Can You see (big dipper) Ursa Major every night in Missouri?

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 03:46 pm
Me and my dad got into a bet. he thinks that you can see the big dipper every night-but because the earth is tilted and the earth rotates... you can't right? the stars don't move. but we rotate and revolve-help! Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,632 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 03:52 pm
You can see "the big dipper" anywhere in what we refer to as the northern hemisphere on any night when the atmosphere is free of clouds which would otherwise obscure your view. The "tilt" of the earth is 23 degrees (roughly), which is certainly not enough to ever "hide" Ursa Major from view in Missouri.

If anyone from the "Show Me" State doubts that, and the sky is not overcast (or you are not smack dab in the middle of downtown St. Louis), you can easily show them on any night of the year.

I'm not certain that Ursa Major can be seen below the Tropic of Capricorn, and i suspect it cannot. (The Tropic of Capricorn is an imaginary line which circles the glove 23 degrees south of the equator.) I'll see what i can come up with.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 04:01 pm
This page on the constellations of the Southern Hemisphere does not list Ursa Major. I have found no definite statement, but i believe that it would only be visible year round in the northern hemisphere above the Tropic of Cancer.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 06:32 pm
I believe you are right. The big dipper and Cassiopea are circumpolar constellations. Most of the others are equatorial, and many of them get quite low in the sky in winter. Some just plain go away. I seem to recall that Orion disappears from most of the northern latitudes in the winter. Elsewhere, he just gets kind of low in the sky.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 06:52 pm
I grew up in Missouri. Was always able to easily find the big and little dippers if it wasn't cloudy. Didn't matter what time of year it was, it was always there. Sometimes a little lower than others, but most nights driving across I-70 towards St. Louis it was out the passenger window (southern sky) just above the tree line.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 07:05 pm
and everytime she saw it, she wished upon these stars" Starlight starbright, first stars I see tonight... I wish I may I wish I might.....have this wish I wish tonight.... I wish to be in a better and more beautiful place and I wish to meet my prince and live happily ever after..... so you see, when you wish upon a star... dreams come true....
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 07:09 pm
The drinking gourd

Link
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:22 pm
roger, pretty sure it's the other way around--Orion is a winter constellation.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:31 pm
Cloudy tonight, username. Wait a bit, and I'll go look tomorrow.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 08:17 pm
Hmm, how did I miss this thread?

I live near the southern boundary of Mo, just north of 36 degrees.

Yes, both dippers are in plain view every night of the year, withstanding cloud cover. If the conditions are right I can see the big dipper in broad daylight as well..faintly of course, but she's always up there. I was just discussing this very subject with the wife about a month ago...she listened intently..or faked it at least.

Orion is a winter constellation, every fall he rises over the massive line of oaks across the street from me. Right now, I can not see a trace of him, but the oaks may be blocking him partly, and the lights from the next town over, kill my low horizon viewing. Orion is my favorite constellation, containing two of the "big boys"....powerhouses of the night sky, Betelguese and Rigel.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 09:21 am
I live almost as 40o north and can see ursa major yearround, except ewhen its cloudy and I can't see sh*t.

Rap
0 Replies