, not a 'me' problem... Razz

When you drink the cow's contaminated milk, her problem then becomes your problem. Mad
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 06:50 am
Hasn't happened yet, so I don't worry about it. The biggest cases of widespread milk poisoning have been from commercial pasteurized milk, not small production raw milk, just to put the persecution from the dairy board in perspective. Here is an interesting quote from someone in support of pasteurization:

"Many bacteria are not killed by pasteurization. Rod-shaped
bacteria form a "spore" at the first sign of heat ("spore"
is the Greek word for "seed"). When the milk cools, the
spore re-emerges into its original form."

"Since 1973, 394 cases of salmonella have been
reported in Los Angeles County. Of these, 101 (25.6%)
were consumers of raw milk. Molecular fingerprinting
identified the strain of bacteria in ill persons as
the same as that found in raw milk samples."

Compare those figures and facts to the info in this article:

http://www.townsendletter.com/Oct_2002/milk1002.htm
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 06:51 am
Actually, I do not drink milk at all, but I like my raw-milk cheese.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 06:52 am
I love pasteurized whole milk!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 06:56 am
"A processing plant incorrectly pasteurized one day's supply of milk,
which resulted in four deaths and 150,000 salmonella poisonings"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 06:57 am
You couldn't possibly have had enough time to read the article...
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 02:37 pm
I've switched to soy milk because I so dislike commercial pasteurized milk. Am a raw milk fan, too, but I don't see it around... And raw-milk cheese. What kind do you get, Cav?

Yes, you can get undulant fever from infected cows but clean dairies don't have the problem. My understanding is that most dairies don't want to sell raw milk these days because of the liability.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 02:50 pm
More homogenized milk for NH. More raw milk and raw milk cheese for the rest of us with taste buds.

Mrs. SealPoet posted very eloquently on the unpasteurized milk they get, at another forum I post at. I wish I could steal her words, but bottom line, the taste, texture and flavour of raw milk can't be beat. I can sometimes find nice raw milk cheese at Cheese Magic. Sometimes, and if I know who to smile at. I suspect there's a secret handshake as well - I always feel like I'm in some funny Masterpiece Theatre piece about cheese smugglers when I'm at Cheese Magic.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 03:09 pm
This thread led to some 'investigations' by me:

my supermarket actually stores 235 different cheeses, of which are (altogether) 34 raw milk cheeses.
However, a normal wholesale dealer has more than 500 raw milk cheeses in stock.
The best raw milk - that with the "secret handshake" can be bought here on the market, local stuff from an organic farmer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 03:22 pm
Shocked

i always said i'd never go back to germany again, but you're making some fine selling points there, walter. especially if we can figure out a couple of secret handshakes! nudge nudge :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 07:48 pm
Tartarin, there are a few varieties, no soft cheeses though, generally. I like raw milk cheddar, goat and blue cheeses, and some of the washed-rind cheeses as well.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 01:34 am
No soft cheeses? You don't get camembert, brie or munster cheese, just to name some French?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 06:37 am
Oh sure we have lots of soft cheeses, but it is rare to find raw milk versions of them.
0 Replies