"Independence Day "help,Thanks!

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 01:25 am
There is a famous speech in this film .It begins with "Good morning ,Good morning .In this than an hour ,aircraft form here will join others form around the world. And you will be......"maybe it is this,I forget it.But I like it much.please help me to find it !Thank you very much !

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 07:02 am
Quote:
Good morning.. Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind. That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom...Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution...but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!
wikipedia
wardah

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 04:01 am
Yeah INDEPENDENCE DAY -- I remember this movie and I enjoyed it, sure it is'nt the original movie ever made or the best but it was what is out to be, combo alien attack movie of the 50's plus an all star disaster movie of the 70's...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:50 pm
ID4 was a reminiscence of the alien attacker films of the 50's, specifically, "Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers." Anyone taking it seriously needs to examine the genre. It's great fun and the really funny part is that the right wing politicians just love this film. It's an American nerd and a jock who save the world. It's plainly one of the most hilarious spoofs of the whole genre that nobody should notice they are doing it deadpan serious.
farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:05 pm
I loved the way they got a PG rating.People, no matter how careful they are of their language , dont use half ass vulgarisms like they had in this movie.
"IN THE WORDS OF MY GENERATION__UUUP YOUUUURRRRRSS" what a load.

Also, a number of actors just phoned it in. Jeff Goldbloom for example. He was so busy ad -libbing that he was neither witty nor astute. His way of clipping sentences I find terribly annoying. "Yes-yes, by ...all. means... lets...leave... the ...building. "
AT least Will Smith was believable.

AND THAT ARAB GUY at the end who was dancing around in celebration was an extra from the holding pen.

AND a Jumbo jet cannot outrun a shockwave.

OUTSIDE OF THAT, it really sucked big time.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:13 pm
Laughing So you did take it seriously.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 06:48 am
Of course I tried to take it seriously because every good science fiction movie must have some credibility. This movie fought me all the way. It wsnt trying to be a Leslie Nielsen Comedy but, on the other hand, it certainly couldnt be taken seriously. I think that this story could be remade into a damn good picture with a "plot" and not some CGI thing where the actors are merely there to hold scenes apart.

On the grand scale of things, I actually enjoyed "Ishtar" better than this.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 09:45 am
Save for "The Day the Earth Stood Still," there weren't any really serious sci-fi films in the 50's-60's, at least not made in Hollywood. There were some good British sci-fi films like the Quatermasser series. I don't believe the film was that unsuccessful in its desire to recreate those alien attack films of that era.

Simply no way I could ever enjoy "Ishtar" better -- I'm not sure you've tried to watch that film recently. Perhaps the bitter memory has faded.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 10:51 am
I saw a poll where that particular speech was voted the most corny scene in movie history.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 11:03 am
The movies it mimics are corny and to many, so bad they are good. The film encouraged Hollywood to churn out special effects extravaganzas by the carload, the same team coming up with the remake of "Godzilla," which didn't have the mysterious essence of the original. Some of these earlier films come off well because of their black-and-white cheesiness and mainly because they are the originals.

It took until the late 60's for a serious sci-fi film in color with state-of-the-art effects to somewhat change how the genre is approached: "2001: A Space Oldyssey." Then on to "Blade Runner" which was not critically received that well and did not do well at the box office, although now considered a classic sci-fi film.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 08:06 pm
Wiz, Im not saying that Indy Day was the only crappy sci fi movie ever mad. However, when the 50's "B" movies were being shown on TV, they were always shown in a Friday Night "Mystery Horrror Theater" with some local version of the original Comedy host "john Zacherly". Many of those movies were so bad that theuy were broken into by the host doing outrageous things just to let everybody know that the TV station "got it"

There were a number of good sci fis besides 2001,

Manchurian Candidate
Fail Safe
The Birds
ET
Indiana Jones(Raiders and Last ADventure only)
American Wrewolf in London
Back to the Future I
Ed Wood
Jaws
Terminator
Valley of Gwangi
Close Encounters
Contact

these are just ones that I recall off the top.

