Dying for a milk shake!

Sat 20 May, 2006 07:01 pm
Latly iv been drinking alot of milk shakes, just adding ice cream, and milk or chocolate milk and blending. Im getting board of the taste, and need an extra.....for lack of a better word.. KICK!

So if you have any "recipes" for milk shakes or very tasty combinations that dont include fruit or vegtables "im get enought of those as is", id love to try them!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 4,784 • Replies: 27
Topic Closed
No top replies

roger

Sat 20 May, 2006 07:50 pm
For some reason, finely chopped walnut comes to mind.
And I know what you mean. There are people who would turn perfectly good food into a creamed brocolli smoothie.
Montana

Sat 20 May, 2006 08:04 pm
Oh great, now I want a milkshake Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 20 May, 2006 08:14 pm
You bring this up just a day after Diane and I had extremely mediocre chocolate milkshakes at the Owl Cafe in Albuquerque. Pfui!!!!

Now, me, I can understand the whirred walnuts.

Me, being me, start to think of a bit of rum.

But, moving away from alcohol and all that,

think of what are famous pairs. For example, chocolate and raspberry...

go to a fancy grocery store and look at the ingredients in the candy bars - some things just seem to go together. In fact, that's the whole thing of getting a handle on cuisines.. some flavors work together, whatever culture.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sat 20 May, 2006 08:17 pm
Malt!
0 Replies

Chai

Sat 20 May, 2006 08:21 pm
Yes!

malt, malt, malt!
0 Replies

roger

Sat 20 May, 2006 08:38 pm
Malt! Yes, malt, barley, and a kiss of the hops. BEER SHAKE.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 20 May, 2006 08:47 pm
Funny, I stifled saying MALT...

Well, hey, malt wouldn't have helped the Owl's milkshakes the days I ordered them.
0 Replies

Miller

Sun 21 May, 2006 09:25 am
sozobe wrote:
Malt!

So, why not just throw in some Ovaltine (Malted type )?
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 21 May, 2006 09:37 am
lots of good things to try, why not experiment?

I usually skip the milk and ice cream and go the fruit smoothy route. One cup of flavored yogurt, a hand full of frozen fruit (a frozen banana half is a must, and some liquid (milk, soy milk, fruit juice). No ice for me, but most people like their smoothies with some ice. When freezing fruit, if you do it yourself: pit, peel, core, etc and then chop fruit. The fruit will freeze together and especially with the bananas this can become a problem when you want to seperate them for smoothies. Try to freeze in snack-size zip-bags or wrap about 1/2 banana-portions in saran wrap and put them all in one big zip-bag. You should use the frozen fruit within a few months. I guess it's easier to buy already frozen fruit, but you can't usually find frozen bananas in the freezer section.

Some good combos:

1/2 frozen banana
handfull frozen dark cherries
handful frozen blueberries
one yogurt container (lemon, cherry, blueberry or even plain)
1/2 cup or more of almond milk

Or

whole frozen banana
one container of chocolate yogurt
liquid of your choice

Mmmmm..... think I'll have one now.
0 Replies

Miller

Sun 21 May, 2006 10:01 am
I can see the CALORIES from here.
Shocked
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Sun 21 May, 2006 10:12 am
Peanut butter is key.

Pretty much every day I have a shake or two, but a healthy one. 2 cups skim milk, packet of chocolate Met-Rx, couple scoops of vanilla frozen yogurt, two big tablespoons of peanut butter, throw a couple oreos in there, ice and blend. Good stuff right there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 21 May, 2006 11:38 am
Those look yummy, littlek.

I often use some combination of yogurt (plain ol' yogurt, not Slappy's healthy kind), bananas (frozen or fresh) and mangoes (frozen chunks from Trader Joe's). Frozen bananas and frozen mangoes both lend a nice smooth ice-creamy texture when pureed, all by themselves.

Then I'll add some kind of fruit juice, or milk, or berries, or whatever to round things out (changes according to whim and contents of the fridge).

Malt (I was in a hurry!) can make more milk-based shakes (ice-cream-based, especially) more full and satisfying. But the basics have to be there for the malt to help.
0 Replies

Zion - I

Thu 25 May, 2006 04:10 pm
Wicked, didnt exspect so mant reply's and awesome combinations. So i took a little something from everyones, including my parents cubaords!
Also, yes, im only 15, but my parents allow me to have a drink from time to time, so its all good.

2 cups ben and jerry's chocolate ice cream
1 cup baily's original
1/2 cup penut butter
1/2 cup fluff "the white goo that is basicly permently gooE marshmellows"
1 tbs vannila exstract
And a BIG ASS scurt of chocolate fudge

Yes, i know its screaming HAMMERED and HEART ATTCK, but try it, you will foam at the mouth its so good.
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 25 May, 2006 07:20 pm
Malt and toasted almonds sprinkled on top.
0 Replies

welovefrobos

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 01:12 am
@roger,
you may try milkshake with frozen banana, it is totally different from other..
blueml

Wed 19 Dec, 2012 04:48 am
@welovefrobos,
I like Malti and thick.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 8 Jan, 2013 11:01 am
Speaking about "dying for a milk shake...:
A Brief History of Milkshake-Related Mayhem
http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2013/01/milkshake-crimes-history.html?mid=grubstreet--20130107
tsarstepan

Tue 17 Feb, 2015 08:01 am
@tsarstepan,
Ever wonder where milkshakes come from?
http://i59.tinypic.com/v4oyf7.png
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jobarrow/you-can-never-have-too-many-lizards
0 Replies

larryglz

Tue 17 Feb, 2015 11:27 am
making me hungry!
0 Replies