Independence Day aint one of those. It was complete corn as Wilso described, and fortunately the phones were available tothe actors to "phone it in" cause I saw no sparkle in anyones eyes except Will Smith, everybody else was dead.

Look wiz, I respect your superior knowledge about film as an industry. I will never be convinced that Indy DAy was anythging but a Plan 9 for today's audience. Itll be a laugher for future generations yetunborn, just as we laughed at Plan 9 and its "curtain" behind the dashboard of the spaceship.
I miss Mystery Science Theater 3000. They had the right attitude
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 08:09 pm
The only problem with MST3000 is that they didn't talk enough during the movies . . . Independence Day sucked, plain and simple . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 08:15 pm
Aw they gotta resurrect those MST3000's. I remember one time when they had the gumball machine dude full of gumballs and he was transformed into this giant intellect who sounded like one of our british posters . hed babble incessantly on and off topics and just go on . Through the show , they kept withdrawing gumballs until he was back as himself. It was genius, I say, genius.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 08:18 pm
Huh, I was wondering, when I saw this thread, if they'd made a movie of Ford's book -
Independence Day, Richard Ford
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 09:42 pm
farmerman wrote:
Wiz, Im not saying that Indy Day was the only crappy sci fi movie ever mad. However, when the 50's "B" movies were being shown on TV, they were always shown in a Friday Night "Mystery Horrror Theater" with some local version of the original Comedy host "john Zacherly". Many of those movies were so bad that theuy were broken into by the host doing outrageous things just to let everybody know that the TV station "got it"

There were a number of good sci fis besides 2001,

Manchurian Candidate
Fail Safe
The Birds
ET
Indiana Jones(Raiders and Last ADventure only)
American Wrewolf in London
Back to the Future I
Ed Wood
Jaws
Terminator
Valley of Gwangi
Close Encounters
Contact

these are just ones that I recall off the top.

Independence Day aint one of those. It was complete corn as Wilso described, and fortunately the phones were available tothe actors to "phone it in" cause I saw no sparkle in anyones eyes except Will Smith, everybody else was dead.

Look wiz, I respect your superior knowledge about film as an industry. I will never be convinced that Indy DAy was anythging but a Plan 9 for today's audience. Itll be a laugher for future generations yetunborn, just as we laughed at Plan 9 and its "curtain" behind the dashboard of the spaceship.
I miss Mystery Science Theater 3000. They had the right attitude

I love Mystery Science Theater but I don't believe they could do much with "Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers" as it was at least sincere in its depiction of aliens who believed we were schit to be exterminated. You know they could have been right considering what a mess we've made on this planet.

I'm not sure I consider "The Manchurian Candidate," "Fail Safe," "Jaws" nor "Ed Wood" as genuine sci-fi fare and "An American Werewolf In London" as horror fantasy was a big yawn for me.

It was Will Smith that sold the movie -- I even liked him in "I, Robot," because he made the character believable.

Your list of great sci-fi movie isn't a definitive list but I can appreciate why you listed them. I was concentrating on typical sci-fi of the 50's and 60's, although previous to those days we had "Things To Come" and "Metropolis," just two of the classics in sci-fi films history. Without looking them up, I don't believe any of your films are in the era where Hollywood was trying to hook people to come back to the movie theater. Maybe I would have listed "It Came From Outer Space" or "The Magnetic Monster" as more sincere attempts at sci-fi, but I do know I missed "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" as one of the era's best.
0 Replies

whitesnow10

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 05:43 am
thanks!
Thank you for your helping! you know today is father's day .if one of you have being a father. I want to say you Happy father's day !thank you very much!
0 Replies

whitesnow10

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:44 pm
thank you!
0 Replies

whitesnow10

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 02:47 am
thanks!
thank you for all of you helping!
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 08:15 am
Yeah,

Good Hollywood Sci Fi films must be...

1. Terminator series (1,2 & 3)
2. Matrix triology
3. Contact (I love this film)
4. ET
5. Back to the Future Series
6. Jurassic park Part 1 can be seen as Sci Fi.
7. Minority Report
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 09:16 am
Likely a good time to start a top ten sci-fi film thread. Why don't you take the honors, vinsan.
0 Replies